icelolly.com?!? How trustworthy are unknown travel agents??

Options
Hiya folks just a quick bit of advice needed really.
Just been onto icelolly.com and found a few cracking deals to Rhodes amongst other places. I got a 5* All Inc, 7nites deal in June from Glasgow based on 2 sharing to Doreta beach resort and spa for £390.
I called up IMPERIAL TRAVEL LTD who were extremely helpful and the guy confirmed that was the price--no extra. It doesnt include transfers, meals on flight, Insurance and theres a £30fee which he would wave anyway, and flight times are a bit rubbish but all in all its a fab deal.
But is it 2 good 2 b true???? And how trustworthy are these relatively unknown companies like, Imperial travel ltd, sunsave, Bookable holidays, planityourway etc etc???

Thanks for any advice and feedback on this matter.

dov :confused:

Comments

• Diamond_Olly
    Options
    Just make sure that the agent is either ABTA bonded or has some other consumer protection in place. The holiday itself will be ATOL bonded. So your money is doubly safe.
    [FONT=&quot]I am a Travel Agent [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]My company’s ATOL/ABTA numbers are S0466/3973. MSE doesn't check my status as a Travel Agent, so you need to take my word for it. Atol numbers can be checked with the Civil Aviation Authority. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Travel Agent Code of Conduct.[/FONT]
  • Dov_2
    Dov_2 Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    I'm just off the phone to a girl from Bookable Holidays regarding a quote i got via icelolly.com.
    The deal is 7 nights ALL INCLUSIVE in Oceanis Hotel, Ixia, Rhodes
    Leaving Glasgow 20th June, based on 2 sharing.
    The price quoted was £429pp.

This didnt include Meals on Flight, Luggage, Transfers, which now has put the price up to £472pp. I think its a really good deal as its a nice hotel and its AI.

I am thinking of just booking it 2moro but i thought i'd ask everyone who reads this's advice on this deal, and if anyone has had any dealings with this company etc--or make me aware of any problems????

This will be my first holiday booked online and would like to get it right!

Many thanks.

dov:confused: :beer:
  • sturll
    sturll Posts: 2,582 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Most travel agents are dodgy.
  • Dov_2
    Options
    sturll wrote: »

That helps alot cheers! :beer:
  • onetomany
    onetomany Posts: 2,170 Forumite
    Options
    sturll wrote: »
    what? i havent had a problem with them and ive been travelling 4 many years what do u mean?:confused:
  • Dov_2
    Options
    Anyone else got any advice before i book it 2nite?

The only thing that worries me is with the state of the economy just now that a small company like this could go bust?! Where would i stand? I will be paying by credit card but only for the protection it gives me, what does the ABTA and ATOL bonding mean if this was to happen??

Sorry im a newbie to all this online booking malarkey! :rotfl:

dov
  • xxlaurissaxx
    Options
    This was next to the name Bookable Holidays on icelolly -
    ABTA No K2109
    ATOL Protected 9785

Think this is what people mean.

xx
    0/2013
    :beer:
  • Moonchild
    Moonchild Posts: 802 Forumite
    Options
    onetomany wrote: »
    what? i havent had a problem with them and ive been travelling 4 many years what do u mean?:confused:

I think what Sturll is trying to say is that they are unreliable, dishonest, thieves. They will steal your money and run. Con artists, scammers, criminals the lot of them. You won't get a holiday from them, as all travel agents are liars taking your money and lining their pockets. That good deal they offered you doesn't exist and any transactions will see these frauds disappearing into the sunset with your well earned money,

At least that's my understanding of dodgy Sturll?

Don't forget that Sturll once had a bad experience with a Travel Agent, therefore every single one of the millions of holiday transactions every year are therefore dodgy.

However, this analogy doesn't carry forward to any other industries, groups, minorities (I once had a bad experience with a black/gay/disabled/accountant etc) EXCEPT if this black/gay/disabled/accountant is also a Travel Agent.
  • Reggie_Rebel
    Reggie_Rebel Posts: 5,036 Forumite
    Options
    All the black, gay, disabled, accountant Travel Agents I know are fine fellows.
    It's taken me years of experience to get this cynical
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Back from the silliness... the most important thing you need to know from a travel agent is the name and ATOL number of the tour operator. Once the booking has been confirmed, the agent can go bust and your holiday will be protected so long as it is a proper package holiday. That means one company is providing the flights and accommodation at one price, what you want to avoid are the agents who book flights with one company, who may well have an ATOL but only for the flight, and book accommodation through someone else, this happened a lot with agents using XL that collapsed in September. If you buy two pieces, the risk is one piece goes bust leaving you with only half of what you thought was a complete holiday
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure