Tarmac Driveway??

Hi All,

Hope someone can help me!

My mother-in-law is looking to re-tarmac her drive. It's roughly 10m long and thin / standard width (you can reverse a car down but carefully!). She's had a quote today but is worried as she has no idea whether it will be likely to cost 500 or 5000 pounds.

Could anybody give me any guidance or a ball-park figure? She's in rural North Wales so not too many people she can get in for comparative quotes, but I wouldn't want to see her stung!

Thanks for any help!

xx

Comments

• flang
    flang Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    Whats the existing driveway made of? as this can affect the price by lots!
    If its grass expect it to be expensive as you will need a lot off hardcore.
  • Some in depth information can be found at: http://www.pavingexpert.com/tarmac02.htm. There are also links to FAQ and some price guides there.

All things being equal, I'd estimate if you just put down a few inches of tarmac i.e. a crappy backstreet job it'll cost a few hundred, if you excavate to the required depth and use the various base courses (as recommended above) you're talking a few thousand.

Hope this helps.
  • Thanks for your replies, off to look at pavingexpert.com now!

The current drive is concrete- is this a good thing or a bad thing?!

Sorry, am absolutely clueless about this! Could the tarmac be laid on the concrete?

Thanks!
  • Could it - Yes; Should it - No.

Once you've had a look at pavingexpert.com you'll realise that it's not a simple, straightforward job (at least I did). I thought I'd be able to get the concrete drive up, hardcore down and levelled and a professional tarmac job done for under £1000 - how wrong I was.

The concrete is staying where it is for now:D.
  • Yes- just been checking it out... not as simple as the finished product looks at all!

Thanks for your help!
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Loads of cowboys around so be careful, go to a reputable place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure