PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How to remove smells from car upholstery

Comments

• Hope this is the right place for the post.
    My little girl (4)was ill last week and threw up in the back of the car (only 6 months old {sob!}).
    That day I cleaned up the sick and borrowed one of those wet/dry vacuum cleaner and used upholstery cleaner to get the rest up.
    There is still rather a nasty lingering smell which gets REALLY bad if the sun shines and the car warms up.

Please can anybody help with any suggestions as to how to get rid of the smell. The sick went on the seatbelt, the car seat and the carpet.

Thanks in advance!!!
    I used to be a taxi-driver, and the worst smell was split milk in the boot of a car it lingers forever.I found that if you spray the car with aftershave it helps to disperse it a bit. Anyone who hurled in my cab I had to take in to a valeters and it cost the customer the cleaning fee, plus my loss of earnings whilst it was cleaned.
    It is a rotten smell though and I know how whiffy it can get especially on a hot day !
    Good luck ,Jackie ,happily retired ex-cab driver.
  • PIPPER_2
    PIPPER_2 Posts: 71 Forumite
    I know a horrid thought, but my son has had a fever and got sick in the car yesterday. The smell is quite strong, but being a mum, now quite normal(!?)
    The one thing I want to do is clean the car upholstery as his car-seat is 40deg washable. Also the carpet below his seat got a doing and even though I scrubbed with dettol, it still smells.

Any home remedies appreciated, otherwise I may well have to fork out for a valet - Galaxy - so quite pricey I would imagine.
    Thanks in anticipation!!
  • djtonyb
    djtonyb Posts: 629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If the patch is still damp - try putting bicarbonate of soda on it leave for a few hours then hover the power up.

Worked on fresh stains on home carpet
    Fat and proud lol
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi Pipper,

We have an existing thread on the same topic, so I've merged yours with it as it helps Old Style readers to find all the suggestions together. As always, the posts are listed in date order, so you'll need to read from the beginning to see all the replies.

Pink
  • PIPPER_2
    PIPPER_2 Posts: 71 Forumite
    I popped into the local hand car wash and they quoted £20 for that small area plus normal clean of car. When I asked how much for all seats, he shook his head and said, "Too much.." I must have looked like a right wrong-un! He actually meant to say £95 madam!
    Anyway, thanks, read all the above and I'm just off, again, with me rubber gloves and some biological w-up powder!!
  • Quincy_3
    Quincy_3 Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Odour Fogger they are brilliant.

Gets rid of any smell :)
  • HopeElizzy
    HopeElizzy Posts: 608 Forumite
    Do your seats move at all? Our back seats tip forward to make the boot space bigger - if yours do this have you checked underneath? :embarasse Sorry this is very icky but our daughter did a bit of an exorcist job in our car last week, even sprayed her little brother, and though we cleaned and scrubbed with various things we couldn't get rid of the smell. OH who is a musician, moved the seats to get his gear in the boot 2 days later and found a large pool of vomit underneath the seat!! I know, I know, VERY disgusting but I felt I had to share!:p
    "all endings are also beginnings. We just don't know it at the time..."
  • full-time-mum
    full-time-mum Posts: 1,962 Forumite
    My delightful daughter threw up all over my car a week ago.

As soon as we got back, I cleaned it out with some detergent and then sprayed with Fabreeze. I've been leaving it on the drive with the windows open all week but it was still smelling yesterday so I cleaned the carpet and the seats with carpet cleaner, let it dry and hoovered as per instructions and then sprayed more fabreeze for good measure.

The car is still smelly - admittedly not so bad - so I was hoping one of you good people would have a better idea. I really do have better things to do with my time than shampooing the car's interior every week.

Thanks
    7 Angel Bears for LovingHands Autumn Challenge. 10 KYSTGYSES. 3 and 3/4 (ran out of wool) small blanket/large square, 2 premie blankets, 2 Angel Claire Bodywarmers
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    I once had a carton of milk spill in my week old car and it really did smell bad. I got some Nuerodol (?) products and it got rid of the smell very quickly, it was a long time ago but I think I used the carpet freshener which you then hoover up and a car air freshener.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    There're masses of ideas in the cleaning index and here's a thread on exactly the same topic.
    I'll merge your question to the older thread later to keep all the answers together.

For what it's worth, there was a decided cat smell on our pram the other day and I sprayed a weak vinegar solution on it with a little lavendar in it. Then I sprinkled with bicarb of soda, left to dry and hoovered it up. It worked a treat but I'd check on a small patch first to make sure it won't stain.

Doh! I got the links mixed up. They're both there, just the wrong way round.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure