What to charge DS for housekeeping?

My 18 year old has left school and now working. He doesnt earn a lot - about £500 a month. I really need to charge some sort of housekeeping as child benefit, tax credits and Child maintenance have stopped for him, but I don't know what to ask for. What do other people think? Many thanks.

Comments

• liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    How much have you lost in total now that he's working?

Lots of parents seem to say 1 third of their income when asked on earlier threads - 1/3 spend 1/3 save 1/3 board.

Would that cover your loss?
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • No it doesn't, although I'm not trying to recoup what I've lost. More just wanting him to contribute. Thanks for the 1/3 tip. That makes it nice and easy.:T
  • starbump
    starbump Posts: 357 Forumite
    No one will agree with me but I wouldn't charge my child for living in the family home. He's going to be leaving home soon and no amount of money will make up for it. However, that's just my opinion and not a criticism of the OP.

These threads may be useful:
    Working children paying keep - how much?
    Once your kids are earning should you charge them housekeeping?
    Adult son starting 1st job - how much should he pay (staying at home)?
  • starbump wrote: »
    No one will agree with me but I wouldn't charge my child for living in the family home. He's going to be leaving home soon and no amount of money will make up for it. However, that's just my opinion and not a criticism of the OP.

These threads may be useful:
    Working children paying keep - how much?
    Once your kids are earning should you charge them housekeeping?
    Adult son starting 1st job - how much should he pay (staying at home)?
    I wouldn't either, but what I would do is take a proportion of his wages every month and let him think it's for board etc and put it away for when he leaves to get his own place. It gets him into the habit of budgetting and paying his way but could potentially see him with a nice bundle of savings to get himself set for independant living.

That said, I think I would also reinforce that as a working adult in the household it's his responsibility to take on more of the duties around the house like proportional amounts of housework, cooking the dinner etc to take the load of you a little bit.
  • RedBern
    RedBern Posts: 1,237 Forumite
    starbump wrote: »

and in the real world he's going to find out how expensive it is when your mum's not doing everything for you. Personally I think you should take something from him - even if you put it into an account to help pay his deposit when he is ready to move on. (note to self ... practice what you preach re DD!:D)
    Bern :j
  • doelani
    doelani Posts: 2,576 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    starbump wrote: »
    He's going to be leaving home soon and no amount of money will make up for it. However, that's just my opinion and not a criticism of the OP.

they do not always leave , my 21 year old and 18 year old are still here and say they are NEVER leaving lol
    TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb :T
  • gremlin
    gremlin Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    doelani wrote: »
    they do not always leave , my 21 year old and 18 year old are still here and say they are NEVER leaving lol

hah thats nothing, you could have years yet lol

my SIL has her 28 yo & 30 yo's STILL at home. :eek: Mental :confused:
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye" - Miss Piggy
  • My big bro still lives at home - he's 54 on his bidet!!!
    He gives my mother £450 a month - which I don't think is NEARLY enough.
    When she's gone that won't even cover the bills and council tax - he has no idea of what things cost.
  • kr15snw
    kr15snw Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    My brother is 30 and lives at home as he only pays £200 a month. He earns about £25k a year...

He is not saving for property and spends all his money on big tvs and fast cars, and has openly admitted he has no ideas of moving out as he is very happy there....

All his cooking, cleaning and everything is done for him. He gets tea put on his lap on a tray and then the dirty plate is took off his lap at the end of the meal. His dirty clothes are picked up off his bedroom floor and returned to his wardrobe ironed. His bed is made for him each morning and his room is dusted and vacuumed.

Personally, I think he needs a kick up the !!!.

But anyway. I think you have to charge them something otherwise that take things for granted and never plan to move out, and just want to sponge! If you do not need the money then take what is a fair amount (the 1/3 rule sounds good) and put it in a secret savings account so that when they say they want to move out they have a sizeable sum to put towards their deposit (this is what my MIL did for the OH, he was very surprised by the 10k cheque!)
    Green and White Barmy Army!
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    What are his plans? Is this a prt-time job before he goes to college? An apprenticeship?

I think it depends if this is a stepping stone or if he is just working pt and expecting you to pay for his way.

If it's a stepping stone then support him a bit and don;t charge hom until he's earning properly but if he is being lazy then charge him to kick him into gear!

I had a gap between A levels and college and worked full time but didn;t pay board. After I left college I got my own flat and paid everything from my wages.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure