PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How long do searches take?

2»

Comments

• This is like a soap opera - can't wait to hear tomorrow's instalment!! Good luck!
  • This is like a soap opera - can't wait to hear tomorrow's instalment!! Good luck!

Todays instalment;)

Well search should arrive in time to complete, should being the important word! My solicitor stills knows nothing about this. seems as tho buyers solicitor thinks it's not important to imform my solicitor of these new developments:mad: Anyway this afternoon after going to my solicitors to sign last forms etc.. was told that if the search doesnt arrive in time buyers solicitors will take out a imdemnity (spelling???) insurance so we can all complete without the search!!! Why was'nt I told of this afews ago would have stop stressing then! So all looks good at the minute but I'm still abit unsure. So hopfully, fingers crossed I will post the final instalment of the most stressfull few days of my life tomorrow from our new house.

:beer:
    No Unapproved or Personal links in signature please - FT3
  • if the council is asked (presuming its he council doing the searches and not a private company) it can be done and faxed back within an hour if there is nothing that needs researched further. where i was the turn around was 1-3 days with most being posted back teh day they came in, and anything urgent being dealt with first and faxed back within a couple of hours.
  • Well it's now been 5 days since my last post and I'm happy to say I'm now in my new house :) BUT!!!!!!

So many problems. Firstly the vendor had ripped all his light fitting out and left 6 inches of live cable hanging from most of the walls. Also nearly all of his furniture was still there (he rented the property out). Major gas leak oh and I found out this morning that I have to striped all the whole of downstairs walls back to the brick to get rid of the damp which was not mentioned in my mortgage survey!!!

But apart from all the above things are good. Did'nt complete until later friday but house was in such a state that we just stayed with family that night. Lets see what else goes wrong tomorrow.

cheers
  • ferritt wrote: »
    Well it's now been 5 days since my last post and I'm happy to say I'm now in my new house :) BUT!!!!!!

So many problems. Firstly the vendor had ripped all his light fitting out and left 6 inches of live cable hanging from most of the walls. Also nearly all of his furniture was still there (he rented the property out).

Have you spoken to your solicitor about these? There are usually clauses in the contract about fixtures and fittings and leaving the place empty.
    ferritt wrote: »
    Major gas leak oh and I found out this morning that I have to striped all the whole of downstairs walls back to the brick to get rid of the damp which was not mentioned in my mortgage survey!!!

What sort of survey did you have? If you just left it to the mortgage company their valuer may only have driven past (or even just looked at prices of similar nearby houses from the comfort of his office). Their only concern is that they will get their money back if you default and they have to reposess and don't care that much about the condition of the property.
    [/quote]
  • yeah did speak to solicitor. I threatened vendor with legal action and he came back and arranged for electrician and gas man to come round and sort out problems. Also he did come and remove all the rubbish etc he left. Did take hime 3 days tho! About the damp we only had a mortgage valuation. But when we did get it we asked if any damp was found and we were told that if it's not down on the report none was found. Also spoke to the actual surveyer and he said that exsesive damp was found in the lounge but due to the mortgage company policy it doesnt get mentioned! mortgaged company should be calling back tomorrow as rang complaints up to see why we were'nt told. Also we did want a full survey done but the actual mortgage company told us not to bother as any major problems (damp/structrure would come up in the valuation).

cheers
  • Glad you got the electrical/gas/rubbish problems sorted.

I'll be interested to hear what your mortgage company have to say. Hope you have their statement about not bothering with a survey in wriitng (or their recording of the telephone conversation).
  • well spoke to the mortgage company today and there kind of told me that in there valuation there only report items that will effect the house value. I did get back one quatation today to sort out the damp and that was for just under 3 grand!!! I think it's a case of our complaint will be noted but noting actually done about it. just finished taking all the plaster off today to the brick so may just get the lounge done at the min and sort the rest out later.

cheers
  • ferritt wrote: »
    well spoke to the mortgage company today and there kind of told me that in there valuation there only report items that will effect the house value. I did get back one quatation today to sort out the damp and that was for just under 3 grand!!! I think it's a case of our complaint will be noted but noting actually done about it. just finished taking all the plaster off today to the brick so may just get the lounge done at the min and sort the rest out later.

cheers

If you can prove that
    ferritt wrote: »
    ... we did want a full survey done but the actual mortgage company told us not to bother as any major problems (damp/structrure would come up in the valuation).

I think you would have cause for complaint against the mortgage company.

Good luck with the replastering!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport