Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Techie Stuff > Freecorder - why doesn't it record anything? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Freecorder - why doesn't it record anything?
Closed Thread
Views: 7,896
# 1
alanrowell
Old 08-06-2008, 4:09 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Freecorder - why doesn't it record anything?

Needed something simple (and free) to record streaming radio, so I tried Freecorder.

Tried it on 2 machines - one XP, one Vista - with the same results. No matter what settings I adopt it doesn't actually record anything

Anyone have an idea what I am missing?

Or can they suggest something that works reliably
# 2
Browntoa
Old 08-06-2008, 4:36 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

think this will do it

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

# 3
alanrowell
Old 08-06-2008, 6:29 PM

I need something simple (and free) to record streaming radio
# 4
Browntoa
Old 08-06-2008, 9:19 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

About Audacity

Audacity is a free, easy-to-use audio editor and recorder for Windows

Audacity can record live audio through a microphone or mixer, or digitize recordings from cassette tapes, vinyl records, or minidiscs. With some sound cards, it can also capture streaming audio.

:confused: :confused:
I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

# 5
tomthebomb
Old 08-06-2008, 11:34 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Freecorder should be fine.
Right click on loudspeaker icon in task tray - select "open volume control" - select "options" tab - select "properties" - select "recording" and tick all boxes in window.
Good luck.

N.B. The boxes you tick are in the "properties" window NOT the "recording control" window.

Last edited by tomthebomb; 09-06-2008 at 11:15 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to tomthebomb For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
john s
Old 08-06-2008, 11:41 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I use something called AudioGrabber. But I think the important thing here is what you select in the recording properties. On my PC I can only select one source at a time. "Stereo Mix" does it for me - it records whatever noise is coming out of my speakers. I think it has a different name on some soundcards but it there is usually an equivalent I believe. Just experiment.

I think there is a way of turning off any other sounds that your computer might make while you're doing your recording - I just close any programs that are likely to make a noise (like email arriving) and make sure I don't touch anything till the recording's finished!
# 7
Iconic
Old 09-06-2008, 6:54 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthebomb View Post
Freecorder should be fine.
Right click on loudspeaker icon in task tray - select "open volume control" - select "options" tab - select "properties" - select "recording" and tick all boxes in window.
Good luck.
On my computer it will only let me tick one box.

I think the OP will need to tick the 'line in' box.

Another tip is to ensure the volume control level is at it's highest.Then when he does a test recording and it's distorted he can reduce the volume (perhaps the volume is to low at the moment and that's why it's not recording for him!)
# 8
alanrowell
Old 10-06-2008, 9:09 PM

Finally found out what is wrong - you've got to start a recording before you get the audio - this applies to Firefox / IE / XP / Vista

All you need to do is start a recording when you open a browser then stop the recording. After that you can start new recordings without worry
# 9
tomthebomb
Old 13-09-2009, 1:03 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I used to have no trouble with Freecorder but since upgrading to FF3.5 I've been unable to record anything. Any ideas?
# 10
esuhl
Old 13-09-2009, 3:59 PM

I had intermittent problems with FreeCorder too. Sometimes it would work fine, other times I would record silence. The only way round this was to reboot the PC and hope it would be fine the next time. I use Audacity now when I need to (which isn't often).
The Following User Says Thank You to esuhl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
buglawton
Old 13-09-2009, 10:55 PM

If you want BBC audio then Google Radio Downloader look for a website with the word Nerd in it. This is more convenient that recording while playing.
Confucius he say: Can of worms never been known to open by itself
The Following User Says Thank You to buglawton For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
tomthebomb
Old 16-11-2009, 11:45 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Downloaded Radio Downloader & find it great for BBC progs but also found a replacement for Freecorder - it's called Free Hi-Q Recorder & does the job nicely.
Only thing I miss is the toolbar control.
The Following User Says Thank You to tomthebomb For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
buglawton
Old 16-11-2009, 10:50 PM

I also tried Free Hi-Q Recorder. It does what Audacity (free) does but is much simpler and neater. It can handle manual recording time, scheduled recording time and auto splitting of the saved file. Max MP3 quality is 96kbps though. An excellent find!

- Oh, and it has an auto recording level too, a boon.

[ have since discovered that the file splitting and track detection features are among those disabled on the free version ]

Last edited by buglawton; 17-11-2009 at 10:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to buglawton For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
poyrazman
Old 08-01-2010, 1:50 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Recording streaming radio

I have tried two of the freeware recorders discussed here, i.e. Freecorder and Hi-Q Recorder, but neither of them work with my machine. I have a Dell XPS M1710 laptop running XP, with a SigmaTel sound 'card'. This device has only a 'line in' and 'microphone' option. If I select the 'line in' option, nothing is recorded by either of the products mentioned above. If I select 'microphone' and place the mic near my speakers, then I can record, but I also get the background noise in the room as well.

Has anybody else had this problem with the SigmaTel audio chip, and does anybody know of any recording software that will work with such a Dell laptop?
# 15
buglawton
Old 08-01-2010, 2:06 PM

Have you made sure that all the sliders on your volume control (advanced panel) are turned up?
Closed Thread