PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying from auction - mortgagee NOT in possession

Hi guys. I hope somebody can help.

I'm interested in buying a house from auction. It's described as being sold by the " mortgagee not in possession". I spoke to the estate agent who said that it hadn't been repossessed but that the vendor didn't have keys and couldn't confirm whether anybody was in there or not. They advised me to ring the council but of course because of data protection they can't tell me anything either. Does anybody know what the likely scenario is. I can't view the property because nobody has keys!

I know it sounds dodgy but i really am interested. Is the likliest outcome going to be squatters do you think? And any ideas where i could get information from?

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,900 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Sounds like it is an assisted sale, the property hasn't been repossessed but the lender and owner have agreed that a sale should happen and so the lender is assisting with the sale. Could be that the current owners have moved out and the lender has decided to assist them in selling without actually repossessing.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Thanks for replying. It does say it's for sale on behalf of the mortgagees though. But that they're not in possession?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure