PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking A Gammon Joint in the Slow Cooker

Comments

• babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I have just got a lovely smoked gammon joint as a 'whoopsie' from the supermarket at the bargain price of one whole pound!!!:j The price on the pack was £7.19 so a real bargain.

I am having a little experiment and have put it in the slow cooker with two squeezed out lemons (minus the skins), half a large spanish onion, the end of a carrot left over from a salad, one sliced mushroom and some italian herbs and a splash of water. I think I will add a spoonful of honey drizzled over it to add some sweetness and then serve it with new potatoes dug out of my dads garden earlier today. I will drizzle those with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with salt and black pepper when done. I am also soaking some dried peas, so may serve some of those with it as well. I have some whoopsied garlic bread (20p) so all in all it should be a cheap but delicious meal.

The peas (whats left) will be made into a substantial soup with bits of gammon left over from the joint and all the crumbs of meat from the carving tray. I'll add bits of chopped potato and carrot and some herbs from my little pot outside the door and bung it back in the slow cooker. I'll serve that with some more of my whoopsie garlic bread and may sprinkle that with a little grated cheese to make the meal more substantial.

I've also got strawberries from my pots outside for pud and have around two pounds of victoria plums from my tree waiting to be made into something delicious.

I hope it all turns out well, but its hard to go wrong with the slow cooker really.:T
    :hello: :wave: please play nicely children !
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forgot to say that I will reuse the stock from the slow cooker to make the pea and ham soup with.

Waste not want not after all!:D
    :hello: :wave: please play nicely children !
  • I have had a search and found some info but still have some questions I hope someone can help with. Never cooked gammon before but thought we'd try it so buying a 750g gammon joint in the tesco 3 for £10 deal. So far I know it should be washed first, but do I need to soak it or will a rinse under the tap do? Should I cut the fatty bit off or leave it on? How much liquid should I use and what is recommended? I've read on other posts that cola can be added but want to avoid this because I'm cooking for children too. How long should it take in the sc and low or high temp? And lastly, how will I know when it's cooked? Thanks in advance.
  • wssla00
    wssla00 Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    I don't wash it or soak it. I place a halved (unpeeled) carrot in the bottom alongside a halved onion and a halved stick of celery. I then put the gammon on top and pour on top a carton of value apple juice then put it on high for 6 hrs. Tastes lovely too :)
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • vwelsh13
    vwelsh13 Posts: 259 Forumite
    edited 27 September 2010 at 5:19PM
    Silmilar to above post sorry
    gammon in cider (suppose you could use apple juice/water)
    1kg gammon, 1 onion halved, 1 celery stick chopped, 1 carrot sliced, 13/4pints of liquid, season to taste
    Bung it in on low for 8 hours
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would say to cook it on low also for 6 hours - had a recent overcooking disaster on high but have had really good joints done on the low setting :)

I just put water in mine, but might try the apple juice. I know some people cook it in coke too! Apparently its gorgeous but I haven't tried it.... plus the stock from coke would NOT be good for lentil soup once the gammon is out of it :D

I never bother washing or soaking it either.
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Gammon in the slow cooker will also have lots of suggestions input and ideas.

I would keep it simple, throw in with a mug of water and cook on low for about 6 hours

I'll merge this later - good luck:) It's really not complicated, so don't worry x

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Hi All

Im doing a bit of gammon for Boxing Day, do I just chuck it in the slow cooker and slosh a bit of coke in? Will that do?

Also, is better to have it on low all day tomorrow or overnight tomorrow night?

Thanks!
    Sealed Pot Challenge Member 151
    Targets for 2014......

CLEAR THE OVERDRAFT - £700
    SAVE DEPOSIT FOR HOUSE £10,000 SO FAR
    LEARN TO SEW - Have made two little stuffed rabbits so far, I love them!
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I did and it worked fine

Not sure I like the coke style taste though as it was my first time, I know Nigella etc rave over it but for me it is "Emperor's clothes". Hope yours turns out OK
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • DueMarch11 wrote: »
    Hi All

Im doing a bit of gammon for Boxing Day, do I just chuck it in the slow cooker and slosh a bit of coke in? Will that do?

Also, is better to have it on low all day tomorrow or overnight tomorrow night?

Thanks!

Have you apple juice or cider? Use that to cooke with and save the coke for cleaning the loo :) Then use any leftover stock to make gammon (or bacon) and lentil soup.

Cook it either tomorrow or overnight.
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family