IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Free Kids Stories To Download
Closed Thread
Views: 63,853
# 1
WOW Factor 0
matthewlynn
Old 01-12-2005, 1:44 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Free Kids Stories To Download

Why bother speding £10 or £15 on a storybook CD to keep the kids amused in the car. At www.storynory.com you can download free stories. Put them on your iPod, or burn them onto a CD. They are great quality and will cost you nothing.

Insert by Martin
(following posts lower down the discussion)
A quick note. This looks a very cute site and a freebie. It's worth noting the poster is also involved in the site and thus this is in fact advertising which breaks this sites rules. The poster should've declared an interest and asked permission. However on this occassion i have decided to allow the post to stay.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Lee; 01-11-2011 at 9:36 PM.
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to matthewlynn For This Useful Post: Show me >>
The following User got this: Show me >>
# 2
Rex_Mundi
Old 01-12-2005, 2:04 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Reported to abuse. You are not allowed to advertise your own website on this site.

quote.............

For all other enquires, ask for Bertie’s courtiers Matthew Lynn and Hugh Fraser on either of the numbers above.

Quoted from the rules of this site...............

ADVERTISING

This site is free from advertising. Posts on any board considered to be advertising goods, services and/or companies will be removed.

Examples of this can include anything from a specific sales post or a link to your own website in which you attempt to sell something to someone offering their holiday home to forum members. Unfortunately we cannot allow any advertising of any description no matter how honourable the intention.

Last edited by Rex_Mundi; 01-12-2005 at 2:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rex_Mundi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
lady_noluck
Old 02-12-2005, 5:54 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

But it's free? They're not trying to sell anything, where's the harm?:confused:
My mind not only wanders .......... sometimes it leaves completely
# 4
cherrypie556
Old 03-12-2005, 10:19 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

well ive used it and think its a great post, like said before, no harm done its free for gods sake! some people are so petty!
The Following User Says Thank You to cherrypie556 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Rex_Mundi
Old 03-12-2005, 11:38 AM

It's nothing to do with being petty. It's about liking this site the way it is without being plastered with adverts (like the majority of sites out there). It's about being able to trust that deals posted on the boards are a good deal, and they are not only posted to advertise a website. It's about reporting possible breaches of the rules so Abuse can take action if neccessary as they ask us to.

Martin owns the site and even he doesn't advertise on it even though hes fully entitled to if he wanted. How is it then OK for people to join the site for free just to use it as free advertising for their own site? The rules are pretty clear on this and they were written by Martin and the team. If they were ignored, this site would quickly lose its charactor and become just another site full of posts advertising peoples own sites. Many people say they love this site. The only way it carries on having this appeal is by the team keeping the rules enforced. They don't monitor all the posts, and this is why they ask us to report any posts that may not be following the rules. I've seen in the past on another forum what can happen when there is wholesale rule breaking. The forum changes charactor and becomes something else. I don't want to see this happening here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rex_Mundi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
lady_noluck
Old 05-12-2005, 5:31 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Are you for real?????? I'm glad he posted the site and I don't care whether it belongs to him, his wife or the neighbours dog. It's a site that provides a service FOR FREE and is doing NO HARM apart from giving us access to something useful. I could understand if he was advertising something we'd have to pay for but he isn't asking for money. Stop being such a spoilsport jobsworth.:rolleyes:
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lady_noluck For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
s-j-cooper
Old 05-12-2005, 4:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default How about this then.

I have found out about this site where you can download free stories in mp3 format. I am nothing to do with the site and I just think it is a good idea. Here is the link:

www.storynory.com

# 8
Rex_Mundi
Old 05-12-2005, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_noluck
Are you for real?????? I'm glad he posted the site and I don't care whether it belongs to him, his wife or the neighbours dog. It's a site that provides a service FOR FREE and is doing NO HARM apart from giving us access to something useful. I could understand if he was advertising something we'd have to pay for but he isn't asking for money. Stop being such a spoilsport jobsworth.:rolleyes:
Your inexperience of forums shows through big time in your post. You obviously haven't seen what can happen when the rules of a forum are ignored (or overlooked because they found it useful) by members. You may find this post useful (so you think that makes it OK), but does that mean that you will overlook the next post that may be breaking the rules. If I posted a free Ipod offer, it could be useful to a few people on the boards. It would be completely against the rules, but according to you, we shouldn't say anything because of the few people that find the post useful. If this is allowed to happen, believe me when I say that it won't take too long before the whole charactor of the boards change enough to make this site a different place.

I've been using message boards/forums for more years than I care to remember now. About 3 or 4 years ago, one of my favourite boards was locked to read only because of this type of attitude. This affected the majority of users just because a very small minority thought that it was OK to continually break and ignore the rules (they thought the posts were OK, so that makes it right to post/ignore them). This is a !!!! attitude.

You obviously don't realise all the work that is going on in the background that makes this site what it is. There is too much going on in the boards for the team to monitor all the time. This is why they ask us to report any posts that may be breaking the rules. If you are happy to ignore any posts that may break a rule, then fine. Do not moan at others because they don't hold the same laissez-faire attitude as you do.

If you had the nous to look at the date of my post, you would have realised that the team have probably looked at my complaint and decided the post was OK. This is what they are there for. They are ultimately the only ones that decide in the end (this doesn't make it wrong for us to report posts for them to look at). It used to be on this site that any link to a persons own site was banned if the site carried adverts. The site linked to in the post carries adverts (this used to be classed as a refferal). The info may be free, but, for the increased traffic the post generates, it also increases the chance of someone clicking an advert and earning the site owner money. I refer you to my previous post. If Martin doesn't advertise on this site, why is it OK for others (who joined for free) to do so?

PS...........My thanks was a mistake on my part. I meant to click quote (but I don't mind because I see how useful you have been in the past).

Last edited by Rex_Mundi; 05-12-2005 at 6:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rex_Mundi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
culpepper
Old 05-12-2005, 6:27 PM

Well I think that it was a good post on the OP's part.
As for Martin not advertising,his book has certainly been mentioned on this site as have his tv appearances .
Another good site for free MP3's is Audiobooksforfree.com
Nothing to do with me what so ever but yes I suppose this is a way of advertising as is any mention of a site not affiliated to this site.
# 10
Foxy
Old 05-12-2005, 6:38 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

as this has already been reported to abuse

Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: While it’s easy to wander off-topic that often prevents newbies finding the information they want quickly and easily (please see this rule). Please keep this thread on topic. If you’d like to discuss non-MoneySaving related topics please continue your discussion in The MoneySavers Arms or Discussion Time. If you have any questions about this policy please email abuse@moneysavingexpert.com.

regards

Foxy
It is not what you give your friend, but what you are willing to give him that determines the quality of friendship. -- Mary Dixon Thayer
# 11
MSE Martin
Old 05-12-2005, 7:06 PM
Money Saving Expert

This is a difficult one. Rex is right though. Ultimately this is advertising your own site and doing so without declaring an interest. That goes against what this site is about. Had the user messaged one of the MSE team almost undoubtably permission would've been given.

While something is free, it effectively builds a business and a clientel allowing someone to sell other things. I am by no means saying that will happen here, but that we have 1000s of posts a day, exceptions to the rules will be made, but should be requested not assumed, otherwise the forums wobble and we have lots of problems.

I am happy to leave the post having seen it (and amended it). However i do wish the poster had gone through the correct format - i also ask the poster not to repeat the post elsewhere on the site. Now MoneySavers know about it they can choose to pass it on themselves.

Martin
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MSE Martin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
lady_noluck
Old 05-12-2005, 11:30 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex_Mundi
Your inexperience of forums shows through big time in your post.
This is a !!!! attitude.

You obviously don't realise......blah...blah...blah

Do not moan at others because they don't hold the same laissez-faire attitude as you do.

If you had the nous to look at the date of my post, you would have realised that the team have probably looked at my complaint and decided the post was OK.

PS...........My thanks was a mistake on my part. I meant to click quote (but I don't mind because I see how useful you have been in the past).

Firstly, my inexperience of forums???? How do you know how long I've been using forums? Just because I don't have the attitude of a decrepid old dinosaur does not mean I am stupid. I may not have posted as much as you on here (and therefore you feel the need to point out how useful I am) I have other things to do in my life apart from sit on here all day, like work and look after a child.
You have my pity for you seem unable to post a reply without trying to belittle me, as per the quotes above. Do you feel better now?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lady_noluck For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Rex_Mundi
Old 06-12-2005, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Just because I don't have the attitude of a decrepid old dinosaur
ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAR (lol...was that dinosaur enough for you?)
Quote:
I may not have posted as much as you on here
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand your point is? (irrelevent as far as I'm concerned)
Quote:
You have my pity for you seem unable to post a reply without trying to belittle me
Come on............let's get sensible now. On this site alone I have over 1500 posts not talking to you at all. This is aside from the countless posts (more than this number) on other sites that I don't even believe you are aware of (tech based forums). Where does this vendetta come from? I made two posts that you disagreed with (and I disagreed with your attitude). If that's all it takes then I'm happy to be a dinosaur (rooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaar........lol).

ROFLMAO................

(Sorry I'm still laughing at your attitude).

Why don't you let this drop now? Technically I was right to report this thread. Martin has seen the thread and has given his permission for it to carry on. I don't see any problem with that at all. Why do you feel the need to carry the arguments on?
# 14
crutches
Old 06-12-2005, 12:39 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I Love The Site!!!!!!!
Every day above ground is a good one
# 15
MSE Andrea
Old 06-12-2005, 12:51 AM
Forum Editorial Liaison

Martin's given his thoughts. I don't think there's any need to continue the issue. Can everyone keep the discussion on topic (about the download) now please?

Thanks

Follow the Forum on Twitter and Pinterest
Join the MSE Forum
New forum user? Watch our New to the Forum? Youtube guide
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
The Following User Says Thank You to MSE Andrea For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
matthewlynn
Old 06-12-2005, 1:50 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Apologies for Breaking the Rule

I'd just like to apologise for breaking the rules of the forum...but thanks to Martin for letting it stay on the site, and thanks as well to the people who found the post useful.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to matthewlynn For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
chinneybigchops
Old 06-12-2005, 8:34 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks so much. I know the experts say that it is wrong but my 3 year old listens to story tapes to go off to sleep every night. We have just bought him a CD mini system for Xmas, so this is a brilliant site for me.

(Also reading the thread was highly entertaining!)
The Following User Says Thank You to chinneybigchops For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
cbrown7
Old 07-12-2005, 8:32 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for both free audio book links very handy, don't you just love a good flaming!!

Oh and to all, peace and goodwill etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to cbrown7 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
nillhouse
Old 30-05-2006, 10:50 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Yep, its free, my kids will love it, and id like to say a big thank you to the poster.
Tescos latest enemy.........
# 20
Kangol Rat
Old 31-05-2006, 9:34 PM

Thank you so much! A great freebie!
Closed Thread