HSBC - Nasty thing they just sent me. (secure key)

Comments

• chazzee
    chazzee Posts: 71 Forumite
    You also have to use it for mobile banking including the iphone adapted version as well.

It's an inconvenience having to fish it out every morning, but I guess it does stop the impact of fake websites which can only be a good thing for less internet-savvy customers as well as the bank.

Would have preferred a small RSA Key like I use for work related remote VPN access.
    Reformed Saver!
  • Mr_K
    Mr_K Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    fkelanne wrote: »
    i love mine
    think you need to get out a bit more;)

Thankfully mine hasn't arrived yet, hopefully it's lost in the post. If it does arrive it'll be ignored. I haven't seen any reports of anybody being blocked from their accounts for not registering it. Until/if they do block me its business as usual. I've a Halifax account I'm can transfer everything to if they aren't flexible.

What they need to do is just make this for making payments/setting up new payees. I could live with that as that's the major security risk on an account. Needing it every time you log on is complete overkill and treats us all as though we're all numpties who who are careless with security details. Carrying these about everywhere will inevitably mean lots are lost/stolen, which will highlight you have an online account with HSBC - one piece of the jigsaw for somebody interested in hacking your details.

Fraud is much more likely from somebody peering over your shoulder and viewing your PIN, or from corrupt shop/petrol station/restaurant employees. They be better spending the money on developing software for fingerprint/retina ID checks.

TREAT US AS ADULTS WHO RESPONSIBLE FOR OUR OWN ACTIONS....
  • Lith
    Lith Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Mr_K wrote: »
    think you need to get out a bit more;)

Thankfully mine hasn't arrived yet, hopefully it's lost in the post. If it does arrive it'll be ignored. I haven't seen any reports of anybody being blocked from their accounts for not registering it. Until/if they do block me its business as usual. I've a Halifax account I'm can transfer everything to if they aren't flexible.

What they need to do is just make this for making payments/setting up new payees. I could live with that as that's the major security risk on an account. Needing it every time you log on is complete overkill and treats us all as though we're all numpties who who are careless with security details. Carrying these about everywhere will inevitably mean lots are lost/stolen, which will highlight you have an online account with HSBC - one piece of the jigsaw for somebody interested in hacking your details.

Fraud is much more likely from somebody peering over your shoulder and viewing your PIN, or from corrupt shop/petrol station/restaurant employees. They be better spending the money on developing software for fingerprint/retina ID checks.

TREAT US AS ADULTS WHO RESPONSIBLE FOR OUR OWN ACTIONS....

Fair Play,

But your not thinking in the long run... there was a member on here (need to search)

That said HSBC online banking kept nagging him to use the security key. i think over time this will be the only option so no matter what you say... you will have NO CHOICE to use this..

its tiny has not caused me any hassle (yet...)

(but i do agree with what you say no disrespect)
    HSBC (Main A/C)
    Halifax Back up A/C
    Lloyds (Spending) A/C
    RBS Back up A/C
    Barclays Old A/C
    Nationwide Old A/C
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I just got mine in the post this morning and it's annoying me already.

I have a "secure key" for Nationwide but it's optional so I have just shoved it in a drawer and forgotten about it - but this HSBC one is going to be compulsory.

It also means that HSBC doesn't work with my Egg Money Manager any more.

It wouldn't be so bad it you could have a "spare" one so I could keep one at home and one at work.

I'm all for greater security but if you expect people to carry these around they are only going to be lost. I travel a lot with work so I'm always using internet banking from hotels and airports. This just makes it more of a pain.
  • adc82140
    adc82140 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Mine's broken already. No power to it. Just phoned up HSBC in a bit of a strop and made them read out my entire bank statement. What a pain in the a*se. 5-7 days to send out a replacement :mad:

Tempted to move to NatWest.
  • Doshwaster wrote: »
    so I'm always using internet banking from hotels and airports.
    More than I'd care to do - but if I was then I'd be grateful for every bit of extra security that might be available ...
  • td_007
    td_007 Posts: 1,212 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why couldn't HSBC stick to the card reader? At least then I would have to carry around just one thing. Now I need to carry around two such contraptions if I want to access online accounts. More inconvenience rather than security I say..
  • Wesker
    Wesker Posts: 1,386 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've got one and not too keen on it :( certainly dont check my account online as often as i used to.
    What happens when the battery runs out? Need to wait days for them to send a new one out. What happens if i got bills that need paying and cant access online account :mad:
    Errrr...come back later ;)
  • My heart sank when I saw HSBC demanding we all use a Secure Key. I also bank with Barclays, and found the Secure Key a real hassle.

First, the banks are just protecting themselves here...internet banking is insecure so they want it more secure...after all they want you to use cashless methods and so give a promise to make good any fraud on your card. That is the point...they carry the risk if your card is misused, ultimately...or am I mistaken. It would be distressing to find your account hacked, but I think the banks have to pick up the tab if it is not your fault. Hence an extra layer of security for the banks benefit primarily, sold to us as if it is for our benefit.

So 4 things to remember, a pin code, a place, a person, and a street.

First time I used it, I had written down a coded reminder to myself of the place, person and street, but getting information overload forgot to make a coded reminder of what my pin was. Even forgot they would ask for a pin. So when they did I went, erh...um, perhaps it was this one. The card locked showing "pin error 1", or something and would not unlock. Forgot to ask at the bank what to do the next day, and 7am today remembered I may need to transfer some money over to another account to cover a standing order due in. Found the key was still locked, so clicked on "forgot your pin code" button. Asked the other security questions. But for some reason would not accept one of them (perhaps I had cap lock on first time I entered it?). So I tried a few variations of capitals and lowercase, but the machine then locked me out completely for trying too many times. So phoned the number they told me to, and after a menu of options to get through to the right area I had to press to speak to an operator..."sorry we are open 8am to 5pm" or similar in that stuck up tone of voice they use on the ansamachine...Agh! Meanwhile I roast in the thought that the standing order might bounce and put a mark on my credit rating too.
  • BritRael
    BritRael Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    Sharon87 wrote: »
    I get having the secure keys if you want to set up transfers and transfer money to them, (like Natwest does) but not to log in! ...

er...sort of true. I'm overseas and just tied to log on but it wont let me because I've not used this computer before. So I must use the device one time to 'register' the puter. Unfortunately, I've not brought the device with me :(

Other than that, I like. It only takes seconds to log on with it (5 minutes???) so no problem. :)
    Marching On Together

I've upped my standards...so up yours! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure