Power Shower on Combi Boiler????????

Hi,

I am after some advice :is it possible to have a power shower fitted when the supply is a combi boiler.

We have an electric shower with cubicle etc but its fairly weak.

I don't have £100's and would really welcome any advise if its possible and likely costs involved

Thank You :):)

Comments

• robowen
    robowen Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    on older hot water systems, power showers would have a pump fitted to boost the flow rate. :-/

You cant do that with a combi, as it already has a built in pump. All you get is the flow rate the boiler is capable of. and that is poor. :-/
    If only everything in life was as reliable...AS ME !!
    robowen 5/6/2005©

''Never take an idiot anywhere with you. You'll always find one when you get there.''
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    our condensing combi takes water at mains pressure and has a decent throughput and is powerful as you like without any need for pumps, if you find that your shower is too weak I'm guessing you either have a) a poor combi flow rate or b) water fed from a tank in the roof still, if its from the mains I'd have a word with the waterboard
  • Jazzycat
    Jazzycat Posts: 459 Forumite
    Hi,

thanks for responses.

it is main fed as we have no tank. When hot water is on it runs fairly well - not as full a pressure as cold but a fair pressure all the same. From replies it looks like I can't change the shower pressure by means of a pump so will have to make do as is.

thanks again for the advice
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    it sounds like it's more the electric shower at fault than anything, you could always trya power shower as if you're on mains fed then it should be hitting the shower at the best pressure it can, as long as the shower is powerful enough to heat and pump it through you should be ok, or failing that have a 'mixer' shower instead so you'll take your hot water direct from combi with cold from the mains via a mixer?
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi,

thanks for responses.

it is main fed as we have no tank. When hot water is on it runs fairly well - not as full a pressure as cold but a fair pressure all the same. From replies it looks like I can't change the shower pressure by means of a pump so will have to make do as is.

thanks again for the advice
    The pressure on you electric shower,might be down to blocked filter or small KW,but you can swop it for a shower value that will work on your combi

,make sure it is compatable for mains feed(combi) you can pick them up from £80-£400
  • Jazzycat
    Jazzycat Posts: 459 Forumite
    thank you all for your advice.

I will now ask a plumber to come in and advise as it appears there may be options

many thanks for your help :)
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    I have got a combi boiler and when i got a new shower i got one of those h2o showers. the hot is drawn through bu the cold so gives you a better pressure. in my last house i had a power shower and cant tell much difference between that one and the h2o.

HTH :)

by the way the h2o is available from b&q wickes etc....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure