Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • beardiedog
    • By beardiedog 24th Aug 08, 12:09 PM
    • 491 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    beardiedog
    • 24th Aug 08, 12:09 PM
    • 24th Aug 08, 12:09 PM
    MoneySupermarket is cheapest for me so far, then confused. Saving of £50 with M&S over my current insurers Budget with exactly the same benefits and the quoted price includes everything. By paying an extra £8 I can reduce my excess from £250 down to £100. Gonna see if I can get any cashback deals now and see if I can reduce it any further. I'm over 50 and the likes of Saga have failed to come up with a better deal than other companies.
  • IceHockeyHair
    • 24th Aug 08, 10:36 PM
    • 24th Aug 08, 10:36 PM
    you need to be careful with moneysupermarket because they don't ask all the questions that affect your price.

So they can appear the cheapest, but when you call the insurer to take out the policy they ask you the extra questions and the price goes up. Bit sneaky of moneysupermarket if you ask me
    • beardiedog
    • By beardiedog 26th Aug 08, 10:28 AM
    • 491 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    beardiedog
    • 26th Aug 08, 10:28 AM
    • 26th Aug 08, 10:28 AM
    After linking through to M&S I checked that all the correct answers had been transferred across before I went ahead. No cashback gimmicks like other insurers just an upfront quote with everything included, it's up to you then remove anything you don't require.
  • Wutang
    • 26th Aug 08, 7:05 PM
    • 26th Aug 08, 7:05 PM
    MoneySuperMarket is a nightmare site...avoid at all costs - obviously this is an impartial opinion but - they do not ask the right questions, their rates and products are usually out of date and the information you leave with them is always passed on to third party advertisers...

there are so many better alternatives.
  • getlost1234
    • 6th Sep 08, 4:05 PM
    Quick & Good Quotes
    • 6th Sep 08, 4:05 PM
    I just did a quote and reduced my bill from £422 (from norwich union) to £309 (esure). The only change I made, that I will probably should check with Norwich Union to give them a chance to price match, is the value of the car as it has gone down year on year.

Probably worth noting that as insurance companies tend to pay out based on the value of the car for right off's rather than what you said it was on your policy and paid for.

PS recent experience with insurance companies when making a claim is that all the big insurers have subsiduary businesses responsible the repairing for claiments i.e your precious porche or what ever you desire wll be repaired by the insurer who does not provide as good a repair as the manufacturers (although they do happen to be cheaper). Also, if you decide to get it repaired by your cars manufacturer then the insurance company will pay you (minus your excess) the amount it would cost them to repair, hence leaving you with a large billand all the responsiblities of managing the repair logistics.
  • Aaron
    • 15th Sep 08, 3:55 PM
    • 15th Sep 08, 3:55 PM
    Found the cheapest quote in my renewal search but it's higher excess and only a tenner cheaper than my bank's special offer and I trust the bank more. Also MoneySupermarket has a very restrictive list of occupations and it seems to be using an address file that's over a decade out of date, showing long-abolished counties. Not a good sign.
  • bluesp
    • 19th Sep 08, 12:15 AM
    MoneySupermarket.com waste of time
    • 19th Sep 08, 12:15 AM
    I've just been on moneysupermarket.com and got some quotes. I chose one after some time of comparing. I then filled out a lengthy quote form, only to be told right at the end that there was not sufficient information to quote me and that I had to phone the company. I find this ludicrous, as I have no irregularities on my quote form. I am as normal as they come. There was no reason to not let me proceed. I went for another quote and the same thing happened. This is just a watse of my time and false advertising as far as I'm concerned. If they really think it will lure customers to phone up so that they can sales ptich to them, they are very wrong in this case.
  • kim wilson
    • 24th Sep 08, 2:20 PM
    Glad I Did!
    • 24th Sep 08, 2:20 PM
    I used moneysupermarket & through AA saved a staggering 80% (£128.15) on my home contents insurance renewal, switching from Direct Line to Homesure (Zurich)! Better cover & lower excess too. Price included £20 extra saving, for allowing them to quote for my car policy renewal.
  • batcatz
    I saved £249
    Hi, I reduced my car insurance from £368 to £184 via Money supermarket comparison site. I tried all the other comparisons listed and M>rethan was by far the cheapest.

I then went via Quidco to M>rethan and ran another quote for Women's Car Insurance and also normal car insurance. Got it down to £179 (normal) and Women's was £184. I chose the Women's because I should get £65 cashback from quidco, which reduces my car insurance to £119. Excellent saving, thanks Martin!!

I noticed my car insurance was going up by £20 plus per year.

I have also got much better cover... eg. courtesy car
    Last edited by batcatz; 27-10-2008 at 4:52 PM. Reason: added insurance co + comment
    • LazySaver
    • By LazySaver 29th Oct 08, 5:10 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    LazySaver
    I've attempted to use Money Supermarket but found, after going through the whole process and looking at a few quotes, that it was a waste of time:
    1. It can't cope with any modifications (we have a MPV with tinted windows which DOES count as a modification - as do alloys, unless they aren't an option)
    2. It can't cope with the registered owner/proposer not being the main driver. We have 2 cars both in my name but my wife is the main driver on one of them

I've used confused several times and it's been cheaper in the past but not the last 2 years - Now my renewal notice (esure) is better (by quite a long way).

The other thing I've found is that Car insurers just can't cope if you have a motorbike accident - They insist that you declare it as 'a loss' but you can only list it as a car accident (so you get loaded for something that is not related to the insurance being asked for)!
    • 27col
    • By 27col 9th Feb 09, 5:16 PM
    • 6,450 Posts
    • 4,215 Thanks
    27col
    I went to several insurer's sites from Moneysupermarket for a quote, but several of them would not produce the details of what I was insured for. So I left in a huff. Presumably this is a fault of the insurers concerned, but it is their loss. Virtually every insurer thought that my car was a different model to what it actually is.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • DoshHound
    BeardieDog's comment
    MoneySupermarket is cheapest for me so far, then confused. Saving of £50 with M&S over my current insurers Budget with exactly the same benefits and the quoted price includes everything. By paying an extra £8 I can reduce my excess from £250 down to £100. Gonna see if I can get any cashback deals now and see if I can reduce it any further. I'm over 50 and the likes of Saga have failed to come up with a better deal than other companies.
    Originally posted by beardiedog
    Very helpful. Many thanks for the heads up about Saga.
  • 0-----mikey-----0
    Stuck!
    Just come directly from a frustrating visit to MoneySupermarket.com.

This was the third site that I'd visited so I was getting pretty quick at putting my details in, but when I told it I was 'Employed/Self employed' it greyed out the boxes where you select your job title and field of employment ...couldn't put a cursor in the box to type anything manually and no drop-down available.

The session hadn't timed out, the page hadn't locked as I could hit the 'next button' which correctly told me I needed to input the details I was prevented from selecting, the browser (Google Chrome) was up to date, and I'm I.T. savvy enough to know it wasn't an issue with pop-ups or security settings.

If this is a case of MoneySupermarket.com programmers only testing with Internet Explorer then they don't deserve my custom, but it was a bit of a git having waded through so much of their site to hit a brick wall there.

Anyway, enough ranting, I've still got Norwich Union to try ...I'm arsey enough about pointless rebranding to not bother with them once they become Aviva (I never bought a Marathon bar since they renamed them 'Snickers' ...and look what happened to their market share ...that's consumer power!).

Mike
  • angie54321
    Same problem here - will not let me enter job description.

I use Google Chrome browser.

I was going to email them to let them know, but then thought - why should I waste my time? If they do not have the sense to check that the website works with all main browsers, then they are not very smart. Do I want a quote from a business that is not very clever, and makes stupid mistakes?

NO!
    • annecan
    • By annecan 12th May 09, 4:23 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    annecan
    moneysupermarket gets stuck at employment box
    still getting stuck - I'm using Google Chrome. Frustrating as near the end of the form.
    • TEDDYRUKSPIN
    • By TEDDYRUKSPIN 12th May 09, 5:15 PM
    • 1,504 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    TEDDYRUKSPIN
    Moneysupermarket is actually ok for car insurance only. And maybe for breakdown cover. I found that for everything else, I can get cheaper elsewhere i.e. life insurance, ASU, etc..... even home insurance.
    Motto: 'If you don't ask, you don't get!!'

Remember to say thank you to people who help you out!

Also, thank you to people who help me out.
  • FH Brit
    I've just been on moneysupermarket.com and got some quotes. I chose one after some time of comparing. I then filled out a lengthy quote form, only to be told right at the end that there was not sufficient information to quote me and that I had to phone the company. I find this ludicrous, as I have no irregularities on my quote form. I am as normal as they come. There was no reason to not let me proceed. I went for another quote and the same thing happened. This is just a watse of my time and false advertising as far as I'm concerned. If they really think it will lure customers to phone up so that they can sales ptich to them, they are very wrong in this case.
    Originally posted by bluesp

TRY AGAIN USING A DIFFERENT ADDSS/POSTCODE - You'd be surprised how bad a certain town is. Not saying that's it but that could be the reason.
  • Sargasso
    Money Supermarket
    The questions in Money Supermarket are too inflexible. Eg, I am purchasing a new car, it is not yet registered, so doesn't recognise the Registration No - I will be picking it up later in the week, so need insurance quotes. I gave up in the end as it would not progress past the first 'page'. It had a window indicating 'error', no matter how many times I completed the page, it would not accept the information nor could I contact them, for me anyway, it was a complete waste of time. :confused:
  • mysterywoman10
    Alert!!! Abuse of Private data and Compliance Issue
    Hello

I thought I would give you this feedback as I think it is very worrying and needs bringing to everyone's attention.

Last year I followed the advice here about renewing my car insurances and used go.compare first then moneysupermarket.com no problems got a good deal on both cars with gocompare. Thought no more of it and have used moneysupermarket.com in the past for other comparisons.

Yesterday on a totally unrelated matter I was checking for the first time my credit report and found a footprint had been left by an insurance company that a) I have had no dealings with and b) not made any applications to it appeared on my record although it related to my husband. This fingerprint was left last week.

Anyway I contacted the insurance company involved and after battling with front line reception staff was eventually put through to what I now know is one of the companies top troubleshooters. Cutting a long story short he rang me today to inform me that this fingerprint was generated by a Moneysupermarket.com search. Apparently if you run a search opting for the direct debit option some insurers do even at that point may leave a footprint on your credit file. Ok this may be old news to some BUT the point here is :-

I DID NOT RUN A SEARCH THIS YEAR WITH MONEYSUPERMARKET.COM they have done it themselves on checking my emails which I hadn't bothered to read until today I find they have send me one with the top 5 quotes in for renewal for this year. So they have kept my data for a year and used it to run a search on my behalf!!!! It was done exactly a month before renewal was due as well.

I'm furious and have made a complaint waiting to hear back from them. This for me raises a lot of issues and not least that the insurance companies would have given firm quotes based on the data provided how an earth would moneysupermarket.com know whether any important information had changed? Plus they have instigated changing my credit profile/footprint without any consent or permission from me whatsoever.

This really is serious mis-use of private data.

Incidentally go.compare have sent a reminder to use there site again, which is fair enough but to run a search on someone's behalf that is outrageous particularly when it leaves a credit footprint.

I very much doubt that I am the only person this has happened to and thought I would flag it up.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

185Posts Today

1,533Users online

Martin's Twitter