Postage to Malta?

Hi I'm selling some old coins from Malta on eBay that I found. Some recently went for a tenner, and they are no use to me, so that's great.

Somebody has asked if I would post them to Malta (I presume they can trade them in for Euros). I've had a look on the Royal Mail website for postage details but I have no idea which is the correct way to send them. Does anyone know anything about this, I obviously want them to turn up safely. Is it safe to post to Malta, and which is the best way of doing it?

Many thanks in advance for any replies

Comments

• Marty_J
    Marty_J Posts: 6,594 Forumite
    You can find the postage costs for Air Mail here:

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?catId=400036&mediaId=400347

Malta is in Europe, so that's column you need to look at. I would just stick them to a piece of card with stickytape and pop them in an envelope.

I wouldn't bother with tracking for something that costs £10, but its your money I guess.
  • kimmoss88
    kimmoss88 Posts: 190 Forumite
    If I get proof of posting, and it goes missing, could I claim back the money that I would have to refund the buyer? Or is this just for parcels sent to the UK?
  • Marty_J
    Marty_J Posts: 6,594 Forumite
    Yes, you can claim compensation.

According to Royal Mail:
    All Airmail is covered by up to £36 compensation if the letter is lost or damaged and it's our fault. You cannot claim for items of value, unless they are sent by Airsure or International Signed For. Consequential Loss - compensation for any financial consequences of any damage or loss to items of mail - is not available. If your item is valuable, you can buy extra compensation of up to £250 or £500, depending on the destination. This additional compensation is only available when you use Airsure or International Signed For.
  • londonTiger
    londonTiger Posts: 4,903 Forumite
    Royal mail's compensation system is bogus.

I've had numerous packages go missing, I made two claims that were completely ignored, and I can't be bothered to waste my time anymore making claims.

I was on the receiving end of a missing package and the seller made a compensation claim. I was nice enough to cooperate with the seller. RM send a two sided form to the intended recipient to fill out with details of the order.

I'm a seller as well, so I'm organised and keep a record of my activities. I would image an everyday consumer who supposedly ordered goods a long time ago, will not have any recollection of the order, or will not have time to fill out the form. Because they have to go 3 months back into their paypal transactions to get the auction # and full cost of items etc.. This is too much hassle for the everyday consumer and is a requirement for royal mail to have before dishing out compensations.

I don't know how it would deal with international packages. but like others have said £10 package is not insuring, send it out for as cheap as you can get.
  • macfly
    macfly Posts: 2,728 Forumite
    They may come under the exclusion for compensation by being seen as cash, or cash equivalent.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,025
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    macfly wrote: »
    They may come under the exclusion for compensation by being seen as cash, or cash equivalent.

I suspect you may be right, I can't imagine coins being covered going overseas if they would not be covered standard mail in the UK.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • GregtheHammer
    GregtheHammer Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    Personally I would not even send to Malta, I have sent 2 items there & both went missing, on my blocked list now.
  • Pembroke
    Pembroke Posts: 841
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thread started nearly three years ago :mad: I hope the coins have got to Malta by now.
  • Personally I would not even send to Malta, I have sent 2 items there & both went missing, on my blocked list now.

Hello there Gregthehammer, I put a few items on ebay the other day and have had an email from someone in Spain and someone in Malta wanting to bid, asking if I would allow them to bid (ive stated uk only) and enquiring about postage prices etc.

I went to Royal mail...they said use International signed for! I gave the prospective buyers the price for delivery and have just unblocked their individual ebay member names to allow them to bid!

So now im freaking out!!!!! My auctions close in 3 days, they both have 100%positive feedback and a few hundred stars each, does this make a difference?

I digress...my questions are....should I still panic?
    Have I covered my self enough?
    did you used ISF service?
    Did your potential buyers look ok beforehand too?

Im totally skint and cant afford to be scammed!!!

Many thanks in advance
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport