Job Seekers Allowance - Entitlement?

2»

Comments

• blondie21
    blondie21 Posts: 582 Forumite
    I was made redundant and have an appointment at the job centre with the hope of signing on for job seekers allowance. Am i entitled ? My husband works. I was working only a few hours in 2004 2005 and 2006 and didnt earn enough to pay tax but went full time in jan 2007. Think they said I may be eligible for contribution base JSA ? is this correct ?
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    blondie21 wrote: »
    I was made redundant and have an appointment at the job centre with the hope of signing on for job seekers allowance. Am i entitled ? My husband works. I was working only a few hours in 2004 2005 and 2006 and didnt earn enough to pay tax but went full time in jan 2007. Think they said I may be eligible for contribution base JSA ? is this correct ?

It would depend on whether you have paid enough National Insurance Contributions rather than tax. The time from January when you worked full time is too recent to be part of the contributions they look at. The Job Centre will check your record to see if you can receive Contribution based JSA, but even if you dont you can still sign on for National Insurance credits.
  • Nemo
    Nemo Posts: 189 Forumite
    I didn't mean to start a fight:D

'jfdi' and 'healy', is this type of thing part of your job?

Just trying to get a some 'final advice'. Is this correct?...If I try and claim now, I may be sanctioned for up to 26 weeks. All the time sanctioned for is lost forever. Alternatively, If I leave a claim until the 6 months is up, and I was still out of work (obviously hoping this won't be the case), I would then be able to claim for up to a full 6 months from that date. At this point I'd just need to prove when I was unemployed from, as currently they haven't taken any details.

When you've mentioned a pension of over £50, do you mean currently receiving? I'll receive £100 from my final salary pension, but not until I'm 60.

Thanks.
    Nice to save.
  • blondie21
    blondie21 Posts: 582 Forumite
    healy wrote: »
    It would depend on whether you have paid enough National Insurance Contributions rather than tax. The time from January when you worked full time is too recent to be part of the contributions they look at. The Job Centre will check your record to see if you can receive Contribution based JSA, but even if you dont you can still sign on for National Insurance credits.

according to my employer i was paying the Big stamp ????
    going to the job centre on tues so hopefully they will help me
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    It sounds as if you were paying National Insurance contributions from what you have said so you should get the conts based JSA, but the Job Centre will check this and confirm if this is correct.
  • diddlydum
    diddlydum Posts: 209 Forumite
    If you made enough NI contributions you'll get contribution-based JSA for 26 weeks, and this is paid at £59 per week approx. If you didn't you probably won't get anything, as your husband's income will be too high for income-based JSA (which is means tested).

Nemo, if you claim now you may be sanctioned for between 1 and 26 weeks, but if you can show that you left the job because of stress and ill-health then the decision maker should decide not to sanction you at all. It may be that they decide to sanction you anyway, but you can appeal this decision, although I know from experience that the appeals service have a backlog of about 3 months at present.

A sanction doesn't stop your claim, it stops the claim being paid out, so if you were sanctioned and you couldn't be bothered to appeal you'd need to wait for the 26 week period to end before claiming. During the sanction period the clock is ticking on your entitlements based on contributions, if you keep the claim active (i.e. if you get a 26 week sanction and you sign on you'd lose the lot).

I don't like to see people arguing about advice, it looks a bit unprofessional, really. Although a fair few of us on here are professionals dealing in this area, you should always get independent legal advice before making a life-changing decision. I, for one, end up posting here through memory (my books are at work) and my memory isn't always perfect...
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day.

Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

-Terry Pratchett.
  • Hi,
    Thanks for all the info so far, very helpful. I have a question, I would be very grateful if anyone could answer.
    My husband has recently been made redundant but re-employed by the company on a freelance basis. So far he has not claimed JSA but the work looks like it will dry up soon, although we really have no idea. I am currently unemployed (I didn't go back after my 2nd maternity leave ended).
    We have savings so he will prob only be entitled to 6 months but if he claims and then gets work do the weeks get extended or does he just lose the money? Also how much does he have to earn minimum to lose a weeks claim?
    Also what happens if I get freelance work?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure