Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • alanrowell
    • By alanrowell 8th Jun 08, 4:09 PM
    • 5,225Posts
    • 1,991Thanks
    alanrowell
    Freecorder - why doesn't it record anything?
    • 8th Jun 08, 4:09 PM
    Freecorder - why doesn't it record anything? 8th Jun 08 at 4:09 PM
    Needed something simple (and free) to record streaming radio, so I tried Freecorder.

Tried it on 2 machines - one XP, one Vista - with the same results. No matter what settings I adopt it doesn't actually record anything

Anyone have an idea what I am missing?

Or can they suggest something that works reliably
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 8th Jun 08, 4:36 PM
    • 29,734 Posts
    • 35,186 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 8th Jun 08, 4:36 PM
    • 8th Jun 08, 4:36 PM
    think this will do it

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • alanrowell
    • By alanrowell 8th Jun 08, 6:29 PM
    • 5,225 Posts
    • 1,991 Thanks
    alanrowell
    • 8th Jun 08, 6:29 PM
    • 8th Jun 08, 6:29 PM
    I need something simple (and free) to record streaming radio
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 8th Jun 08, 9:19 PM
    • 29,734 Posts
    • 35,186 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 8th Jun 08, 9:19 PM
    • 8th Jun 08, 9:19 PM
    About Audacity

Audacity is a free, easy-to-use audio editor and recorder for Windows

Audacity can record live audio through a microphone or mixer, or digitize recordings from cassette tapes, vinyl records, or minidiscs. With some sound cards, it can also capture streaming audio.

:confused: :confused:
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • tomthebomb
    • By tomthebomb 8th Jun 08, 11:34 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    tomthebomb
    • 8th Jun 08, 11:34 PM
    • 8th Jun 08, 11:34 PM
    Freecorder should be fine.
    Right click on loudspeaker icon in task tray - select "open volume control" - select "options" tab - select "properties" - select "recording" and tick all boxes in window.
    Good luck.

N.B. The boxes you tick are in the "properties" window NOT the "recording control" window.
    Last edited by tomthebomb; 09-06-2008 at 11:15 AM.
  • john s
    • 8th Jun 08, 11:41 PM
    • 8th Jun 08, 11:41 PM
    I use something called AudioGrabber. But I think the important thing here is what you select in the recording properties. On my PC I can only select one source at a time. "Stereo Mix" does it for me - it records whatever noise is coming out of my speakers. I think it has a different name on some soundcards but it there is usually an equivalent I believe. Just experiment.

I think there is a way of turning off any other sounds that your computer might make while you're doing your recording - I just close any programs that are likely to make a noise (like email arriving) and make sure I don't touch anything till the recording's finished!
    • Iconic
    • By Iconic 9th Jun 08, 6:54 AM
    • 1,013 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    Iconic
    • 9th Jun 08, 6:54 AM
    • 9th Jun 08, 6:54 AM
    Freecorder should be fine.
    Right click on loudspeaker icon in task tray - select "open volume control" - select "options" tab - select "properties" - select "recording" and tick all boxes in window.
    Good luck.
    Originally posted by tomthebomb
    On my computer it will only let me tick one box.

I think the OP will need to tick the 'line in' box.

Another tip is to ensure the volume control level is at it's highest.Then when he does a test recording and it's distorted he can reduce the volume (perhaps the volume is to low at the moment and that's why it's not recording for him!)
    • alanrowell
    • By alanrowell 10th Jun 08, 9:09 PM
    • 5,225 Posts
    • 1,991 Thanks
    alanrowell
    • 10th Jun 08, 9:09 PM
    • 10th Jun 08, 9:09 PM
    Finally found out what is wrong - you've got to start a recording before you get the audio - this applies to Firefox / IE / XP / Vista

All you need to do is start a recording when you open a browser then stop the recording. After that you can start new recordings without worry
    • tomthebomb
    • By tomthebomb 13th Sep 09, 1:03 AM
    • 312 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    tomthebomb
    • 13th Sep 09, 1:03 AM
    • 13th Sep 09, 1:03 AM
    I used to have no trouble with Freecorder but since upgrading to FF3.5 I've been unable to record anything. Any ideas?
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 13th Sep 09, 3:59 PM
    • 6,421 Posts
    • 4,485 Thanks
    esuhl
    I had intermittent problems with FreeCorder too. Sometimes it would work fine, other times I would record silence. The only way round this was to reboot the PC and hope it would be fine the next time. I use Audacity now when I need to (which isn't often).
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 13th Sep 09, 10:55 PM
    • 6,181 Posts
    • 2,497 Thanks
    buglawton
    If you want BBC audio then Google Radio Downloader look for a website with the word Nerd in it. This is more convenient that recording while playing.
    Got a fur sink. An electric dog polisher. A gasoline powered turtleneck sweater. And, of course, I bought some dumb stuff, too. –Steve Martin
    • tomthebomb
    • By tomthebomb 16th Nov 09, 11:45 AM
    • 312 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    tomthebomb
    Downloaded Radio Downloader & find it great for BBC progs but also found a replacement for Freecorder - it's called Free Hi-Q Recorder & does the job nicely.
    Only thing I miss is the toolbar control.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 16th Nov 09, 10:50 PM
    • 6,181 Posts
    • 2,497 Thanks
    buglawton
    I also tried Free Hi-Q Recorder. It does what Audacity (free) does but is much simpler and neater. It can handle manual recording time, scheduled recording time and auto splitting of the saved file. Max MP3 quality is 96kbps though. An excellent find!

- Oh, and it has an auto recording level too, a boon.

[ have since discovered that the file splitting and track detection features are among those disabled on the free version ]
    Last edited by buglawton; 17-11-2009 at 10:31 PM.
    Got a fur sink. An electric dog polisher. A gasoline powered turtleneck sweater. And, of course, I bought some dumb stuff, too. –Steve Martin
  • poyrazman
    Recording streaming radio
    I have tried two of the freeware recorders discussed here, i.e. Freecorder and Hi-Q Recorder, but neither of them work with my machine. I have a Dell XPS M1710 laptop running XP, with a SigmaTel sound 'card'. This device has only a 'line in' and 'microphone' option. If I select the 'line in' option, nothing is recorded by either of the products mentioned above. If I select 'microphone' and place the mic near my speakers, then I can record, but I also get the background noise in the room as well.

Has anybody else had this problem with the SigmaTel audio chip, and does anybody know of any recording software that will work with such a Dell laptop?
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 8th Jan 10, 2:06 PM
    • 6,181 Posts
    • 2,497 Thanks
    buglawton
    Have you made sure that all the sliders on your volume control (advanced panel) are turned up?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,539Posts Today

8,106Users online

Martin's Twitter