Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Joints of beef in the slow cooker (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Joints of beef in the slow cooker
Views: 163,681
# 1
studentnurse
Old 06-12-2005, 6:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Exclamation Joints of beef in the slow cooker

Got two joints of beef reduced in my local supermarket today. I've searched the mega-index for recipes (theres not alot on there for joints of beef) and wondered if any of you could recommend a recipe? How do I cook the beef on its own? How much water do i add ? Do I need to add anything other than water?

I'm new to the slow cooker, only had it a week or so and todays the first time Ive had chance to use it - Got some ham broth in there at the minute.

I'm open to any suggestions at all. One joint is topside and the other silverside.

As a newbie Id appreciate your advice,

Karen x
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
wigginsmum
Old 06-12-2005, 6:30 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I usually bung mine in with onions, carrots and a generous splash of red wine, then let it cook all day, then remove the meat, transfer juice to saucepan and thicken into gravy with cornflour just before serving. The meat comes out so tender we just pull it apart with 2 forks - no chance of carving it. I've also cooked joints of meat with nothing added whatsoever.

Jules
The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wigginsmum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Ticklemouse
Old 06-12-2005, 6:32 PM

Hi studentnurse.

When I do beef in the SC, I just season it as normal then put it in with about 1 inch of water as I love to make a nice beefy gravy at the end.

Some people don't put water in or add an onion to the water, to make the gravy richer. It's personal preference, so trial and error is your best bet - you will like it done differently from others.

HTH
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ticklemouse For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
studentnurse
Old 06-12-2005, 7:15 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of the beef cooked in red wine.
How long would I have to cook this for? I'm wanting to leave it cooking all day whilst Im out at work.
# 5
Ticklemouse
Old 06-12-2005, 7:38 PM

Substitute red wine for water - it will be fine. Leave it on all day on low.

You may find that sealing the meat in a hot frying pan will be more to your taste. I have done it both ways ie sealing it or just putting it in the pot 'raw'. Again, it's a matter of taste. The thing is, you will have your SC for years so you will have to experiment a few times first before you find out which way suits you best. There isn't really a 'wrong' way IMO
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ticklemouse For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
wigginsmum
Old 06-12-2005, 7:43 PM

I put mine on at 7.30am before I leave for work, on the medium setting (not High, not Warm), and it's perfect when I get in at 6.00pm. I even put in chops and diced meat straight from the freezer and it's fine.

Jules
The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wigginsmum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Queenie
Old 07-12-2005, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studentnurse
Got two joints of beef reduced in my local supermarket today. ... wondered if any of you could recommend a recipe? How do I cook the beef on its own? How much water do i add ? Do I need to add anything other than water?

I'm new to the slow cooker, only had it a week or so and todays the first time Ive had chance to use it - Got some ham broth in there at the minute.

I'm open to any suggestions at all. One joint is topside and the other silverside.
Welcome Karen

I think I might be too late for your immediate enquiry

For future reference, I bought two HUGE beef joints from Sainsbury's earlier this year (great bargains!) and put them both into the SC. No water or stock or fluid of *any* kind!

Just as well, because the juices which came from the joints really filled up any available space in the SC!!!!

Silverside and topside can be cooked in pretty much the same way, so there isn't a need to distinguish when it comes to slow cooking - they will both come out very well!

I cooked mine, overnight on a LOW setting (approx 8 - 10hrs) and they were literally soft as butter in a heatwave! These were large-for-us joints of meat. However, once they had both cooled they firmed up a tad (which was great for my preference when it comes to slicing )

If you could give us some idea of weight, that would help because (obviously?) the weight of those joints would make a difference in how long you would/should cook them for - yes, even in a slow cooker.
Did you plan to cook them both in the SC at the same time? Or, individually?
Were you planning to eat them immediately, or to eat some, freeze the rest?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
# 8
studentnurse
Old 11-12-2005, 9:58 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I'm cooking one of the joints today so thanks for all the advice. The meat is 0.920 kg. I've added about an inch of water (as reccomended) as Im a bit wary of not putting any fluid in with it. I've put it on auto and I'm hoping it'll be ready about 6ish? I hadnt thought of cooking them both together and the other joints still in the freezer, wish Id seen your post a bit sooner queenie !

Karen x
# 9
ltlmiles5
Old 12-12-2005, 11:36 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I normally buy the packets labelled 'Stewed beef', that is it's for stewing and dice it up, and fry it with 2 onions. Then I put them in the slow cooker with lots of sliced raw carrots, potatoes cut into small chunks, and boiling hot water to cover all veg. I also break up a cube of Beef Stock into it.

I leave it on low, if leaving from morning till dinner time, or auto if from lunch to dinner.

It comes out really gorgeous, and tender. You can also add mushrooms to it.

I haven't tried putting in a whole joint though....

