Have you tried to reclaim PPI?

Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 6 November 2012 at 11:32AM in MoneySaving polls
Poll started 7 Nov 2012

Banks have set aside about £13 billion to pay victims of PPI mis-selling, with over £6 billion already reclaimed. It's free to do yourself (so don't pay a claims company), while banks are supposed to write to victims to offer money back.

Which of the options in this week's poll is nearest to your view?

Did you vote? Why did you pick that option? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click this

Comments

• Should be a "no - because I never paid PPI" option as well as a "no - I can't be bothered" one, rather than just "no" !

I haven't because I've never paid it but I have checked all my paperwork to make sure I haven't!
  • Old_Wrinkly
    Old_Wrinkly Posts: 5,182 Forumite
    MSE_Debs wrote: »
    Which of the options in this week's poll is nearest to your view?
    Vote in this week's poll
    Did you vote? Why did you pick that option? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below.
    Should be a "no - because I never paid PPI" option as well as a "no - I can't be bothered" one, rather than just "no" !

I haven't because I've never paid it ...

As catmonkey85 says, the options are inadequate to adequately represent the true situation. (Was that the plan?)

Lots of people will fall into the "No - because I never paid any PPI in the first place" category.

Faced with options of :
    Have you tried to reclaim PPI?
    No
    No – but I am planning to
    Yes – using a claims company
    Yes - doing it myself
    Yes – the bank contacted me
    such people have to either answer with a bald 'No' (leaving MSE Towers to apply its own interpretation), or they just don't take part in the Poll.
  • stevemcol
    stevemcol Posts: 1,666 Forumite
    Never been duped into PPI and if I was it would've been my fault.
    Apparently I'm 10 years old on MSE. Happy birthday to me...etc
  • Where is the "I'd be happy to pay PPI just to stop the PPI Reclaim companies calling me!"
  • How about 'no - I read my paperwork'

So sick of seeing stories about people who were 'mis-sold' PPI who are clearly just trying it on. Saw a story about a woman who had it on her credit card from around 1990 and is now claiming she only saw it on her statement this year?!

Even if it was erroneously added to her account 'without her knowledge'; surely she's read a statement more than once in over 20 years?

Deciding that, in hindsight, you probably didn't need PPI is not a reason for it having been 'mis-sold'.

Absolute nonsense!
  • jap200
    jap200 Posts: 2,033 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    NO! I also read the paperwork and asked the right questions for the last 20 odd years and worked out years ago that PPI was nothing more than a scam in most cases.

Martin - you really should have another option:

"No, I wasn't daft enough to fall for PPI in the first place - EVER!"
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I never paid PPI either. A badly conceived list of options.

That said, I suppose I could have put in a claim anyway . . . but that wasn't on the list either.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • I have to admit I never checked the paperwork on a loan I had years ago.

I was 100% positive I'd never had it (I'd definately never asked for it).

Still, with the interest, it will be nice wee christmas bonus.
  • I've always checked paperwork carefully before filling in and sending off for anything but I know that over that years I've had PPI added to many, many things. So many companies do this - rip off merchants the lot of them.

I've had an enormous battle many times to get it stopped and the charges made refunded!

So many companies do this that it has put me off most things and I avoid anything and everything now like the plague!

There should be a law passed that if any company doesn't read your paperwork properly and action it correctly they have to pay you £500 compensation - bet that would get things done more correctly!
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I did claim after reading an article on here and spotting the line on my credit card bill, filled in the form, and I received a fat cheque, inc 7% interest 5 weeks later.

It was painless and "paid" a decent interest rate. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure