Real Human Skeleton - Where to sell?

From my medical days (from way back), I have a genuine real human skeleton which I would like to sell.
I've found an online shop in the usa which sells them for abt £2,000 and there are a few human bones for medical study currently on ebay which i'll keep an eye on for price valuation. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts? I've just realized setting a reserve price on ebay is non-refundable at 2% so do you think maybe my best bet is an auction house rather than ebay? all advice welcome!

Comments

• Reserving this spot for whenever I think of a suitable punchline...
    I'm not bad at golf, I just get better value for money when I take more shots!
  • cyberbob
    cyberbob Posts: 9,480
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    You cant sell Human bones on ebay.
    ebay wrote:
    Humans, the human body or any human body parts may not be listed on eBay. Examples of prohibited items include, but are not limited to: organs, bone, blood, waste, sperm, and eggs.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/remains.html

I gave a skull I had for my Osteology exams to a local medical school.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,034
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Try the big medical schools, the new intake start around now so you may get some takers.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • hermum
    hermum Posts: 7,123
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    http://completed.shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?rt=nc&LH_Complete=1&_nkw=human%20skeleton&_fln=1&_sop=7&_trksid=p3286.c0.m283&_rdc=1
    completed listings have a few, not sure if they are real or not.
    Today & tomorrow is free listing so start it on auction at the lowest price you'll accept for it, all the new students are just starting, so it could be a good time to sell.
    How would you post it?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,034
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    hermum wrote: »
    http://completed.shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?rt=nc&LH_Complete=1&_nkw=human%20skeleton&_fln=1&_sop=7&_trksid=p3286.c0.m283&_rdc=1
    completed listings have a few, not sure if they are real or not.
    Today & tomorrow is free listing so start it on auction at the lowest price you'll accept for it, all the new students are just starting, so it could be a good time to sell.
    How would you post it?

As per Cyberbob's post, this cannot be sold on ebay:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/remains.html
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • hermum
    hermum Posts: 7,123
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yes I saw that after I'd posted, I was obviously looking on the completed listings.
    Do you know then if USA has different rules as there's been several real skulls sold on the American site.
  • zenseeker
    zenseeker Posts: 4,550
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I don't think there are different rules, possible that some choose to ignore them and manage to get away with it.
    We have removed your signature - please contact the forum team if you are not sure why - Forum Team
  • ah, thats so sad! would have thought a nice burial might be better !!
    Bow Ties ARE cool :cool:

"Just because you are offended, doesnt mean you are right" Ricky Gervais :D
  • Crowqueen
    Crowqueen Posts: 5,726 Forumite
    Some people used to donate their bodies to medical science, so this is where they end up.

Still creepy to be buying and selling them, but having benefited enormously from the good old NHS this last year, I guess it's either that or have few people understanding the human body, and at least they don't grave-rob now, at least not in this country.
    "Well, it's election year, Bill, we'd rather people didn't exercise common sense..." - Jed Bartlet, The West Wing, season 4

Am now Crowqueen, MRes (Law) - on to the PhD!
  • Does it have perfect teeth?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport