We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

what can I feed the birds from the cupboard?

2»

Comments

• Mamzie
    Mamzie Posts: 2,540 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I heard someone on the radio the other day talking about putting a metal baking tray on bricks with tea lights/candles underneath.

Also see
    http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/helpingbirds/water/icefree.asp

thats a fab idea, will try this tomorrow, thanks, xxx
    My light may be on, but that doesn't always mean I am looking at the PC - I am far more likely to be cuddling or feeding Tianna atm, so please don't think I am ignoring you if I don't reply quickly :)

Our Precious Baby Tianna has now joined our Family, she is much loved and very welcome, xxx
  • Pretty much anything that doesn't contain salt. Birds are very bad at getting rid of salt from their food and too much can kill them. It can be very easy to give them too much especially if the birds you're feeding are small. I'd be wary of giving them bacon fat or rind for that reason. If you have leftover salted or dry-roasted nuts you can wash the salt or seasoning off no problem.
    If you have any off milk you can leave it to go lumpy/solid and then feed it them.
    :coffee:Coffee +3 Dexterity +3 Willpower -1 Ability to Sleep

Playing too many computer games may be bad for your attention span but it Critical Hit!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 January 2010 at 10:22PM
    ignore this,just confused! thanks!
  • moomin5
    moomin5 Posts: 404 Forumite
    nikki702 wrote: »
    I have a whole bag of skinners ruff and ready dog food ... my dog dont like it so do you think i could feed that to the birds?
    This is it HERE

Ingredients

Protein pellets containing beef meat meal,
    wheat glucose syrup, cooked flaked maize,
    extruded wholewheat biscuits, cooked flaked
    peas, cooked wheatflakes, soya oil, vitamins
    and minerals.

Best to soak it as dry food usually swells a lot, hot/warm water will soften it the quickest. When i helped out at the kennels they soaked the dry food in big tubs outside and the birds would come and help themselves. Perhaps be careful where and how much you put out so your not attracting rats/mice also.

Its probably better use to offer the bag to a local dog rescue, they often have collection points in supermarkets and pets at home.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I've restarted my nan's tradition of making my own fatballs - well... fat cylinders really... You take an old food can and make a hole in the bottom (I used the corkscrew LOL). Then take a string and thread it through - fasten with a piece of cardboard or similar. I sealed the hole with some congealed lamb fat from the sunday roast :) added crunched leftover cereal from breakfast and I'll add to it as I go :) When done you can either cut open the bottom with tin opener and warm the tin a little and slide it out the top or just leave the top and bottom open and hang the whole tin :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • Newbird
    Newbird Posts: 488 Forumite
    Just bumping this to remind everyone. I'm sure keen gardeneers are bird fans too!

Some great ideas above, it really is a life saver in this weather.

It has been snowing non stop all day here. I've had 10 blackbirds in my small top garden today, they and especially Robins are very territorial, so some squabbling over the food will happen. Please make sure you put food out in more than one area, so the ones bullied off can still get some food.

Old apples cut in half are soon gone, but again spread the halves rather than putting all in one area.

Water is also important, I put several water bowls out too.
    Bless Martin's Little Cotton Socks. I thank him for giving us MSE. Look what its grown into!

MFW = ASAP #124
  • The_Wall
    The_Wall Posts: 87 Forumite
    Any suggestions for naturally occuring food at this time of the year. We did use to put out food, but it encouraged the rats. And London rats are not nocturnal. I saw one trying to climb the tree to get to the fat balls we left out, and this was in the middle of the day :eek:

So far we have ivy, holly and virburnum all have which have berries during the winter.

Then there is a greengage and pear tree, which I assume harbour small creatures as recently I have seen the blue tits and even a greater spotted woodpecker pecking at something in the trees.

Any other plants that could be useful at this time of the year?
  • Newbird
    Newbird Posts: 488 Forumite
    Rats are cheeky and the colder it gets the more daring they will get - they can't help being rats, they've got to eat too!

Blackbirds love Pyracantha, birds will eat Hawthorn haws/berries too.

You can push sultanas into the tree bark and spread peanut butter onto it as well, for the Woodpeckers and Nuthatches - you may be lucky enough to get a Treecreeper, but I'm not sure how often these are seen in urban areas.

I always leave trimming back my ivy until the berries have finished in Feb/March to allow the birds to get them. The flowers are a very important food and nectar source in late Autumn for bees, my overgrown Ivy was buzzing with them this year.
    Bless Martin's Little Cotton Socks. I thank him for giving us MSE. Look what its grown into!

MFW = ASAP #124
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport