IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Building Regulations for Fence Height
Closed Thread
Views: 18,581
# 1
jiggerymart
Old 12-04-2008, 5:05 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Building Regulations for Fence Height

I've just moved into a new build property with a private garden. The partition fence (feather edge/closeboard) height in the garden to the property to our right (also new build as part of same project) is only 90cm tall. The neighbouring property is built perpendicular to ours which means that their ground floor living room (with patio doors) and upstairs bedrooms have unrestricted views into our garden (unless I'm lying down or crawling on fours close to the fence!).

Is there a building regulation that states that if a property is overlooking another then a fence must be a certain height?

I'm going to get the fence height raised anyway as it is my boundary fence, but I have a one year build defects insurance with the construction company that built it. If they've just made it shorter to save costs but shouldn't have done, then they can foot the bill.

Many thanks for any information.
# 2
Doozergirl
Old 12-04-2008, 5:13 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

It would be a planning issue rather than a building regs one. I'd give your local one a call and see what would have been specified in the planning permission for your development.

I'm not sure that rooms overlooking a garden are a concern to planners. Admittedly, it does seem lacking in common snese on the builder's part if your neighbours are watching you playing volleyball when they should be watching tv
Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.

Last edited by Doozergirl; 12-04-2008 at 5:15 PM.
# 3
ukwoody
Old 12-04-2008, 6:33 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

In certain cases there are specific rules regarding heights. these are often applied to victorian terraces to keep the original "feel" of the property. To the best of my knowledge there is no hard and fast rule regarding fencing (unless again specifcally mentioned in the deeds) and therefore you should be able to eract a fence of upto 1.8mtrs (6ft) tall without problems. But as Doozer girl has said, give the local planning dept a ring and I'm sure they'll be able to advise further.. I do doubt you will hae any comeback against the builders, as I would imagine all their documentation states is the provision of a boundry fence, no details provided.

Woody
City & Guilds qualified Wood Butcher
# 4
ormus
Old 12-04-2008, 8:42 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

generally speaking, any fence next to the highway (usually front only) is to be a max of 6ft.
(corner houses have 2 sides to consider).
there doesnt appear to be a national standard written in stone.
as been said, speak to your local planning office first. they are usually very helpful.
Get some gorm.
# 5
ukjoel
Old 13-04-2008, 12:16 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Fence cover

I think its 6ft on the sides and 5 foot on the front but there can be loads of local variations so check.
However - plants are a different matter so can always put some bamboo plants in for screening.
The Following User Says Thank You to ukjoel For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Canucklehead
Old 13-04-2008, 8:56 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Good morning: An excellent government website for accurate info on all things planning and building regs related... http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upl...ouseguide.html

HTH

Canucklehead
Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)

Last edited by Canucklehead; 13-04-2008 at 8:59 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Canucklehead For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread