Help! Talk Talk Cancellation Fee

Comments

• If a customer has written confirmation that a contract breakage fee will to be paid then this should not be applied to the account.

Can we have that in English Mark?

TT featured in tonight’s Watchdog on BBC1,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2010/09/talk_talk.html

Mr Bowes, you might like to try the e-mail hotline to head office that will be posted on BBC Watchdog site.
  • Gazdok
    Gazdok Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    We have been with TalkTalk for more than 3 years.
    We came to them lead by probably overambitious promises of free BB.

Initially they sent a BB modem - cost us £30 - which apparently was compatible with my OS at the time... Of course it was not compatible. I could not return the modem but did not get BB either.

This summer I told TT I would leave unless I got BB free as promised 3 years ago and for the first time a very helpful guy said he would arrange everything.
    This was followed by the correct paperwork and then by a phonecall saying "No we cannot offer you free BB ... useless Exchange.." ....
    So everything was reversed or so I thought.

Last month we decided to go to SKY.

Today I received an email alerting me to our last TT bill.
    It showed a "Contract Breakage Fee" of £96.53.

Unfortunately I was unable to contact anyone tonight. I have a feeling there is some more trouble coming TT's way unless this is waived immediately.

Any suggestions from the forum???
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Gazdok, put everyting in writing (keep copies). You will probably need evidence when they set the debt collectors on you and you have to start fighting.

Do not contact them by telephone, verbal "your account is clear" and similar assurances are useless.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Heinz wrote: »
    Gazdok, put everyting in writing (keep copies). You will probably need evidence when they set the debt collectors on you and you have to start fighting.

Do not contact them by telephone, verbal "your account is clear" and similar assurances are useless.
    Fully agree. But your chances of getting anything in writing from a useless outfit are nil. So when you get some kind of verbal promise, you need to put it in writing yourself and tell them that you are holding them to it unless they retract in writing within 14 days.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • vito113
    vito113 Posts: 13 Forumite
    edited 16 November 2010 at 2:15AM
    HI All,

If a customer has written confirmation that a contract breakage fee will to be paid then this should not be applied to the account. In the event this is applied in error this should be cleared from the account with a credit.

Regards

Merk

Ha!!!! You;re reps are always promising people the moon on a stick when you ring them, try getting ANYTHING in writing though! I rang 3 TIMES asking for the T&C's for a new contract, and guess what? When the cooling off period had expired, still no T&C's… and 'No Sir, you're stuck with us for 18 months now so suck it up or pay a huge termination fee!' Nothing but a bloody racket!
  • I cancelled November last year because i had an ongoing problem with the broadband being either slow or just not connecting at all. After numerous calls over a period of 6 months, waiting in for an engineer all day who didn't turn up and trying different hardware i had had enough and signed up to Virgin.
    Talk Talk have since sent me a bill for canceling during contract for £56. I've called them and told them i will not be paying this as they were not providing me with the service i was paying for therefore in my eyes i have good reason for going elsewhere.
    Interestingly i was in the same position with them 5 or 6 years ago and they waivered the fee at that time. This time they appear to be sticking to their guns and the last customer service advisor i spoke to seemed to think i had not given them sufficient time to rectify the problem (6 months?), i asked for a manager there wasn't one available so i asked for one to call me back. That was the 24th Decemeber 2010 and i'm still waiting.
    Has anyone else canceled due to technical faults on the line and had to pay a cancelation fee?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    This would rather depend on whether the fault was on your wiring/equipment or on the line itself. TT are not responsible for the former.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    madassmax wrote: »
    This time they appear to be sticking to their guns and the last customer service advisor i spoke to seemed to think i had not given them sufficient time to rectify the problem (6 months?), i asked for a manager there wasn't one available so i asked for one to call me back. That was the 24th Decemeber 2010 and i'm still waiting.
    And, without doubt, you will continue to do so.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • macman wrote: »
    This would rather depend on whether the fault was on your wiring/equipment or on the line itself. TT are not responsible for the former.

Hmm...this was never established, as i said i had a TT engineeer booked which was going to cost me £30, stayed in all day and he never showed up, when i called TT later that day they said that it hadn't been booked at there end promissed to ring back within an hour to re-arrange and never did. It was at this point i lost my temper and booked Virgin to come out.

The TT line was connected directley into the test socket on the wall (took the face plate off on TT's advice), there were no extensions being used on the cable from the socket to the router and both router, microfilter and all cables were replaced with new items 3 times and the fault still existed. When virgin fitted their router the computer worked fine so there was no fault with that, so unless i had 3 lots of faulty microfilters, routers, etc, it would suggest the fault laid outside the building. The service had been fine for around 12 months prior to this so there was a definite fault somewhere.

I have friends that live locally who also have problems with connections dropping, i think it's a simple case of too many people trying to connect to the same line at one time and it boots people off.

I am assuming that this will be passed onto a debt collection agency at some point, can i still make the same argument then given that it was'nt the debt collection agency who supplied the service in the first place?

I will go to court with this if i have to, surely if you are not recieving the service you are paying for you are within your rights to change that service providor without a penalty?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You need to give them a reasonable period to rectify the defect. In this case, you seem to have more than complied with that requirement.
    Just make sure that you have a paper trail- I assume that you gave them written warning and notice of your intention to cancel?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport