Training Provide Gone Bust

Options
hello all i am new, recetly my training provider has gona bust. i was studdying with advent computer training and had an unsecrued peronal loan(with barclays) over 5 years. i am only 1 year into the loan an the company(advent) has gone bust.

what should i do. i dont want to pay a loan for the next 4 years and also have to pay for training materials and exams(wich are £88) each. i can afford it.. it will ruin my career if i can't progress with studys and ruin my finances if i have to pay this loan back without getting what i payed for.

is there some comsumer protection i can use? please any and all help welcome

Comments

• andylewis1980
    Options
    Hi how do you know they have gone bust? i am also doing a 3 year course with them and half hour ago i recieved email saying they couldnt continue my training im sure this is just a scam email or have you actually spoken to them?
  • JMH_Dorset
    Options
    I too was a student of Advent, until I received the email today.
    It is with the very greatest regret that I have to write to you to tell you that having tried our very best we have been unable to secure ongoing funding for the company and accordingly as matters currently stand we are unable to continue to provide your training.

Arrangements are being made for an insolvency practitioner to be appointed and I am sure you will be hearing from him. No doubt you will want to discuss the position with him or an adviser.

Yours sincerely

Advent Computer Training

I also have an unsecured loan, of which I have already paid over £3000. However, I never actually began the course, due to my employer asking me to postpone the training.

I guess it's just a matter of waiting to hear from the Insolvency Practitioner. If they are completely broke, is it likely that I'll get any of my money back (e.g. from some sort of government pot)?
  • Chokeyouout
    Options
    Hi how do you know they have gone bust? i am also doing a 3 year course with them and half hour ago i recieved email saying they couldnt continue my training im sure this is just a scam email or have you actually spoken to them?

check out there website theres a message on there for all students I too am a student due to start paying of the loan in March:(
  • Chokeyouout
    Options
    who knows mine was payed cash £6000 at the beggining i have passed 4 exams i just hope this is a spam email, there website is still up and running and there is no mention of it on there, best thing to do is wait untill the morning and try and ring them am gutted if they have because i bet it would take years to try and get any kind of money back from them

check again mate
    adventtraining.co.uk

its right there official announcement
  • andylewis1980
    Options
    check again mate
    adventtraining.co.uk

its right there official announcement

GUTTED just seen it now mate i thought they was a sound training company promising the world they never found me a post anywhere the salesman was full of promises. great start to 2010 hey guys???.!!!
  • ekdain
    Options
    I'm in the same boat here , payed 5300 for a MCSE course , finished only 1 major unit , ironically I rang them two days ago as i've not been able to continue my course and asked them if there was anyway I could get a part refund on my fee's , two days later I recieved that Email.
  • JMH_Dorset
    Options
    I just worked out that my student loan is actually directly with Advent themselves (or rather, their parent company, Anglo Capital).

So, I'm guessing that means I can cancel my direct debit and not worry about anyone chasing me for money...

I also discovered they have another training company which has also gone bust... Access2TradeCareers (you'll have to Google it, as I'm not allowed to post links).
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    JMH_Dorset wrote: »
    I just worked out that my student loan is actually directly with Advent themselves (or rather, their parent company, Anglo Capital).

So, I'm guessing that means I can cancel my direct debit and not worry about anyone chasing me for money...

I also discovered they have another training company which has also gone bust... Access2TradeCareers (you'll have to Google it, as I'm not allowed to post links).
    In your dreams - there are several posts today similar to this - my opinion is that the finance and training are separate - you take out a loan to pay for the course IMO you are still liable to repay the loan - I hope for you that I'm wrong.
  • purpleyowzer
    Options
    I'm in the same boat with not knowing what is going to happen. I paid back my loan but have not completed the course... Does anyone think there will be some compensation? I really can't afford to lose out on this course.
  • Glennftanner
    Options
    This is a tricky one, I'm still on the course though haven't gotten that far through it or not as far as I would of liked too have, anyway I've been paying barclays for a year now and am in the same boat as a few people wondering if I still owe barclays for a course which is no longer available to me.
    I've started to look into the consumer credit laws and it looks like because barclays have paid they money to advent whom have them past on the repayment to me for services rendered (or not in this case) barclays have to take on what is called shared liability (hopefully they insured themselfs against this).
    Now I think if barclays can claim their own money back via the insovency company then in theory they money I'm currently repaying has been cleared but this is currently speculative and am waiting till I can speak to barclays tommorow for more info.

I wish everyone good luck. We may need it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure