PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cabbage

I have most of a pointed cabbage and would like some interesting ideas on what to do with it.

Restrictions:
vegetarian
no frying
no oven
no grill

hit me with them!

Comments

• Pollen
    Pollen Posts: 171 Forumite
    Here's a host of cabbage recipies - and info that February 17th is world cabbage day :D:D

Parboil it, then stuff with rice, toasted pine nuts and spring onion - braise this on top of stove with tight fitting lid (no oven) in vegetable stock.

Hope this helps.
  • crana999
    crana999 Posts: 573 Forumite
    Not sure all of those recipes are entirely serious:

http://discworld.atuin.net/lpc/links/cabbage/recipies/boiledc.html

but that suggestion sounds very good!

ETA: sorry to sound stupid but do you mean somehow parboil the whole cabbage and stuff it, or do leaves individually like dolmas?
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    crana999 wrote:
    I have most of a pointed cabbage and would like some interesting ideas on what to do with it.

Bin it?! :D

Oh don't all shout at me.....I'm just kidding! (Not overly fond of cabbage ;))
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • Pollen
    Pollen Posts: 171 Forumite
    crana999 wrote:
    do you mean somehow parboil the whole cabbage and stuff it, or do leaves individually like dolmas?

Now you've got me thinking - originally meant individual leaves but no reason why you couldn't do whole cabbage and either separate after par-boiling which might make it easier.

Hope this helps.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    crana999 wrote:

Restrictions:
    vegetarian
    no frying
    no oven
    no grill

hit me with them!

:shhh: sneaks over with a pointed cabbage and hits crana999 with it, as requested! :whistle:

The only thing I can think of .... I was once served a dessert in a very posh place (it was a prize!) chocolate coated cabbage leaves - but I think that was white cabbage because it was crisp. :confused:

Cabbage soup?
    Coleslaw?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • crana999
    aliasojo wrote:
    Bin it?! :D

Oh don't all shout at me.....I'm just kidding! (Not overly fond of cabbage ;))

oi!
    I had some of it in a curry.

The cabbage rolls sound good, but perhaps a little time-consuming.. I might give them a try anyway :)
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Bubble and squeak is the obvious suggestion - so obvious that I expect it's on one of the links above that I haven't opened! I know you can't do the proper fried recipe but just boil it up with and onion, then mash it all together with cooked mashed potato and top with grated cheese.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• crana999
    Oh, now that does appeal! Thanks for taking account of not being able to fry things too :)

I think I will make that tomorrow!
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    shredded and steamed with fresh ginger, garlic and lemon zest
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • crana999
    that also sounds good, apart from the lack of fresh ginger and garlic. I do have a fresh lemon though! A lecturer brought a load of citrus fruits to a lecture and told us to take some home :D

I think he has a thing about citrus fruits. He started juggling lemons today.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure