Barclaycard minimum payment scam

Comments

• NickX
    NickX Posts: 3,046 Forumite
    Alex_B wrote: »
    There is always a minimum percentage amount specified in the T&Cs. I've been through quite a few credit cards and never had a problem like this before.

If you have paid the precise amount detailed on the statement as the minimum required and they received this before the due date, then you have not breached the Terms and Conditions.

If a Barclaycard employee has said that you have, then I suggest that they are simply wrong and I would definitely take them to task over it.

I am not sure but I would even suspect that such a "scam" would be highly illegal and certainly not something that a company such as Barclaycard would entertain.

I suspect that so far you have been "fobbed off" by illiterate and incompetent call centre staff. I strongly urge that you persue this through the Barclaycard official complaints procdure, you want all interest paid refunded and compensation for such a mistake to be made. I know that I wouldn't let them get away with this.

Please keep us posted as to what happens next. Thanks.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    I have a Barclaycard on a 0% offer. I have not had this problem either.

You have not answered NickX's question:
    Did they definitely say that by paying the precise amount detailed on the statement was not enough and breached the Terms and Conditions ?

I assume you have asked them?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Complete shot in the dark here, but is it possible the £30.00 figure relates to a direct debit...if you have one set up?...and the £30.55 figure for paying by other means was mentioned somewhere else on the statement (perhaps secreted away somewhere)?

At the end of the day though, a short concise complaint letter should do the trick...

http://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal-home/customer-service/complaints/index.html

I'd avoid the secure mail option and go for the postal option myself, but it's your call.
  • NickX

This link is about how they round down the minimum payments, but it does not say that making this minimum payment is breaching the Terms and Conditions.

They are simply referring to the fact that rounding down the minimum payment means that the debt decreases at a slower rate, hence more interest accrues (when your not on a 0% rate).
  • Alex_B_3
    Alex_B_3 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Complete shot in the dark here, but is it possible the £30.00 figure relates to a direct debit...if you have one set up?...and the £30.55 figure for paying by other means was mentioned somewhere else on the statement (perhaps secreted away somewhere)?

At the end of the day though, a short concise complaint letter should do the trick...

http://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal-home/customer-service/complaints/index.html

I'd avoid the secure mail option and go for the postal option myself, but it's your call.

I pay online and the minimum amount is clearly stated next to the 2.25% figure of the balance it is alleged to be. Yes, you can't beat good old fashioned snail mail.
  • Alex_B_3
    NickX wrote: »
    This link is about how they round down the minimum payments, but it does not say that making this minimum payment is breaching the Terms and Conditions.

They are simply referring to the fact that rounding down the minimum payment means that the debt decreases at a slower rate, hence more interest accrues (when your not on a 0% rate).

Fair point, but it is along similar lines. I can understand why someone might think I made this up so I am trying to find similar cases.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Now that I have breached the terms & conditions all new purchases are charged at their standard rate and every time I pay an amount off my card it only reduces the zero interest balance. So unless I completely pay off the balance the interest will keep on accruing.
    This doesn't sound right. Normally when you breach the T&C's you lose the 0% benefit on the entire balance...not just on new purchases.

A question...have you incurred a late/missed payment charge of £12 in all of this anywhere?
  • NickX
    Fair point, but it is along similar lines. I can understand why someone might think I made this up so I am trying to find similar cases.

Well they key issue in your case appears to be that Barclaycard are saying that you have broken the Terms and Conditions.

I am absolutely positive that by paying the minimum as set out on the statement, even if that is 2.25% of the balance rounded down, and it getting to Barclaycard before the Due Date is NOT breaking the Terms and Conditions.

If they are saying otherwise, then I would go into dispute with them and take it as far as I possibly could.
  • Alex_B_3
    This doesn't sound right. Normally when you breach the T&C's you lose the 0% benefit on the entire balance...not just on new purchases.

A question...have you incurred a late/missed payment charge of £12 in all of this anywhere?

Definitely not. I went back and calculated the interest they had charged and it was only on the purchases after I had made the incorrect payment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure