PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Pulses Novice needs HELP!!!!

Options
Right, my cupboards are overflowing to some extent and the main culprit is dried pulses. I bought them to stretch the grocery budget...but they're still sitting there :o So I need some ideas for what to do with :
  • BIG bag of Red kidney beans
  • Black Eyes Beans
  • Butterbeans
  • Chickpeas
I have split red lentils but they always get throw in stews or bolognese :rotfl: I really have NO IDEA what to do. I've kept the preperation instructions off the packets but once I've soaked them I have no idea what to do next :o Also I'm not entirely convinced about how long to soak them for or how to soak them (hot/cold water? Change the water?).

Next time I'm buying tinned! :rotfl:
Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!

Comments

• Gingham_Ribbon
    Options
    Kidney beans. Care needs to be taken with these as they have harmful toxins that must be got rid of. You need to rapid boil them for 10 minutes before reducing to a simmer and cooking through. They are good in chillis, bean salads, bean burgers and hot pots.

Black eye beans are easier to cook and have a nice, nutty taste. Use in curries, chillis, rice dishes, bean salads, soups.

Butterbeans are my favourites. Cook gently to stop the skins peeling off. Then use in soups, or blend with some wholegrain mustard, garlic and lemon for a quick tasty dip. Or have them fried with a fry up instead of beans. Also good with french toast.

Chickpeas cook easily too but can take a while to go soft. Use in falafel, houmous, curries, blend into soups... the list is endless.

Check out the bean book by Rose Elliot too if you can. Lots of ideas in there and all easy and quick too.

Oh, I would soak them all overnight then cook in fresh water the next day. Don't salt the water or it can make them tough. The black eyed beans you can get away with not soaking though I think.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    I found that my stock of dried pulses were languishing too, so I soaked and cooked the whole lot of them over the course of a week. I bagged them up in 2 cup portions and put them in the freezer. Now I can use them like tinned pulses. I just take a bag of chick peas/ red kidney beans/ black beans or whatever and add them to veg stews, curries, chillies, soups etc (straight from frozen).
  • luckylukey
    Options
    If I have an excess of butterbeans , I make them into a mash - delicious!
  • overlykeensaver
    Options
    Not sure about other pulses but you can definitely cook and then freeze chickpeas - they freeze and reheat really well. Also if you are in a hurry, you can pop them into your meal frozen and they can defrost in the pan!
  • Plum_Pie
    Plum_Pie Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    Options
    Burgers!

Basically:
    Fry off finely chopped veg with seasoning
    Put in bowl with well-drained, COOKED beans/lentils and mash together.
    Form into small patties and fry.

My fave combinations:
    Kidney beans + chilli powder + tomato paste + carrots + onion
    Butter beans + garlic + cheddar
    Lentils + onion + garlic + 'indian' spices (make tiny ones, a great starter)

Also garlic+butterbean mash with Roast lamb - YUMYUMYUM
  • luckylukey
    Options
    and also with chickpeas- make them into falafefl - they freeze really well
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    Miss Vickie Pressure cooker and Beans shows how quick it is to cook the whole range of lentils & beans in a pressure cooker.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good recipe for "Gigantic Beans" as found on the Greek Islands at this site -

http://www.symivisitor.com/fassolada3.htm

- use butter beans for preference, or any other white bean for a change:

Gigantes Plaki
    Baked Haricot Beans

INGREDIENTS
    500 grams large dried haricot beans, washed, picked over and soaked overnight.
    200 ml olive oil
    1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
    3 cloves of garlic, crushed
    3 big ripe marmande tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped or the equivalent in good quality tinned tomatoes.
    Parsley, salt and pepper

METHOD
    Put the beans and fresh water to cover in a large heavy saucepan and simmer until tender but not mushy. If you have a pressure cooker, this reduces the cooking time considerably. The cooking time is influenced by how hard (or old!) the beans are. Do not be tempted to speed up the process with bicarbonate of soda as it destroys so many nutrients you might as well just eat cardboard and do not add salt at this stage as this toughens the beans.

Drain the cooked beans and allow to dry for a while. Put the oil in a frying pan with onion and garlic and cook gently until just translucent. Add the tomatoes and bring to the boil. Put the beans in an oven proof dish, pour over the hot sauce, sprinkle with half the parsley, cover tightly and cook in a slow oven for 30-45 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste and the remaining parsley before serving.

Note: Keep a close watch on this while it is cooking and if necessary add a little water or tomato juice if there is any danger of scorching or sticking. The end result should be fairly dry with only a small quantity of very richly tomato flavoured sauce rather than the consistency of Heinz baked beans.

See also:

http://labrou.googlepages.com/gigantes.htm

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_19572,00.html
  • Ivana_B_Rich
    Options
    I have a receipe for a red bean stew, and one for a mixed bean casserole but they are from a book (neither are my own creation). Am I allowed to post them? Or is it theft? :confused:
    Saving a house deposit. Member no.7 100% of target :D

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
  • angelavdavis
    Options
    My favourite dish for black eyed beans is a Madhur Jaffrey one. Its really yummy hot or cold and can be frozen.

Spicy Black eyed beans and mushrooms

Serves 4 - 6

½ lb dried black eyed beans, picked over, washed and drained
    2 pints water
    ½ lb mushrooms
    6 tbsp veg oil
    1 tsp whole cumin seeds
    1” stick cinnamon
    5oz chopped onions
    4 cloves garlic, peeled and very finely chopped
    14 oz tomatoes, peeled and chopped (1 lge tin)
    2 tsp ground coriander seeds
    1 tsp ground cumin
    ½ tsp ground turmeric
    ¼ tsp cayenne
    2 tsp salt
    black pepper
    3 tbsp chopped fresh coriander or parsley

1. Put the beans and water into a heavy pot and bring to boil. Cover, turn heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave, undisturbed for 1 hour. (You can soak the beans overnight instead of simmering and leaving for an hour if you prefer.)

2. While the beans are resting, cut the mushrooms into thinnish slices. Heat the oil and sizzle the cumin seeds and cinnamon stick for a few seconds. Add onions and garlic. Fry until turning brown at the edges. Add mushrooms. Stir fry until mushrooms wilt.

3. Add tomatoes, ground coriander, ground cumin, turmeric and cayenne. Stir and cook for a minute or so. Cover, turn heat to low and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off heat.

4. Bring beans to boil again. Cover, and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until tender.

5. Add the mushroom / tomato mixture to the beans and their water. Add salt, pepper and fresh coriander. Mix and bring to simmer. Simmer, uncovered on med-low heat for another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove cinnamon stick before serving.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport