The Ultimate February Challenge

Comments

• OK so heres my Feb budget is for me and the three kids!

Fuel £130
    Groceries £200
    Spends £90
    Total: £420

It sounds a lot looking at some peoples but its actually going to be quite tight, considering we have 3 days out planned for Feb, 2 cheap ones plus my youngests birthday treat which will probably be kids cinema and lunch out plus a cake. I have got him a gift already. I'm aiming for 15 SFDs, and have planned them already on my calender around days I know i'll be spending such as after school activities, etc This was something I struggled with last month, hopefully it will mean i'm more likely to keep at it. Cant wait to see how much extra I have to chuck at the debt mountain at the end of this month!!
  • Yeah Kerfuffle, please enlighten us to what a London Fog is?
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,050
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Hi everyone, well my £67 has gone up to £72, as when I was just sorting a drawer out I found £7, honestly old age has its advantages - forgetting where you put things:rotfl:

I have also made chilli and bolognese this morning so Im going to freeze it into 4 portions and this afternoon I will make a pie and a lemon drizzle cake to slice and some scones and freeze the lot, and believe it or not I wont have spent a penny:) its all from stores and the freezer - mind you Im getting withdrawal symptons as I can the back of my tin cupboard in one place:rotfl:

My menu for each week will be:
    Spag Bol
    Chilli
    Stew
    Something on toast
    fish
    Pie
    Toad in hole or something with sausages

Thats the evening meals sorted (the same each week x 4), the lunch time ones will be couscous, rice and pasta on work days (4 a week) and the others something out of the cupboards!!!

I have half a tank of fuel left so as long as I use the car only on work days I should manage on £20 out of the £72. Im looking after my DGD for 3 nights in Valentines week and DD has said she will give me fuel money to take her to school (they live about 15 miles away)and DGD has school dinners and tea at after school club so its only a wee bit of supper I'll have to find for her.

At work we have a trolley for the local food bank so I aim to put an item in there every week, as I dont go up into town unless absolutely necessary (not strong enough yet not to spend anything whilst Im up there), but having said that I dont think Ive seen any homeless up there - unless I just dont notice any, thats terrible isnt it - there are plenty people selling the BI though

Anyway thats me for today,and Fairy3 Im not sure if I will achieve my aims but I will have a bl**dy good go:rotfl: oh by the way all bills come out by DD so dont really have to pay cash for anything, even CC I pay through the internet but I will do that on a spend day

Jxx
    PS Stirring words Kat I will have to keep reading them over and over to keep me going:T
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen

• Kerfuffle
    Kerfuffle Posts: 1,384
    First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite

Kerfuffle- Whats a london fog????????????
    poodlegal wrote: »
    Yeah Kerfuffle, please enlighten us to what a London Fog is?

Ooops, It's a drink. Earl Grey tea made with steamed milk and a splodge of vanilla syrup. A bit like a vanilla latte but with a tea bag instead :rotfl:The first time I had one I ordered it from the description, I loved it and told my daughter what I'd had and she told me it's called a London Fog, so the next time I went into a coffee shop I requested it by name and sure enough they knew what it was. I'd never heard of if before and I'd be interested if any of you guys went into a coffee shop (the kind with barristas ;)) in the UK they would know what it is. I'm not sure if it's just an American/North American thing or not.
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    *Shuffles in, embarrassed*

Am i able to join in again please Kat?

Why are you shuffling? Why are you embarrassed? Just skid into the room and announce you're here!

Good to have you back with us, and just so you know, lot's of people have been loving your lemon rice recipe ;)
  • Marylea
    Marylea Posts: 80 Forumite
    Greetings!

Grrrrrrr, glad January is over, it started well, but went down hill over the last 10 days or so, can't even face updating signature as went over budget for Food & Fuel massively!
    No matter, I will start February with renewed vigour and a better resolve to make sure it goes a little better than January, at least February is a shorter month!

Tonight I will update signature re: outstanding debts, at least these are coming down and not being added too. AND most importantly they are now all (apart from overdraft) on 0% interest.

This month I am going to try spending on an empty credit card, to save accruing as much interest on my overdraft........and then pay the credit card in full at the end of the month......will need to be strong to make sure this happens!
  • Can I just sign my month away and comeback later and post budget when iv checked our bible at home please x
    2 week 5:2=5.5lb off.
  • Just read NSK's stirring words earlier today, what a way to get us all onboard, in line, ready to fight for our DFD whenever it may be.

UFS Budget

£430 as follows,

Food £180
    Petrol 80 (usually £90)
    Birthdays 40
    Social outing 120
    Treat 10

based on Kat's instructions

1. yep I'm in for the duration
    2. Dont get much in the way of ys but make lsome little food purchases - it gets me out at lunchtimes! nevertheless
    3. i will still try for as many SFDs as i can get.
    4. £430
    5. have downshifted to Aldi for creams etc. Hair products- downgraded from salon colour treatment (£40ish excluding cut)to home colour but it does cost almost £10 - please can i keep this
    6 only one outing that will cost me anything - includes travel and a meal that i will pay for - £80
    7 Food budget normally £200 cut to £180 for this month
    8 Cupboards quite bare, freezer almost so. will try to clear that this month
    9 didn't manage this in DDD - chickened out as our homeless people ususally want money, so i gave to the food bank instead. This month I will do as I am bid by NSK and buy the hot drink.
    10 sorry, I really can't do ebay so I am going to see if there is anything i can sell to make this £50 minimum
    11 i do this anyway, have never liked shop sandwiches etc much.
    12 £10 treat included in the budget above but if NSK disallows the hair colour then that will be my treat.

So, there it is, the dirty dozen rules for February. let's hope we can all keep to them and make Kat proud. Good luck to all.

Onwards and upwards
    MFIT -T5 #42
  • Count me in too plz Kat :jim up for the challenge, can i get a number plz:j

Budget for food £100 for me and my teenager, am gonna raid the cupboards and see what i can use
    Total debt - £16,687.86 approx. - Paid so far - £13,156.30 - £350. a month to DMP - DFD 17/01/2019 But I WILL make it sooner!!
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Kerfuffle wrote: »
    Why are you shuffling? Why are you embarrassed? Just skid into the room and announce you're here!

Good to have you back with us, and just so you know, lot's of people have been loving your lemon rice recipe ;)

Thanks Kerfuffle.
    i am embarrassed for 2 reasons really. The main one being the way i just dropped out of January's challenge, and the second being that i am in a worse state, financially, than last time :(

Glad to hear my lemon rice has been adopted by people, i LOVE it!

The coconut rice is also lovely, as is the tumeric and chill, lime and coriander etc etc (i love rice, can you tell?) :D
  • Siouxsie32
    Siouxsie32 Posts: 1,987
    First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    Thanks Kerfuffle.
    i am embarrassed for 2 reasons really. The main one being the way i just dropped out of January's challenge, and the second being that i am in a worse state, financially, than last time :(

Glad to hear my lemon rice has been adopted by people, i LOVE it!

The coconut rice is also lovely, as is the tumeric and chill, lime and coriander etc etc (i love rice, can you tell?) :D

New month, new start :) Good to see you back. I LOVE coconut rice - did I miss the recipe or are you saving it for February ;) Ooh, ideas for what would go with coconut rice? I sometimes make coconut couscous with peas and halloumi cheese as my take into work lunch. That would work well with rice. Mmmmm, I'm hungry!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure