PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

vegetarian steamed pudding recipe?

Hope someone can help me. I long for a vegetarian steamed pudding, real comfort food but I can't find a recipe for a vegetarian savoury one. All recipes I find are either meat or christmas puddings. I realise that I could just add vegetables but it's the gravy or sauce that I'm not sure about as I don't want it to go all soggy, can anyone help please?:confused:
Pucker up and kiss it Whoville! - The Grinch:kiss:

Comments

• she_grinch
    she_grinch Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Saw this one but my daughter hates mushrooms! I forgot to mention that. I was going to use carrot, peas, leeks, sweetcorn, parsnip, and maybe a few lentils as she will eat these but it's the sauce/gravy I'm stuck on.
  • Flimsy
    Flimsy Posts: 102 Forumite
    I have a recipe for onion gravy that is really lovely, it does make a lot but any extra I freeze so you could make enough for the pudding and freeze the excess to have with veggie sausages. Even my DH can make this now, he's so proud bless him :lol: My son doesn't like mushrooms either. Apparently they are 'pinky dinky stinky' :rotfl:

Onion gravy

2 Onions
    2 Tablespoons olive oil
    1 Cox's Apple (I just use any eating apple)
    1 scant tablespoon light or dark brown sugar
    1 teaspoon English mustard powder
    1 scant tablespoon plain flour
    500ml hot stock
    150ml cider

* Peel, halve & slice onions in to very thin half moons

* heat oil in wide pan, and cook onions slowly for about 10 mins until very soft

* peel, core and finely chop the apple, and add to the onion. Cook for 5 mins more

* Turn up the heat and add the sugar, cooking over high flame for 3 mins

* Stir in mustard powder & flour and let the flour cook a little

* Pour in the stock while stirring. Simmer gently for about 30 mins and allow to thicken
  • she_grinch
    Wonderful I will give it a try. I have food intolerances an am vegetarian so I struggle with recipes sometimes but I need to increase my extremely limited repertoire as my DD and DH have been eating vegetarian more regularly. Thankyou :)
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    This is a good one from Marguerite Patten's book of wartime recipes 'We'll Eat Again'

Pathfinder Pudding

Pastry

6oz plain flour
    pinch of salt
    ¾ tsp baking powder
    1 oz suet (you'd use vegetarian suet obviously)
    1½ grated, raw potato
    water

Mix flour, salt, baking powder and add suet, potato and enough water to make a soft dough. Roll out ¾ of the pastry and use to line a 2 pint greased pudding basin.

Filling

2 lb cooked parsnips, diced
    4 oz grated cheese
    1 sliced leek
    ½ tsp mustard powder
    salt and pepper

Mix together and fill basin. Roll out remaining pastry to make a lid and press onto pudding.

Cover with greased greaseproof paper or an upturned saucer. Place in a steamer and steam for 2 hours.

I would imagine you can vary the veg and add herbs and spices as you like.
  • she_grinch
    Thankyou for this recipe I will try this out :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport