Curry sauces that aren't full of onions?

Comments

• badmumof1
    badmumof1 Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    Hm, Is it a specific curry or just generic curry? :)
    And I hate onions, Thus starting this thread. :rotfl:

its a curry mix that you mix with milk quite easy really
    if you dont like onions then dont add them but the packet says they are optional but you obviously need to add chicken or is that too lumpy too :p
    If You See Someone Without A Smile......
    Give Them One Of Yours
  • badmumof1
    badmumof1 Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    I always wondered about these, What do you do with these? Add extra ingredients or paste ready to serve? Would definately consider these! :T

a paste you normally have to add cream or milk
    i am sure there are instructions on the jar
    If You See Someone Without A Smile......
    Give Them One Of Yours
  • lmp0507
    lmp0507 Posts: 329 Forumite
    badmumof1 wrote: »
    its a curry mix that you mix with milk quite easy really
    if you dont like onions then dont add them but the packet says they are optional but you obviously need to add chicken or is that too lumpy too :p
    I'm fine with chicken lumps, it's the veggie lumps that creep me out :rotfl:
  • franskies
    franskies Posts: 93 Forumite
    Pastes usually require you too add tomatoes but I use passatta which means no lumps.
    Pastes work out cheaper anyway :)
    What works out cheapest is getting a curry powder mix from ethnic sections in supermarkets or ethnic food shops. I got some mild madras mix from asda for 60p. Its got at least 5 curries between me and fella. All you need to add is passatta and meat :)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I agree with you about onions OP. Apart from soups (which get blended) I avoid them at all costs, but know that when Indians make curry they don't just soften the onion, they cook it throughly so it just melts by the time other ingredients are added. These ready made and balti-house jobs are no substute for the real thing. Failing that, use a Pataks curry paste as opposed to the jarred sauce.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • lmp0507
    franskies wrote: »
    Pastes usually require you too add tomatoes but I use passatta which means no lumps.
    Pastes work out cheaper anyway :)
    What works out cheapest is getting a curry powder mix from ethnic sections in supermarkets or ethnic food shops. I got some mild madras mix from asda for 60p. Its got at least 5 curries between me and fella. All you need to add is passatta and meat :)
    Hm, very good idea, Obviously for tomato based curries, I can definately see how it would be cheaper, x
  • lmp0507
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I agree with you about onions OP. Apart from soups (which get blended) I avoid them at all costs, but know that when Indians make curry they don't just soften the onion, they cook it throughly so it just melts by the time other ingredients are added. These ready made and balti-house jobs are no substute for the real thing. Failing that, use a Pataks curry paste as opposed to the jarred sauce.
    Thank god there is someone else who hates big chunks of onions haha :T I don't really mind the taste of onion, it's just chunks of onion that bothers me, I am very much considering just switching to paste after advice on this thread :)
  • Sambucus_Nigra
    Sambucus_Nigra Posts: 8,669 Forumite
    Curry powders and make your own?
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,698
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Try supermarket value brands, you won't see any scary vegetables.
  • Absinthe_2
    Absinthe_2 Posts: 994 Forumite
    I always wondered about these, What do you do with these? Add extra ingredients or paste ready to serve? Would definately consider these! :T

It depends on what type of sauce. It always says on the side. I tend to buy the madras as can adapt. I usually add water, chopped tomatoes (from tin), and an onion (sometimes extra garlic, but not necessary, I always go overboard on seasoning's). Sometimes creamed coconut for a milder flavour. I suppose for the creamy sauces like Korma would be different ingredients.
    Oh well...
    Sealed pot challenge no: 1770
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family