Can I get antibiotics at NHS walk in centre?

Comments

• samboette
    samboette Posts: 399 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 16 June 2012 at 5:58PM
    zaksmum wrote: »
    Thanks teaforone. It's just that I know from experience that if I don't get the antibiotics ASAP I'm in trouble!

Do you suffer with cellulitis?

I do and I am suseptible to it after surgery 7 years ago and contracting MRSA whilst in hospital.

Hopefully the walk in centre will be able to prescribe some antibiotics, we're fortunate here to have an out of hours Doctors where they either visit or you can go into one the surgeries dotted around the county.

If you are suseptible to infections I would speak to your GP about keeping some antibiotics at home. I do and as soon as I feel the signs of an infection I can take the capsules immediately.

Like you, if I don't get antibiotics into my system quickly then I can become quite poorly.

Anyway, I hope you feel better soon!
  • londonsurrey
    londonsurrey Posts: 2,444 Forumite
    Depends on the centre. I went to mine years ago with a cat bite. They cleaned it, but told me to go to my gp because they didn't have a doctor on duty, and so couldn't prescribe antibiotics!

My hand swelled up to three times its size.
  • xoxo_2
    xoxo_2 Posts: 889 Forumite
    The last one I went to gave me antibiotics to take away. I think it does depend on the clinic though. You could always ring ahead and ask to be sure, but i'm sure you've been by now ;)
    :j
  • shirlgirl2004
    shirlgirl2004 Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Depends on the centre. I went to mine years ago with a cat bite. They cleaned it, but told me to go to my gp because they didn't have a doctor on duty, and so couldn't prescribe antibiotics!

My hand swelled up to three times its size.
    At our local centre a nurse saw my son and even though the pharmacy was shut managed to get him an emergency supply of antibiotics. He didn't have to see a Dr and didn't have to pay for the antibiotics even though if he had taken the prescription to a pharmacy he would have.
  • geekgirl
    geekgirl Posts: 998 Forumite
    As Samboete said, I also keep antibiotics with me at all times in case of a flair up of cellulitis, have a word with your gp they should sort this out for you with no problems. Hope you get sorted quickly.
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    samboette wrote: »
    Do you suffer with cellulitis?

I do and I am suseptible to it after surgery 7 years ago and contracting MRSA whilst in hospital.

Hopefully the walk in centre will be able to prescribe some antibiotics, we're fortunate here to have an out of hours Doctors where they either visit or you can go into one the surgeries dotted around the county.

If you are suseptible to infections I would speak to your GP about keeping some antibiotics at home. I do and as soon as I feel the signs of an infection I can take the capsules immediately.

Like you, if I don't get antibiotics into my system quickly then I can become quite poorly.

Anyway, I hope you feel better soon!

Ditto to that one, I'm prone to chest infections if I've had a severe asthma attack or an anaphylaxis attack, so I have a course of abtibiotics and 5 day course of steriods in, buys time till I can get a GP appointment.

One tip with walk in centres, if your on repeat prescriptions or "stronger medicaition (eg, I'm on morphine tablets) my walk in centre wouldn't do a prescription for them, so i was advised to take a copy of my repeat prescription in so they can have all my medication on file. for me the strongest they could give me is an epi-pen, due to they treated my 1st anaphylsis attack. x
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    geekgirl wrote: »
    As Samboete said, I also keep antibiotics with me at all times in case of a flair up of cellulitis, have a word with your gp they should sort this out for you with no problems. Hope you get sorted quickly.

We really do have no hope of getting antibiotic resistance in check. Its a shame really.
  • shortdog
    shortdog Posts: 322 Forumite
    Person_one wrote: »
    We really do have no hope of getting antibiotic resistance in check. Its a shame really.

I assume you have never suffered from cellulitis? It's a very very painful infection of the tissue under the skin, and there is a short (ie hours) window where it can be treated with oral antibiotics. If treatment is not started soon enough, it requires intravenous antibiotics - which really isn't much fun, last time I was 4 days in hospital on a drip as I couldn't get to the doctors in time to catch the infection. I now have a course of antibiotics at home, just in case.
    I keep antibiotics and steroids for my son too, he suffers from severe asthma, and is prone to chest infections. The emergency doctors can't give him antibiotics (they can prescribe, but getting to a pharmacy evenings or weekends round here is nigh on impossible) as he is allergic to penicillin (as am I). Before I started keeping antibiotics for him, he had to be admitted into hospital more than once and popped on a drip until the hospital pharmacy opened the next day, and could give him erythromycin.
    However, neither me nor my son take them unless it is absolutley necessary - believe me, I have to pump my son full of so many drugs on a daily basis as it is, that I hate having to give him more, and he hates having to take more. My daughter hasn't had a course of antibiotics since she was about 3, and she's now almost 10:)
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    Person_one wrote: »

Do you think people take antibiotics for a laugh??
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    zaksmum wrote: »
    Do you think people take antibiotics for a laugh??

Well clearly some people take them when they aren't prescribed, aren't needed, aren't the appropriate antibiotic for the infection if there even is an infection and don't follow the best practice guidelines for dosage and length of course. Hence the problems we're starting to see now.

Hopefully not any of the posters here, but advising stockpiling is not really a great idea.

You have heard of antibiotic resistance surely? You are aware that its a huge problem and a bit of a ticking timebomb?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure