Help offline relatives get cheap online tariffs Article Discussion

2»

Comments

• Pensioners under 75 on the 'guarantee element' of Pension Credit who do not receive the 'savings credit' element are pre-considered by GOV to be are at risk of fuel poverty and are automatically offered the WHD by their supplier. The supplier who is legally obliged to offer the discount is pre-informed by the DWP of this, and there is no need for the customer to request the discount.

On a different subject those who are trying to help their aged parent, relative, friend etc with their affairs, should register their aged parent on the priority services register [all of the big 6 have one] which is open to anyone living with a disability or chronic illness, or with a visual or hearing impairment. This will open many doors for those trying to help when 'jobsworth's' and phone jockeys try to block your attempt to help.

- a gas appliance and installation safety check (where everyone in the household is eligible for the PSR)
    - quarterly meter readings
    - help in moving a meter if it is in an inconvenient position
    - a personal password system for gas and electricity staff to use every time they call at the person's home
    - help if they have difficulty in using certain appliances
    - their bills can be sent to a friend or family member on their behalf
    - bills can be supplied in different formats, such as large print or Braille, by cassette or in a different language
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Since I got involved with my mums finances in August, she has no internet I have managed to get her -

£135 credit added to her electricity account, she was in the broader group, so unless you ask you don't get any assistance automatically.

New boiler fitted under the ECO schemed at no cost to her. Did this with BG, they also throw in a free years worth of her boiler insurance cover she was previously paying for at £19 a month.

Slashed her home insurance from £25 a month to £12 and bagged £60 quidco for her.

Switched her gas and electric to fixed tariffs and hopefully got another £46 quidco.

So for probably a days worth of me online for her I think I must have saved her well in excess of £3000.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure