postage to germany ???????????

hi i have recently started to sell stuff on ebay just small bits, clothing etc
to try and make some extra cash for xmas

i have listed a bundle of clothing and i have put postage only within the uk,this is only because i am wary about posting abroad because i know nothing about it !

even so someone has contacted me to see if i will post to germany,i would imagine the bundle will probably go for about £50 but to buy it new it would have been about £450

if i knew it was safe then i would consider international postage,can someone tell me what i need to do ensure it definately gets there,what kind of compensation level i should place and what i should charge the item i really heavy probably about 15/20kg,also is there anything i should check with the buyer the feedback if over 200 and its 100% at the minute

thanks in advance boots

Comments

• steviebabes
    steviebabes Posts: 2,030
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I wouldn't bother, shipping this weight would cost a packet also Germans are not keen on paypal.
  • frivolous_fay
    frivolous_fay Posts: 13,302
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    The Germans aren't mad about paypal (although its use is increasing) but they do love BANK TRANSFER - the thrifty sellers' friend :D
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Posting to Germany is easy.
    If it's light enough then Airsure is a good option.
    After that the courier services are good. Something like interparcel or parcel2go.
    Happy chappy
  • boots1_2
    boots1_2 Posts: 166
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    thanks for that folks
    is there anything that i should be aware of to avoid any problems with the buyer?
    when you say bank transfer frivolous_fay would that not be something to worry about as you would have to give them your bank details?

what the cheapest place to look for reliable postage and would you recommend if i did send it abroad to have it tracked,and would you set the compensation level to what it sold for or what i was worth origianally,i havent got any of the receipts for the clothes i am selling ,would a courier/royal mail carry the parcel if it weighed 15/20kg ?i have quoted £20 for postage within the uk would this be about right i dont want to end up spending more if it wont cover the costs ,what figure as a rough estimate would you give to the german buyer as postage costs?

sorry to have to ask all of these question as they are probably common knowledge but i haven't got a clue about this ebay thing,it seemed a good idea when i was tidying all of my cupboards out and taking the photos !!!!!!!!
    thanks again
  • frivolous_fay
    Forumite
    boots1 wrote: »
    thanks for that folks
    is there anything that i should be aware of to avoid any problems with the buyer?
    when you say bank transfer frivolous_fay would that not be something to worry about as you would have to give them your bank details?

You do that every time you write a cheque :) It's the safest possible way to get paid... other than cash in your grubby hand.
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
  • boots1_2
    Forumite
    You do that every time you write a cheque :) It's the safest possible way to get paid... other than cash in your grubby hand.

good point !:o ,i didn't think about that,
  • boots1_2
    Forumite
    boots1 wrote: »
    what the cheapest place to look for reliable postage and would you recommend if i did send it abroad to have it tracked,and would you set the compensation level to what it sold for or what i was worth origianally,i havent got any of the receipts for the clothes i am selling ,would a courier/royal mail carry the parcel if it weighed 15/20kg ?i have quoted £20 for postage within the uk would this be about right i dont want to end up spending more if it wont cover the costs ,what figure as a rough estimate would you give to the german buyer as postage costs?

sorry to have to ask all of these question as they are probably common knowledge but i haven't got a clue about this ebay thing,it seemed a good idea when i was tidying all of my cupboards out and taking the photos !!!!!!!!
    thanks again

just wondering if anyone can advise on above i have checked parcel2go and it is coming in at around £40 which i still think i may be able to get i cheaper,
    thanks boots
  • dazza.mk
    dazza.mk Posts: 1,927
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Bank Transfers are easy from Germany BUT!

1. Make sure the payment is paid in EUROS not Pounds
    2. Provide you IBAN and BIC (should be on statement) NOT Sort Code and Account Number
    3. Make sure the sender selects shared charges NOT buyer pays all charges.

As long as the above are selected the transfer will be free (due to EU legislation) - most you will pay is pennies on the Fx Rate

You can see this stated explicitly on the First Direct Fees and charges page
    "(payments up to 50,000 euros or 500,000 Swedish Krona from a country in the EU will be received free of charge provided the BIC and IBAN numbers are provided with the payment). "
    http://www.firstdirect.com/rates/charges.shtml
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,025
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    dazza.mk wrote: »
    Bank Transfers are easy from Germany BUT!

1. Make sure the payment is paid in EUROS not Pounds
    l

Unfortunately items listed on ebay uk are in pounds. Therefore the seller is obliged to accept pounds and cannot insist buyer pays in euros, unless of course buyer wants to do so and is happy with the arrangement.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • frivolous_fay
    Forumite
    soolin wrote: »
    Unfortunately items listed on ebay uk are in pounds. Therefore the seller is obliged to accept pounds and cannot insist buyer pays in euros, unless of course buyer wants to do so and is happy with the arrangement.

Wow... learn something new every day.

I can't see why someone in the euro zone would object to paying with euros though - I'm sure it won't be a problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure