1 tsp salt
225g tinned tomatoes (or passata)
8 tbsp veg oil
1 tsp tomato puree
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp paprika

Method

Stage 1
Peel and slice onions, garlic and ginger (if cheating and using minced ginger/garlic from a jar miss next bit out) and put chopped ginger and garlic in a blender with half a pint of the water, and blend till smooth.

Place onions, blended ginger/garlic and the rest of water into a large saucepan.

Add salt and bring to boil. Turn heat down and simmer on very low, with lid on, for 45 mins. Leave to cool.

Stage 2
Once cooled, blend onion mixture (do half at a time) in a blender until perfectly smooth (this is important).

Can be frozen at this stage.

Stage 3
If using tinned tomatoes give them a blast in a blender until smooth (I use passata as I'm lazy LOL!).

Heat up oil in a large clean pan then add the tomato puree, turmeric and paprika. Stir in blended tomatoes and bring to boil. Turn down heat and cook for 10 mins, stirring occassionally.

Add onion mixture to saucepan and bring back to the boil. Turn down again to very low and simmer for 20-25 mins, stirring occassionally. During the cooking process a froth will appear on the surface which needs to be skimmed off.

The sauce is now ready to use or can be refigerated for up to 4 days. I've also frozen it at this stage and it's been absolutely fine.

I know it sounds like a long, complicated process, which is one of the reasons I make it in bulk batches, but it really is worth the effort if you want to make curries like the ones they serve in Indian restaurants/take-aways :)

~

The curries themselves only take 10 mins to cook (if using pre-cooked chicken/lamb/veggies) and the basic method is to heat the oil on a high heat in a large deep pan (karahi or wok) then add the base curry sauce and bring to the boil, add meat and cook for 5 mins, add spices and then turn down to simmer for 5 mins. Add any cream or yoghurt if required, and some freshly chopped coriander, and it's ready to serve!

New addition: I tend to use pre-cooked leftover meat and veggies when making these curries, but occasionally use fresh meat (chicken breast/thigh meat, diced lamb etc) depending what's available and my previous advice was to fry this off in the oil before adding the sauce. However, I found this method made the meat a little tougher and somewhat drier so I've been experimenting again to get a better result!

When you're making the base curry sauce, keep back about a cupful of the onion puree mix, before adding the tomatoes, then heat up some oil in a pan and add the reserved onion puree. Once it has combined together add your raw meat, cut into bite-sized chunks, and bring to the boil. Turn it down and leave to simmer for around 20-30 mins until the meat is just cooked through - a bit less for chicken than lamb. Drain the meat and throw away the juices/sauce. This makes the meat far more succulent when you come to use it your curries and you can do this beforehand whilst making the base sauce and fridge/freeze until needed.

~

Some tried and tested recipes ...

Chicken Korma (serve 3-4)

4 tbsp veg oil
425ml curry sauce
450g cooked chicken
2 tbsp cashew nuts, roughly chopped
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp garam masala
150ml coconut cream
1 tbsp finely chopped coriander

Chicken Bhuna (serves 3-4)

50g mushrooms, sliced
1/2 green pepper, sliced (fry both of these in the oil for 5 mins before adding sauce)
6 tbsp veg oil
425ml curry sauce
450g cooked chicken
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp chilli powder
11/2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried fenugreek
1 tbs finely chopped coriander

Chicken Moghlai (serves 3-4)

6 tbsp veg oil
425ml curry sauce
450g cooked chicken
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp turmeric
2 eggs
150ml single cream
11/2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp ground cumin
4 mango slices, tinned or fresh
1 tbsp finely chopped coriander

After adding meat, turn down and simmer 5 mins ... whisk eggs and add to cream ... spoon off excess oil on surface and stir in eggs/cream. Add spices and simmer further 5 mins. Serve with sliced mango on side.

Links to three more curry recipes I've since added:
Murgh Makhani (Butter Chicken)

Chappatis

225g chappati flour
110ml water (approx)

Place flour in bowl and slowly add water, bringing it together with fingertips, until you have a soft pliable dough. Knead with wet hands for a couple minutes then leave to rest for 15 mins.

Heat up a hotplate/griddle type thing to cook them on. Roughly divide dough into 8-10 pieces and with flour-dusted hands, roll each piece into a ball. Press flat and dust flour on both sides then roll out into circles approx 6" diameter. Place on hot griddle and cook for approx 30 seconds each side. Remove from griddle and using tongues hold over a meduim flame and it will puff up in seconds. Wrap in clean tea-towel to keep warm.

Naan Bread

450g SR flour
1/2tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
2tbsp veg oil
4 tbsp plain yoghurt (beaten)
2 eggs (beaten)
150ml water approx

(can add garlic, herbs, spices to flavour)

Sift flour, salt, baking powder into bowl and add oil, yoghurt and eggs (plus any herbs/spices you want to add) and mix. Add water slowly, using hands to bring together until you have a soft dough. Knead with wet hands for a couple mins then leave to rest for 15 mins.

Pre-heat oven to highest temp and place baking tray in to heat up.

Divide dough into 6 equal portions, and with floured hands roll each piece into a ball in palms of hand. Pull each ball out into a tear shape and place 2 at a time onto hot baking baking tray and return to oven immediately for about 3-4 minutes. Remove tray from oven and place under hot grill for about 30 seconds to brown and crisp top lightly. Keep warm in clean tea-towel.

Pilau Rice

2 cups Basmati rice
1 tbsp ghee or oil
1 tbsp finely chopped onion
6 green cardamons
2" cinnamon stick
4 cloves
2 bay leaves
3 cups cold water
1/2 tsp salt
red & yellow food colour (optional)

* Pre-heat oven to 160C/Gas 3 and wash rice in several changes of water - drain well.

* Fry onion, cardamons, cinnamon stick and cloves in ghee/oil for a couple of minutes till soft.

* Add the drained rice and fry for a further minute or two.

* Add cold water to rice and bring to the boil, then put lid on and leave to simmer on low for 5 minutes.

* Give gentle stir with fork so not to break rice then replace lid and simmer for 3 minutes. Repeat and cover for further 2 minutes.

* Remove from heat then sprinkle few drops (or pinch if using powder) food colouring onto rice.

* Replace lid and put in oven for 15-20 minutes to finish cooking and set colours. (Time to prepare and cook curry then!)

* Stir with fork before turning out onto serving plate to distribute colours, and voila! ... the perfect pilau rice :)

Edit:- These recipes are closely based on those in this book:-

Title: The Curry Secret : Indian Restaurant Cookery at Home

Author: Kris Dhillon

ISBN-10: 0716020548
ISBN-13: 978-0716020547
"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
~
It is that what you do, good or bad,
will come back to you three times as strong!

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Using your base sauce I made the chicken korma today. I didn't have the nuts (quiet at the back) but I had all the other ingredients and all I can say is that I'm very glad I made enough to have seconds and to hell with my waistline!! :)

Just so you know... when I was working I was a very regular patron of my local takeaway. So much so that I was often invited to sit at the staff table and join them for "home cooking". I'm the only person they knew of that had an account - in the whole city! And I'm also the only person of non ethnic background that I know of who has ever worked in a takeaway.

I might not know how to make it but I sure as heck know how to eat it and your recipe was first class.

Yay!! :)

ps.gif#

The recipe I'm talking about is in our Old Style Recipe Collection.

Edit: And is now the first post in this thread :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • I second that Squeaky!!!

I've already posted on this on my "Imessed up " thread but will quite happily say it again.

Curry _Queen you are an absolute star!!

I will be your guinea pig any time. :A :T
  • HEAR,HEAR!!!! :T :A :T :A :T
    Its sooooooooooooooooooooo fab isnt it!!! both me and my DH swear we are never,ever going to buy a takeaway curry ever again because it just wont match up :D
    so easy to see how she got her name isnt it :rotfl:
  • I did post this somewhere else but incase anyone missed it I will again..

my mum loves to cook however I know in her curry she uses curry paste... as a christmas pressy I am putting together a basket filled with minced jars of ginger, chilli and garlic, bags of all the spices required, nice bottle of oil, tomato puree.. all the none fresh stuff plus a copy of curry queens indian takeaway night post.. nice bow and a little holly.. I know my mum will love that. my even make it a large basket and put in some nice balti and silver rice dishes... think i have seen these at a good price in asda.
  • Ach, you lot are making me embarrassed!!! embarrassed0027px.gif

But thank you all for the positive feedback, I'm so pleased you're all enjoying them! It's almost as satisfying as if I'd thrown a dinner party and had you all as guests :dance: :D

thayou30wy.gif
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    So... did we make you BLUSH?
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • gkf
    gkf Posts: 404 Forumite
    Where can I find the recipe please?
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It's in our Old Style Recipe Collection.

For a shortcut straight there ---> Click Here
  • Ach, you lot are making me embarrassed!!! embarrassed0027px.gif

But thank you all for the positive feedback, I'm so pleased you're all enjoying them! It's almost as satisfying as if I'd thrown a dinner party and had you all as guests :dance: :D

thayou30wy.gif

Now there's an idea C_Q, so when are we invited???? :D:D:D:D I agree with everyone else, you are the ultimate rescue remedy superstar, and the curry is out-of-this-world. THANK YOU!
    Three years, six months, three weeks, 13 hours, 48 minutes and 30 seconds. 26011 cigarettes not smoked, saving $11,704.80. Life saved: 12 weeks, 6 days, 7 hours, 35 minutes.
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I will definatley give it a go. Me & DH have never tried Indian Food before.
    Yes I know......we live a very sheltered life over here :D How is your new trials going CQ?
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure