Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Who & Where are You? > Charities > The MoneySavingExpert.com Charity Fund Discussion (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
The MoneySavingExpert.com Charity Fund Discussion
Closed Thread
Views: 3,870
# 1
Former MSE Dan
Old 27-05-2008, 8:57 PM
Former Web Editor
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default The MoneySavingExpert.com Charity Fund Discussion

This is the discussion for the

which includes details of The MSE Charity

Please click reply to discuss

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 27-05-2008 at 9:15 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Former MSE Dan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
MrsTinks
Old 27-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

YAY for the MoneySavingExpert.com Charity

But would it be possible to have links to courses that the charity might recommend?

I know I'd like to get better situated to deal with finances although I'm not exactly a rookie, but also to help other people better, both on the boards and in "real" life
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsTinks For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
ahai1
Old 27-05-2008, 10:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I was wondering what the courses could be? I am not aware of many courses that offer people training to manage their finances and cost up to £500.

Am I right in assuming that non charities can apply? I will email them this question.

Last edited by ahai1; 27-05-2008 at 10:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ahai1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
ahai1
Old 29-05-2008, 8:01 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have found out that groups with bank accounts and wrriten constitutions can apply for the money.
# 5
peterchall
Old 29-05-2008, 11:50 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thumbs up Raising more money

Hi,

Ths is my first post but I am wondering if it would be possible to register the fund with a company I work for (I will not mention any name at present). The company is a utility and telecom supplier and offers organaisiations and charities the oportunity to earn a residual monthly income by referring customers to the company. If consumers call in on a freephone number and quote the unique charity reference, and subsequently become customers of the company, the charity will benefit from approximately 4% of the customers monthly bill for as long as they remain a customer.

As I said, I don't want to mention the company name as I don't know if I am allowed to at this time, but if someone could get back to me if this is possible then I would be delighted to give further details.
# 6
ahai1
Old 30-05-2008, 8:03 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You can email stuart@msecharity.com
# 7
tamtam10000
Old 30-05-2008, 12:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Lightbulb Suggestion for donations

I would love a way to say "thank you" to Martin and his team for all their work, and there's really only so many copies of The Money Diet you can buy! (I've bought 7 copies now, for myself and as gifts). So, I would be happy to see a 'donate to MSE Charity' link next to all the valuable tools (like the budget planner and flight checker) that MSE provides and also on Martin's tips email too.

It is great that this site is free, but many of us (well, me anyway!) would be happy to have the reminder/opportunity to donate a pound or two when we go to use this great stuff.

There are many sites that do this now, and I don't think it's presurising or hectoring in any way. Wikipedia is a good example - they have a simple link that says 'if you like this and it's useful, please donate' or something like that.

Please make it easy to express our appreciation and to donate to this important cause.
Debt at highest: 68,000 plus mortgages
Current debt: 0.00!!!
Now I just have to buy my Dad's share of my flat back and I can start on the mortgage...

# 8
ahai1
Old 30-05-2008, 2:53 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

That is a good idea in getting donations.
# 9
ahai1
Old 30-05-2008, 8:54 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Peterchall for guideance you should contact abuse@moneysavingexpert.com

You can support the MSE Charity on everyclick: http://charities.everyclick.com/info...HE-MSE-CHARITY
# 10
peterchall
Old 01-06-2008, 10:29 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info Ahai 1. I will send email to Stuart.
# 11
portchieboy
Old 08-06-2008, 8:14 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default London Marathon

Hi

Don't know if you remember, but I suggested 6 months ago or so that we have a Team of runners in the London Marathon, and go for a record donation. Yes, I admit my interest in that I would love to run but have not been able to get in, and I am not the 'outgoing' sort of person who could undertake to raise 2,000+ for a charity place.

I therefore suggested very much what has been discussed above, ie, to encourage site users to give back a little. By that, I mean to sponsor, yes, me, but also other Team members. I for example have made over 1,000 from the (non) gambling advice, and also over 1000 from cashbacks, which I never previously was aware of.

Martin, I think you were going to get back to me once the Charity had been incorporated?

I cannot be alone, and am keen to spread financial responsibility......I am an ex-Banker after all!

This whole would mean the Charity buying a number of Bond places from the organisers, but I think with Martins brilliant marketing skills, this would be well rewarded.

My thanks for listening.
O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us.

(O would some power the gift to give us to see ourselves as others see us
.)

Robert Burns
# 12
ahai1
Old 09-06-2008, 7:45 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

It is going to require a lot of work.
# 13
judynopants
Old 13-06-2008, 4:30 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSE Dan View Post
This is the discussion for the

which includes details of The MSE Charity

Please click reply to discuss
I want to nominate a charity but am not sure if I am using the site properly. The instructions say click on reply but there is no reply button. Does it mean the quote button? Please help. If this isn't right then I guess I'll get no reply.
# 14
Savvy_Sue
Old 13-06-2008, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judynopants View Post
I want to nominate a charity but am not sure if I am using the site properly. The instructions say click on reply but there is no reply button. Does it mean the quote button? Please help. If this isn't right then I guess I'll get no reply.
There is a button which says 'Post reply' on the top left of every thread, and at the bottom left of the last post on every thread, and a button which says 'Quote' to the bottom right of every post. You're doing well, you've successfully posted!

Ah, I see you've worked it out, welcome to the boards!
I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

Real Life is taking a lot more time than usual
# 15
mary43
Old 13-06-2008, 8:32 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Just a thought and not sure I'm in the right place for it but, as a foster carer for teenagers I see many of them leaving the care system with very limited ability in budgeting skills. Some have now had the usual mainstream education or have suffered through moving schools several times.
I don;t know if there is any way these young people could be helped with managing their finances, particularly is they are on JSA which is particularly hard.
I'm not sure whether a charity exists that could do this.
We do out best with teaching them to cook and manage their money but once they get into the big wide world its quite a daunting experience.
Mary

I'm creative -you can't expect me to be neat too !
(Good Enough Member No.48)
# 16
MrsTinks
Old 21-06-2008, 8:35 AM

Question for the MSE team... Are there any plans for registering the MSE charity with Ebay so that part of the selling value gets automatically donated to the MSE charity?
# 17
bec22
Old 13-11-2008, 10:08 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahai1 View Post
I was wondering what the courses could be? I am not aware of many courses that offer people training to manage their finances and cost up to 500.

Am I right in assuming that non charities can apply? I will email them this question.

ahai1: you've probably found this out by now but the Open University do a personal finance course that is less than 500. It's DB123, I'm doing it at the moment funded by MSE and it's excellent, would recommend it.
# 18
ahai1
Old 13-11-2008, 3:40 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks you for your reply.
# 19
GemmieWho
Old 21-09-2011, 5:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Apologies for bumping such an old thread but I don't know where else to post!

I've been lucky enough to be chosen by the MSE Charity for them to pay my grant to take "You and your money" at OU. I've never had an further education at all and I'm feeling a bit lost. I've sent an email to the supplied email address as well but I'm really stressing and hopefully someone here could help.

I've received an email with several attachments, including one to register with OU, a HESA form for OU and a funding agreement with MSE.
I've registered online but the HESA says I need to send that back with my registration form, so what do I do now?
Also the funding agreement says to fill it in and send it back, but no details as to where to send it.

Has anyone been given a grant by MSE before that could help maybe?
Married 23/03/13
Expecting first child (little girl!) 20/12/13
# 20
dollytwostep
Old 26-09-2011, 2:44 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default MSE Application Form

I work for a rural charity and have been trying to complete the MSE Charity application form with no success. I have emailed the help line a few times and despite getting an email telling me that someone will be in touch shortly I have had no response. The form crashes all the time. I'm very frustrated! Can anyone help me please, we only have until Friday to send the form to them!

Dollytwostep
Closed Thread