You'll find that buying beef for stewing will be cheaper than other joints. I cut away any fatty bits anyway, and as it's slowly cooked, it's still very tender.
# 10
JackieO
Old 12-12-2005, 1:08 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Smile Slow cooking, I am hooked

Hi I bought my Slow cooker and used it for the first time on Saturday. I did some stewing beef with lots of raw chopped up veggies.about 1/2 pint of bisto powdered gravy mixed in cold water over the top. I also chucked in some Mushrooms as well.It went on at 9.30 a.m. and was dished up at about 8.00 p.m whilst watching X-factor. Brilliant meal and sooooo simple.
I have got a bad arm after falling last week, and it's in bandages, so I am a bit stuck for doing much in the way of cooking. My sis-in-law came to stay on Friday to help look after me and she is so impressed that she is going to buy one when she gets home. We cooked a Liver and bacon casserole yesterday all day and last night seperated it up into three dishes, and when col,d froze it. It means that I can have three cooked meals without too much effort on my part when ever I want .my stitches don't come out until next Monday so I need easy to prepare meals. I can't wait until I'm better to have a go at a chilli or a curry. I got it from Argos and it was reduced to 11.49 and it's the best money I have ever spent. Only one bowl to wash up afterwards as well. Fantasic I am totally hooked on slow-cooking
R.I.P Alan 17/5/1933-14/7/2003
# 11
ltlmiles5
Old 12-12-2005, 5:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Tip: If you use just boiled hot water, it quickens the cooking process and you use less electricity. The food starts cooking straight away, instead of having to wait for the water to warm up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieO
Hi I bought my Slow cooker and used it for the first time on Saturday. I did some stewing beef with lots of raw chopped up veggies.about 1/2 pint of bisto powdered gravy mixed in cold water over the top. I also chucked in some Mushrooms as well.It went on at 9.30 a.m. and was dished up at about 8.00 p.m whilst watching X-factor. Brilliant meal and sooooo simple.
I have got a bad arm after falling last week, and it's in bandages, so I am a bit stuck for doing much in the way of cooking. My sis-in-law came to stay on Friday to help look after me and she is so impressed that she is going to buy one when she gets home. We cooked a Liver and bacon casserole yesterday all day and last night seperated it up into three dishes, and when col,d froze it. It means that I can have three cooked meals without too much effort on my part when ever I want .my stitches don't come out until next Monday so I need easy to prepare meals. I can't wait until I'm better to have a go at a chilli or a curry. I got it from Argos and it was reduced to 11.49 and it's the best money I have ever spent. Only one bowl to wash up afterwards as well. Fantasic I am totally hooked on slow-cooking
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ltlmiles5 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
black-saturn
Old 12-12-2005, 5:59 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I think basically as long as you have an onion any meat will taste nice done in a slow cooker.
# 13
charlies_mum
Old 31-12-2006, 3:50 PM

Question Beef in a slow cooker

I've got a 1.6 kg piece of beef that I want to cook in my slow cooker. Anyone know how long to cook it for, and how much water to put in.

I have tried it before, but the beef just crumbled, and I couldn't cut it.

Last edited by charlies_mum; 31-12-2006 at 3:54 PM.
# 14
lil_me
Old 31-12-2006, 3:59 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Send a message via MSN to lil_me

I wrapped mine in kitchen foil, put about 1 1/2 pints of stock in (but my slow cooker is big) but some herbs, mushrooms and onion. Took about 3 hours I think, that was a piece just over 2kg. I just kept checking with my meat thermometer. Left it a good 20 minutes to rest so I could carve it.
One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
The Following User Says Thank You to lil_me For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Miss Kitty Fantastico
Old 01-01-2007, 6:48 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I cook mine with no stock at all.

It doesnt shrink at all - which is great.

If you take it out and leave it for 10-20 mins to rest it will be easier to carve.
# 16
Dumyat
Old 01-01-2007, 7:49 AM

I did a joint yesterday and it was lovely. would say probably cooked it too long - even with resting it for 20 minutes, it was so tender the slices fell apart. it tasted fab though. truly melt in the mouth. I cooked it on slow for 5 hours. I always put a splash of water in the bottom and throw the veggies round about the joint.

I am finding this slow cooker needs much less time than my old one. still experimenting. dont usually do such an expensive cut of meat so will reduce time much more next time.
x x x
The Following User Says Thank You to Dumyat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
charlies_mum
Old 16-04-2007, 8:46 AM

Default Beef joint in slow cooker

Sorry, another slow cooker question. I cooked my beef joint in the slow cooker yesterday, but it was impossible to cut - it just shredded as it was so tender.

The taste was gorgeous, but it didn't look very good - did I cook it for too long :confused: I put a bit of water in the bottom and cooked it for about 7 hours on low
# 18
crazy_chick_573
Old 16-04-2007, 9:35 AM
MoneySaving Convert

yes i find 5 to 5 1/2 hours is better. did you try cutting it staight away? because it's better to leave it for twenty mins uncovered before.
# 19
Daisydoll
Old 20-10-2007, 8:53 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Cooking joint of beef in slow cooker?

Have just got myself a slow cooker and am going to cook my joint of beef in it tommorow, have searched some other threads but just wanted ask how much water to put in? Feeling a bit thick now
DFW no.630!
# 20
inkie
Old 20-10-2007, 9:31 PM

I don't put any water at all in - just pop the joint in, switch on and a few hours later voila - meat that is really tender and falling off the bone
The Following User Says Thank You to inkie For This Useful Post: Show me >>