what do you put your cover letter on? plain or lined paper?!

hello

trying to do a cover letter but do you write one on lined or plain paper?

:)

Comments

• Assume you're applying for a job? I do quite a bit of recruiting - I'd type and print (at library maybe if you don't have a printer?) or if you must handwrite, on plain with plenty of space. Lined looks a little student-y rather than professional...
    MFW Challenge member no. 96 - on hold! :rolleyes:
    Girl Cub due 14th September :D
  • oystercatcher
    oystercatcher Posts: 2,329 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Never, ever write any letters on lined paper. It makes you look illiterate.

Lined paper is for students.

If you are worried about not keeping lines straight on hand written letters then use the guide stuff that has lines and goes under plain paper.

Anything formal looks better printed if possible.

Oystercatcher
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • thanks for the advice i thought plain paper, it has been staring me in the face now for a hour but just had to ask you wise people.

they all state hand written cover letter with cv (not exactly like that but you know what i mean. )
  • Reds-on-Sea
    Reds-on-Sea Posts: 428 Forumite
    put some lined paper underneath your plain sheet though so that your handwriting doesn't go all wonky! :o)
  • SandC
    SandC Posts: 3,929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Writing pads come with a bold lined sheet for inserting under your plain paper as a guide. Most of us would otherwise have hideously slanting writing that we don't realise we're doing until we've done it!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,564 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    SandC wrote: »
    Writing pads come with a bold lined sheet for inserting under your plain paper as a guide. Most of us would otherwise have hideously slanting writing that we don't realise we're doing until we've done it!

Apologies if it isn't what you meant but if you mean those little writing pads (Basildon Bond type) I would advise against that for covering letter. I think current way is a sheet of A4.
  • badkitti
    badkitti Posts: 83 Forumite
    I'd type it every time if at all possible - can you get a friend to help you if its an issue. I don't think many people accept handwritten cover letters these days, although that may not be the case everywhere.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    It needs to be handwritten so you can demonstrate you can write, know how to lay out a letter and keep the lines straight.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • thanks for the advice i thought plain paper, it has been staring me in the face now for a hour but just had to ask you wise people.

they all state hand written cover letter with cv (not exactly like that but you know what i mean. )

hmm, I wonder if that is for handwriting analysis purposes...

http://careers.guardian.co.uk/handwriting-analysis
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport