Egg instant access now 3.25% (2.00% bonus).

Options

Comments

• Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Curiously you won't find this account on Moneyfacts. Why? I heard they disapprove of accounts with short term bonuses and refuse to include any over 1%.

But as long as you remember in a year's time it is a good rate. Martin has links to reminder tools here.
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Stompa wrote: »
    Hmmm, I just opened a new (2.80%) account with Egg about 6 weeks ago, though haven't got around to funding it yet. I guess this means I've got to close that and open a new one.....?

Where is it showing the rate? If I log on to my Egg accounts I can't see any mention of the current rate?

Thanks
    You dont have to close the other account. Just put non-Egg money into the new one.

If you click on the historical rates link at the top of the account the cut off for the previous 2.80 rate is showing at August 6. They havent added the new rate yet as the account was only added this morning so I expect it will be updated soon.

You can also send them a msg or call them to confirm the rate you are getting.
  • jrs101
    jrs101 Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Open the account as an existing customer. Transfer your savings out to another account (e.g. a current account you have with another bank). Then transfer it back to egg into your new account... simples :)

Thanks for that.

Is it therefore worth closing the "old" savings account (it is annual interest) so therefore any interest accrued in that one I can put the new one??
  • Megalomaniac
    Options
    mjmal51 wrote: »
    That's what I intend to do, but it is a real pain when banks insist on "new money" and do not reward existing customers without going through this farce.

Too true... but that's why it pays to be part of this forum, to keep yourself abreadth of what is on offer. Most of the population don't think about interest on savings. As long as their money is in an account which has the word 'savings' on it, they're happy as they 'know' they're earning interest on the balance.
  • KTF
    Options
    Reaper wrote: »
    Curiously you won't find this account on Moneyfacts. Why? I heard they disapprove of accounts with short term bonuses and refuse to include any over 1%.
    The account is listed on their daily rate bulletin page so maybe they are just slow to update the main site?

https://www.emoneyfacts.co.uk/news/savings-news.aspx
  • KTF
    Options
    jrs101 wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Is it therefore worth closing the "old" savings account (it is annual interest) so therefore any interest accrued in that one I can put the new one??
    Unless you plan to use the old savings account in the future then I would close it if you want the interest straight away. You have to give them an account number and sort code that will be used to pay any interest in to as part of the process.
  • Megalomaniac
    Options
    jrs101 wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Probably a good idea. But just be doubly sure on the interest rate you are getting. If it's lower than the 3.25% in the new account, it would probably make sense to close the old one (but once again transfer the interest via another bank account elsewhere to your new Egg savings).
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,355 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 August 2009 at 11:40AM
    Options
    See this: http://new.egg.com/visitor/0,,3_54050--View_451,00.html (All previous 'offers')
    Egg Savings Account (Internet) introductory rate (for accounts opened from 26 June 2009 to date) 3.25% gross pa/AER variable (includes introductory 12 month fixed bonus rate of 2.00% gross pa and is subject to conditions)

Egg Savings Account (Internet) introductory rate (for accounts opened between 14 November 2008 and 25 June 2009) 2.50% gross pa/AER variable (includes introductory 12 month variable bonus rate and is subject to conditions)

Egg Savings Account (Internet) introductory rate (for accounts opened between 11 October and 13 November 2008) 2.50% gross pa/AER variable (includes introductory 12 month variable bonus rate and is subject to conditions)

Egg Savings Account (Internet) introductory rate (for accounts opened between 8 May and 10 October 2008) 6.30% gross pa/AER fixed for 12 months
    Just to note this rate would apear to apply retrospectively to accounts opened since 26 June... i.e. they have increased the 'fixed' element to 2% (from 1.55%?) In other words people who opened an Egg savings since June don't need to go around opening a second ES account. (Remember that they did the same thing with the '6.3%' account, which started life as '6.05%')
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    KTF wrote: »
    If you click on the historical rates link at the top of the account the cut off for the previous 2.80 rate is showing at August 6. They havent added the new rate yet as the account was only added this morning so I expect it will be updated soon.
    Ah OK, sorry I'd interpreted your original post as implying that it displayed the current rate somewhere (other than in historical rates).
    KTF wrote: »
    You dont have to close the other account. Just put non-Egg money into the new one..
    OK, so they've increased the rate on existing accounts, rather than bringing out a new variant of the account with a higher rate. I wonder if I could open a new one though, just to regain the 6 weeks bonus that I've already lost? I might give it a try.

Does anybody know if you can make payments into these accounts by just specifying account number and sort code, or do they require it to be a transfer from a linked account?

Thanks
    Stompa
  • KTF
    Options
    Looking on the help files you can transfer in (using faster payments) if you quote their sort code and your account number. You can also make an instant payment in by debit card. It doesnt have to come from the linked account. That is only used to get money out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure