The best student mobile phone deals?

Hi, i was just wondering what the best student (or any) mobile phones deals are.
I know that orange offer 1000 free texts a month and 120mins for £25, but i am only looking to spend max £20 (as i can use my PC to call home anyway ;) )

I will need alot of texts and calls during peak times to other mobile networks?

Thanks for you help!

oh, and i also want a good phone, like the k750i

Comments

• alabama_2
    alabama_2 Posts: 43 Forumite
    O2 online 50 gives you 500 free texts and 50 anytime/anyone minutes for £19/month.

Check out https://www.o2.co.uk

And for anyone who is worried about having an online contract, I have had one for 4 years with no problems whatsoever!
  • Stu_Dent
    Stu_Dent Posts: 234 Forumite
    I'm starting Uni in september and wanted a cheap tariff and the best i have found is on o2.
    Its the o2 Online Tariff which gives you 100 anyone/anytime minutes and 100 free texts a month when you top up £10. Once you've finished your allowance of texts you can use the £10 which will give you 100 further texts so overall:

£10 per month for 200 texts and 100 anytime minutes.
  • Thats good, but i also want a new phone,

i found this which is fairly good (18month contract though) http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.viewPayMonthlyHandsetDetails&action=getPayMonthlyHandsetDetails&intHandsetID=296&variationID=133

are there any similar which are not 18 month? As in the second year(Jan 2007) of Uni i'm leaving in the second semester to malaysia campus , so i don't want to be paying while i am in a different country!

Thanks
  • I got a T-Mobile contract. Its 18mnths, you get 300 anytime any minute calls and 100 free texts. Its £16.50 a month for the first 8, then £30 for the next 3, then the lifetime of the contract (month 11 until you cancell or upgrade) is back to the £16.50. You can also get a decent phone with this for free, i got the V3 black RAZR, gr8 phone.
  • jr666
    jr666 Posts: 247 Forumite
    uhhhh... vodafone offered 12 month contracts as well as 18 month on that link.

I dont think the k750i has a 2MP camera BTW :confused:
    Come to my garden in South Bucks and i'll find you a wasp...
  • Well you get a new phone with an o2 online if you commit to a contract
  • The idea of saving money but also wanting a new phone doesn't really go together. Certainly the O2 Payg deal is the best out there at the moment - Uni is expensive enough without suddenly getting hit by a £50 quider, coz you forgot how much you were using it!
  • fragster
    fragster Posts: 385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    something like this: http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/commerce/servlet/gben-pd-ProductDisplay?PN=NETWORKS.NOK66806MFLR&origin=SPECIALOFFER

one of the best offers, free nokia 6680, £3.99 rental for 6 months, after that £30 pm but you can downgrade to a lower tariff if wanted after 8 months, inclusive 500 free minutes anyone anytime a month and 100 texts
  • jr666
    jr666 Posts: 247 Forumite
    I'd avoid all "cashback" schemes from the likes of e2save and carphone warehouse like the plague. I'm still fighting for £180 refund from e2save and have had to send off several very firm letters.

Stick to a contract where you pay for what you get if you pay £25 a month you will get a package that reflects that. If you want to pay £3.99 (or less) a month you will still pay £25ish per month and get refunds after 6 and 12 months. The hassle involved in getting this back is not worth it. I'm regretting the day that e2save ever recieved a phone call from me signing up for a new contract.
    Come to my garden in South Bucks and i'll find you a wasp...
  • misskool
    misskool Posts: 12,832 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Switched to Vodafone 18 month deal. best so far and have not had to pay over the monthly line rental. It's called stop the clock, you pay only the first three minutes of your off peak calls, doesn't matter how long you talk for. It's valid for cross network calls as well. It doesn't work for a 12-month contract though, which is a shame.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure