TuneChecker.com: Find the cheapest MP3 downloads Discussion

Comments

• oranabana
    oranabana Posts: 242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    sorry to barge in on this one, but whats wrong with http://mp3.baidu.com (apart from being in Chinese, it works perfectly well for finding tunes)
  • I just found BOTH my albums on there and I've never even heard of it before today. How can this be I wonder?
  • I'm getting an error "sorry we've encountered an error..." before it returns to display it's last successful find.

Is it limiting itself to just the top 40?

I tried 'The Jesus & Mary Chain' & 'Tindersticks' but got the error.
    'New Order' resulted in only two albums & three singles. There's definitely more than that.

Any ideas what the problem is?

Cheers
    Dave F.
  • mfraser
    mfraser Posts: 13 Forumite
    rafraf03 wrote: »
    Fantastic Tool !

Just a quick note that echoes what mfraser mentions to say that eventhough some tracks are not limited (in the number of plays, or time) they may not be DRM free. This is probably the case of the retailers mfraser mentions, but it is true of iTunes as it allows them to track sales, playtimes etc...

Good job Martin on that one ! (wish I'd had the idea !)

It isn't that they have DRM, but that they require their own software to download the files. Which as I'm a Linux user restricts the sites I can use and why I use Amazon as they do provide a downloaded that I can use.
  • Read about it and just tried it out with a search.

Looked up Sambassadeur - Days.
    That is a track I bought yesterday.

The search revealed immediately that it was a single before it looked on sites for it. Interesting that tunechecker knows this information. Does it have a database of artist/title information? Maybe they can provide me what I've been looking for for several years, which is a decent search engine for new release singles.

The search revealed that the track is not available at iTunes but it is. I bought it there yesterday for 79p. I searched iTunes again and it was still there.

It would be useful for the site to give not only the price but the quality (bitrate) and format of the track at each site. I got "stung" at tesco in May 2008 when they relaunched their site with 128kbps bitrates and didn't warn anyone and then refused to refund me on two tracks I unwillingly purchased at that bitrate. Therefore I am reluctant to use tesco again even if they're cheaper.
  • I have just visited the Tesco download site. Nowhere on the entire site could I find it mentioning what bitrate you get. So you have to buy it to find out and then can't return it.

Please, given that those on this site have a lot more influence than I do, try to force tesco to explain more clearly what you are actually buying.
  • Ugi
    Ugi Posts: 3,760 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Is it unfair of me to point out that when TuneChecker says your track is cheapest at Tesco, for example, you would save an additional few % (8% in this case) by going to Tesco through TopCashBack etc rather than direct from TuneChecker?

It's a great tool, and I'm not knocking it in the least, but it's what MSE would suggest we did when buying car insurance!
  • Ugi wrote: »
    Is it unfair of me to point out that when TuneChecker says your track is cheapest at Tesco, for example, you would save an additional few % (8% in this case) by going to Tesco through TopCashBack etc rather than direct from TuneChecker?

It's a great tool, and I'm not knocking it in the least, but it's what MSE would suggest we did when buying car insurance!

Hi Ugi,

In the FAQs on the LHS we include 'Cashback Boost' which explains all about it.
  • Ugi
    Ugi Posts: 3,760 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    MSE_Archna wrote: »
    Hi Ugi,

In the FAQs on the LHS we include 'Cashback Boost' which explains all about it.

Great!

I confess I hadn't spotted that - it seemed easy enough to use that I did not look into the FAQ. Certainly worth bearing in mind if you are looking for the very best deal.

Cheers

Ugi
  • lufoo7
    lufoo7 Posts: 406 Forumite
    i just used it to download the rage against the mashine track from amazon but it didnt charge me, it came up with some kind of promotional discount but my concern is that free downloads dont count towards the charts
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure