How much money to give as wedding gift?

Options
My boss is getting married next Saturday and has asked all his invitees to give money rather than buying gifts. So, no chance of me making an OS wedding gift then, which I was looking forward to doing!

Now money is really tight for me and I need to buy an outfit for myself for the wedding (the last wedding I went to was about 10 years ago!), I'll be buying my outfit from Asda, Tesco, Primark or other such cheap outlet. So as well as this I'll be spending £15 on petrol and buying drinks (soft) as I'm driving, it's not going to be a cheap day. :(

Obviously there will be entertainment at the wedding and free food and I'm sure I will have a lovely time. I will be attending with my 7 year old son and possibly my partner although it depends on his work commitments. :confused:

So my question is how much money would you give?

Comments

• idiot_3
    idiot_3 Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    if you can do it anonymously, simply as much cash as you can reasonably afford. just put it in a plain envelope. its a bit sneaky of your boss to ask for cash anyway. he is clearly on more than you (he is your boss!) and so shouldn't need it as much.
  • bugs
    bugs Posts: 184 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How long is a piece of string?

Personally for a person I liked, maybe £50.

For a work colleague as part of a collection about £10. Could you do a collection?

Or if things are really really tight, stuff his cash request and provide him with a voucher for something that you could do timewise - eg since he's your boss maybe you would stay late/over lunch/something like that so he could slope off early to see his new bride or take her to lunch; or a voucher to baby sit (if he has children) one night when he comes back from honeymoon...that kind of thing.

If he's a good sort (and he knows how much you get paid!) he'll understand and appreciate. You could even have a chat with him and say you would rather do something for him than just give an amount of cash that won't make much difference.

If he's not a good sort, give him a tenner and don't worry about it ;)
    It is not the greatness of a man's means that makes him independent, so much as the smallness of his wants. (William Cobbett)
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This one really belongs in Discussions I reckon, and I'll move it over there a little later...

..but on a personal note - what a rvddy cheek your boss has!

Being a grumpy old git I'd either ignore him and find/make a gift that I wanted to give or I'd hand him a certificate saying I'd made a donation (to charity of your choice) on his behalf for whatever amount.

Harumph!

:)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • misty
    misty Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    Options
    I would tell the truth and say look I'm really sorry but I can't afford to give cash at the moment but would love to give you both something instead is that ok? and do your HM gift. I'm sure he/she will say yes and to be honest if they said no - I wouldn't want to go anyway.
  • bugs
    bugs Posts: 184 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    He's probably doing the cash to avoid those "lovely" ornaments from Aunty Jean and 43 kettles from the cousins, so in fact your home made present may be appreciated a lot more than his request makes out.
    It is not the greatness of a man's means that makes him independent, so much as the smallness of his wants. (William Cobbett)
  • kirstyreanne
    Options
    Personally, I think that it's very cheeky of your boss to actually ask for money in the first place & if i was in that position I would probably still make them an old style gift anyway - maybe something like a personalised photo album using a scrapbook for them to keep wedding photographs in or such.

You never know they might appreciate a surprise!
  • Badgergal
    Badgergal Posts: 531 Forumite
    Options
    I agree that is cheeky and even though I am strapped for cash can never see myself doing that to people like employees, perhaps to close family but not employees (not that I have any, I am only a minion)!

My boss knows I'm on a meagre salary and when I bought someone on the team a bday cake and card from the team he asked me how much and gave me the money, I felt embarrassed to accept it instead of waving and saying "oh that's ok" but I did...
  • lush_walrus
    lush_walrus Posts: 1,975 Forumite
    Options
    I would give a little money, and still make your OS gift too. Sometimes people ask for money to stop loads and loads of toasters turning up!

Or if you do have a good relationship with your boss, just approach him and tell him you wanted to make something, rather than give money, and see what he says, Im sure he will be understanding by the sounds of it.
  • Jet
    Jet Posts: 1,624 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The wedding invitations were all worded the same. A little polite poem saying that they didn't want toasters etc. but if people wanted to give a gift they would like money. I do understand that as they have been living together for a few years, they don't need anything for the house.

Now I know they are about to move house (they are selling to release equity to pay off their debts acquired from frivolous over spending) and I just know the cash will be spent on this.

I suppose I'm annoyed that my money will just encourage more irresponsible overspending on their part. I think asking for specific vouchers would have been more appropriate and something I might do anyway - maybe something for their 3 year old little boy.
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sorry computer gremlins. Don't know how to delete this.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure