PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does a downstairs bathroom increase value of your property

Grolsch30
Grolsch30 Posts: 209 Forumite
edited 1 February 2010 at 11:31PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi,

Does a downstairs Toilet increase the value of a property?

If so would estate agents just add on standard percentage increase to the value of the property, like say a standard 5% increase in value of property box ticked.
Or would it be based on how good the size/fixtures/fittings/ how good the Toilet/ washbasin/ tiles downstairs looks and then adds on whatever the estate agent feels.
Or does it not realy matter to the value of the house if there was an extra Toilet or not.

The reason I ask is that i am hoping it will increase the value of my property as I am paying to have a downstairs toilet fitted (costing me a small fortune!), with the outlook to put my 3 bed semi on the market in a few months.

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Does a downstairs bathroom increase the value of the property compared to what? No bathroom at all, instead of an upstairs bathroom or in addition to an upstairs bathroom? Where is the downstairs bathroom sited, is it convenient and work well with the layout of the property? Do you even mean a downstairs 'bathroom' i.e. a room containing a bath?
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • A second 'facility' is a good selling point. Its 'worth' will depend on the buyers' preferences.

Some might prefer an en-suite, rather than downstairs.
    Act in haste, repent at leisure.

dunstonh wrote:
    Its a serious financial transaction and one of the biggest things you will ever buy. So, stop treating it like buying an ipod.
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 February 2010 at 11:25PM
    I think they mean a downstairs cloaks i.e. lav

In a family house a downstairs lavatory will be a selling-point especially if the upstairs bathroom includes the only other lavatory.

Adding value? Maybe, depends on what space has been lost to install the additional lav.

If you're tootling around in the kitchen it's much more "convenient" to pop next door to use the facilities but not if your dinner-guests in the living-room can clearly hear you tinkle
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    edited 1 February 2010 at 11:29PM
    what will it actualy be

bathroom
    shower room
    cloakroom
    toilet room

where is it in relation to the rest of the downtairs rooms.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I can't see many people paying extra for a house with the bathroom downstairs.
    If that's the only one in the house and you need to 'go' in the middle of the night, it would put me off the house.

I have a second loo downstairs, is that what you meant, i'm sure that's looked upon as a bonus to any potential buyers.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • I have a bathroom upstairs with shower and bath, it's a 3 bed semi and its home to me the wife and our 2 year old son.

I probably did not explain myself correctly, We are fitting a downstairs toilet to complement the bathroom upstairs.
    We have the space and room available but we just wondered whether it would have a positive impact for when we come to sell or whether it does not make any difference to a valueation.

Thanks Fire Fox I shall edit my posting to make it clearer.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If you're tootling around in the kitchen it's much more "convenient" to pop next door to use the facilities but not if your dinner-guests in the living-room can clearly hear you tinkle

Some new build houses that were built by me had a second loo downstairs, but it was under the stairs, and the stairs were in the lounge.
    Can you imagine coming home from the pub with friends of a Saturday night after drinking Guinness and eating a curry.
    Your guests would hear more than a tinkle.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    second loo is normally better than no second loo but it depends whats lost to create the space. Often its the understairs or small cupboard next to the front door. This year i have taken away our downstairs loo (more like a outhouse) and bricked up and knocked down walls to make a decent utility room cost about a grand. Not sure if increase its value but it would sell better IMO and looks much better
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • Hehe. I think for a serious bit of that kind of numero dos the upstairs bathroom would be a must, nay compulsory
  • Hopejack
    Hopejack Posts: 507 Forumite
    edited 1 February 2010 at 11:46PM
    If your house is a 'family semi' and it sounds like it is, then while a downstairs wc might not attract a premium price tag (or add much more value), it would certainly tick the boxes of more families than a house that didn't have one - perhaps meaning you might get an offer quicker if you do have one. Downstairs wc's and young children go much better together than running upstairs with them all the time!

ETA - really not sure downstairs second bathrooms i.e. full kit, attract any more value?? It's not something I'd look for - as another poster says, if you are going for another bathroom, I think it's better to make the master ensuite if the space permitted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure