PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Good veggie things to batch cook and freeze ?

Options
I am expecting baby number 3 in September, no's 1 and 2 will be 4 years and 2 years respectively, so I will be a bit busy between September and Christmas :eek:
I am trying to be organised and cook a load of food for the freezer so for those first few weeks we can eat reasonably well without having to chop too many veg LOL
So far I have done :-
- fish pie (for the kids as we don;t eat fish ourselves)
- spag bol (for us all)
- moussaka (for me and H)

Also thinking lasagne and chilli but beyond that I am stuck.
I would love your suggestions. They must be veggie and ideally suitable for two normal preschoolers ie they are fairly good but not too adventurous.

thanks for any ideas,
Jill
Jan GC: £202.65/£450 (as of 4-1-12)
NSDs: 3
Walk to school: 2/47
Bloater challenge: £0/0lbs

Comments

• meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jill,

What about aubergine parmigiana? This is very easy to make and will feeze well...TBH ours never gets to the freezer!

1 large or 2 small aubergines;
    2 chopped cloves garlic (to taste);
    1 thinly sliced onion;
    1 tin chopped tomatoes with/without herbs;
    salt, pepper to taste, pinch sugar;
    Chopped fresh or dried herbs...to taste so go easy first time, rosemary is good;
    4 ozs grated parmesan cheese;
    2ozs breadcrumbs.
    Olive oil

Fry onion, garlic and herbs in a little oil on medium heat until onions are softened, add tomatoes and season to taste. Slice aubergine fairly thinly, brush with oil and place in baking dish. Pour sauce mixture on top, mix cheese and breadcrumbs together and sprinkle over. If you think that parmesan will be too strong for your children, mix half and half with a milder cheese, I often use mozzarella.

Bake in 180c oven for about half an hour, serve with crusty bread.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    You can make and freeze pancakes.

Quiche both cooked and uncooked.

Pies and pasties.

Soup.

Make a stewy base with soya, veg or whatever you use and make a cheese scone mix. cut it into rounds and lay in a circle overlapping them around the edge of the dish. This is a cobbler and its lovely. It also means you don't have to do potatoes or pasta as the scones give the carbo content.

Google it, see what it comes up with.
  • angie_loves_veg
    angie_loves_veg Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    Options
    veg curry (my preschooler is very fond of milder curries, esp if I do popadums with them!)

vegi burgers freeze well uncooked

choppped roasted veg freezes well, and can be used for 101 things when needed!
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Be careful with soups. Lentil based soups freeze really well but potato based always taste a bit funny to me.

Chilli is another good freezer food - you can also freeze tortilla bread to have with it. I also batch-cook tomato sauce for pasta and (different) tomato sauce for pizza. Pizza dough freezes well too in little balls and defrosts pretty easily in the microwave for a quick and tasty dinner.

I think any lentil-y recipes would be worth a go too.

Good luck with your cooking.
  • LizD_2
    LizD_2 Posts: 1,503 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    How about Cottage Pie? Make up with soya mince (I doubt little ones will know the difference).

Gingham has a recipie for Lentil cottage pie, if you fancy that.
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lasagna freezes well and someone mentioned lentil lasagna.
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • GreenNinja
    GreenNinja Posts: 601 Forumite
    Options
    JillD wrote: »
    I am expecting baby number 3 in September, no's 1 and 2 will be 4 years and 2 years respectively, so I will be a bit busy between September and Christmas :eek:
    I am trying to be organised and cook a load of food for the freezer so for those first few weeks we can eat reasonably well without having to chop too many veg LOL
    So far I have done :-
    - fish pie (for the kids as we don;t eat fish ourselves)
    - spag bol (for us all)
    - moussaka (for me and H)

Also thinking lasagne and chilli but beyond that I am stuck.
    I would love your suggestions. They must be veggie and ideally suitable for two normal preschoolers ie they are fairly good but not too adventurous.

thanks for any ideas,
    Jill

Veggie pasta bake freezes really well.
    Roast mixed chunky chopped veg, like sweet peppers, aubergines, onions, tomatoes, with a bit of garlic and rosemary.
    Mix with cooked pasta, either dried or fresh and add a tin of condensed tomato soup. Top with grated cheese and bake. I usually add a tin of tuna to mine but this is optional obviously.
  • boo81
    boo81 Posts: 654 Forumite
    Options
    my freezer staple is rattouille which freezes perfectly. It goes with so many things that sometimes I decide what to do with it in the evening
  • TNG
    TNG Posts: 6,930 Forumite
    Options
    Pizza bases?

Soups - butternut squash, carrot & coriander etc
    :dance:There's a real buzz about the neighbourhood :dance:
  • odds-n-sods
    odds-n-sods Posts: 864 Forumite
    Options
    What about making calzones?? Roasted veg, tomato sauce (spicy or not). Then make pizza bases about 6" round, put filling on half, fold over like a cornish pastie, freeze. Then you can bake them from frozen. Kids love am cause they can eat with their fingers!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure