PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking A Gammon Joint in the Slow Cooker

Comments

• We did a gammon joint on nyd, actually cooked it on nye. Before going to the pub, chopped a couple of onions, carrots and parsnips and placed the whole lot in the slow cooker with the gammon. Make some tiny slits in the joint and then fill the slow cooker up with coke (needs to be full fat proper coke) chucked it on at about 2am and turned it off when I got up at about 10. After that, smear some honey over the joint and pop it in the oven at a highish heat for 30 mins. Bellisimo!

I don't know if they're still at it but I know recently tesco were doing 2.6kg gammon joints for £6.
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I bought a half price joint from Tesco - down from £12 to £6. I've never cooked one before. It didn't say to soak it. It only said to run it under cold water then dry it, which I did. It took just over 3 hours in the oven but it was too salty. About an hour after i'd eaten it with a salad I was very sick. It's really put me off. I thought i'd read somewhere that you had to soak it but the instructions on this joint didn't tell you to, so I didn't. :o
  • anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    I always soak gammon joints overnight because there's just no way of knowing how salty they are until you've cooked and tasted it. I bought a couple of the £6 Tesco gammons, 1 is in the freezer and the other was done in the slow cooker after soaking it overnight. It was beautiful, we've had it with salad, in soup, sliced in sandwiches and there's some sliced in portions in the freezer.
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • i usually cook the joint wrapped in foil on a medium heat for a couple of hours (tend to just play it by ear re timing, iykwim!) and ive never had a too-salty gammon joint so not sure about soaking etc.

my one money saving tip would be to only cook the amount you need - if I buy a large piece and cook it in one go, in our house it just gets nibbled and wont stretch to another meal!! now i just cut up the large joint into smaller joints and cook them as needed.

yummy, i love gammon! :T
    wading through the treacle of life!

debt 2016 = £21,000. debt 2021 = £0!!!!
  • bluebag
    bluebag Posts: 2,450
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    i always soak it in water overnight, then bring it to boil and change the water, then cook, this seems to reduce the saltiness.
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    ive merged this with the thread on cooking a gammon joint in the slow cooker.

thanks

Zip :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Just to report back, the gammon in apple juice was amazing!! And enough for 3-4 dinners easily!
    Mortgage£148,725 Student loan£13,050 HSBC loan£12,221
    AprGC:£/£320
  • kirstiex
    kirstiex Posts: 175 Forumite
    Evening all

Have recently purchased a slow cooker in an attempt to have some healthy meals for when I come home (living on my own during week and getting lazy with cooking!).

This will be my first attempt and have a 750g gammon joint that I'd like to cook tomorrow - there is much mention of using coke, apple juice, cider etc which I will try (not altogether tho!) but my question is how much liquid do I need to use - does it need to completely cover the joint?

Also how long should I cook for and on low or high?

Sorry for all the questions
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    mine has 3 settings low med and high i tend to pop in just enough water so that it lines the bottom as i find there is always a lot of liquid that comes out of the gammon, i pop mine on high for the day norm switch on 8ish in morn and off 5-6
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • kirstiex
    kirstiex Posts: 175 Forumite
    Many thanks - didn't want to come home and find the house burnt down if it'd burnt dry!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure