Fiesta ST - fan stuck on, worn battery flat!

2»

Comments

• Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    catflea, you could well be right on that, the OP isn't very well worded.

However my first comments in the first paragraph still stand, I believe.;)
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 January 2010 at 4:18PM
    Inactive wrote: »
    If the engine / radiator fan had cut in, it possibly indicates an overheating problem, this may be the result of having too weak anti freeze mixture, amongst other things.

The fan being on, in itself shouldn't cause the battery to run flat.

The fan should stay on after the engine is switched off until the engine cools. However in my case, sometimes the fan would stay on and drain the battery overnight.

FYI, Having "too weak antifreeze mixture" is not very clever but it would not cause an engine to overheat.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Inactive
    missile wrote: »

FYI, Having "too weak antifreeze mixture" is not very clever but it would not cause an engine to overheat.

Really?.. I thought if say a bottom hose had frozen solid, the coolant would not circulate throughout the system, causing over heating, but you obviously know more than I do.

Surely a cooling fan should not be cutting bin at all in these conditions, or have I got that wrong as well?
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Inactive wrote: »
    Really?.. I thought if say a bottom hose had frozen solid, the coolant would not circulate throughout the system, causing over heating, but you obviously know more than I do.

Surely a cooling fan should not be cutting bin at all in these conditions, or have I got that wrong as well?
    That is not what you said in your earlier post:p If you are stuck in traffic or leave your car idling long enough, e.g. like those stranded in the snow, then IMHO the fan will cut in.

There is no need for your sarcastic comments.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Inactive
    missile wrote: »
    There is no need for your sarcastic comments.

They were not " sarcastic " as you put it, I honestly thought that you knew something different, you clearly do not.
  • I need help! I got a new car battery and now the radio isn't working. Can anyone help? The serial number is M143325.
    Thank you x
  • I need help! I got a new car battery and now the radio isn't working. Can anyone help? The serial number is M143325.
    Thank you x
    Replied to on the ford board
  • katebl
    katebl Posts: 637 Forumite
    Thanks all, just to clarify, the fan came on as soon as the ignition was turned on this morning (even before the engine was started!), all your suggestions have been very welcome and I'll certainly be reading the manual to try and learn a bit more about cars!
  • missile wrote: »
    The fan should stay on after the engine is switched off until the engine cools. However in my case, sometimes the fan would stay on and drain the battery overnight.

your wrong:

my bro's focus bottom rad pipe froze, resulting in the engine overheating and subsequintly caused damage to engine wich when the weathers ok i will repair for him.

no water curculation no cooling, no or wrong mix of water/anti freze i.e too week will cause the water to freeze buy the time the heat of the engine melts the lumps of ice in the pipe the engine's gone tatty byby.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure