Kia 7 year warranty

Comments

• cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    A seven year warranty on a car is very bold indeed.

I think that it shows the commitment Kia have to the brand here in the UK and they must have great confidence in the build quality to offer this. Having such a long warranty can only be a good thing as other manufacturers may follow suit.

I really cannot see how you can go wrong with a car for under £7K and a 7 year warranty. It makes you wonder how they do it!

Slave labour?
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • flyingscotno1
    flyingscotno1 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A seven year warranty on a car is very bold indeed.

I think that it shows the commitment Kia have to the brand here in the UK and they must have great confidence in the build quality to offer this. Having such a long warranty can only be a good thing as other manufacturers may follow suit.

I really cannot see how you can go wrong with a car for under £7K and a 7 year warranty. It makes you wonder how they do it!

Well... I wonder the value in a 7 year warranty, or whether it is a clever bit of marketing, like Toyota are doing at the moment.

I've read (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caradvice/honestjohn/5286200/Honest-John-how-servicing-can-affect-a-warranty-and-misfiring-airbags.html) that to get full 7 years it has to be 'main dealer' serviced from start which of course adds to costs. Coupled with that cynical me says that gets you back in to look at their nice new range... :rotfl:

We have 2 9 year old cars in the household. I struggle to think of anything that would have been warranty covered beyond 3, perhaps 5 years. I don't know how strict Kia apply it, but I guess much of it could be put to wear and tear related and wouldn't be covered? The faults I got out of warranty were wheel bearings and a ABS sensor going on the blink both wear related...
  • Agree with poster's above, up your budget a little and snap up a used Ceed, with the balance of it's 7 year warranty.

Don't pay too much attention to the badge snobs.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    The Kia 7 year warranty applies to all cars registered since 1 January 2010 and is transferable to subsequent owners.

Prior to this it only applied to C'eed models ( and one other model, I cannot recall which one ).
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    The C'eed looks nice, but I really need something with very low running costs. My new job is not well paid at all and while I have the savings to buy the car in the first place, I don't want to keep eating into them because of petrol costs! I'm also trying to be a bit greener so I don't want to get a bigger car than I need. Thanks for the suggestions though!

Think I'm going to give my Kia garage a ring and ask if they've got any nearly new (since Jan 1st) cars in stock, then ask to see the small print on that warranty!

Will I have to pay for services at the dealership or are they included do you know? Sorry for the stupid questions, but I hardly know anybody who buys new cars so I'm a bit clueless!
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Person_one wrote: »

Will I have to pay for services at the dealership or are they included do you know? Sorry for the stupid questions, but I hardly know anybody who buys new cars so I'm a bit clueless!

As with all cars, you will have to pay for the servicing costs.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Although I think Kia are fairly tight on prices it will pay to check around other dealers and online so you have an understanding of prices and any deals available (eg 0% finance etc).

As part of the deal you might want to arrange a 3 year service package (if available), but do your sums..

So my advice is research, research and more research.
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    Inactive wrote: »
    As with all cars, you will have to pay for the servicing costs.

See I told you I was clueless :(

I thought warranties had the services included in them as free. My ex never paid for his services on his 3 year warranty (I just asked!) but maybe that varies from deal to deal.
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Kia servicing is cheap priced compared to many brands but the service we get is just the same. As to warranty, we are on our second Kia. The 1st one from new was faultless, we even took an option to extend after 3yrs up until 5 years and still never needed to claim. Our current Kia (bought 'new' as a preregistered model) had a minor thing we hadn't really even noticed (suspension bush), it was shown to us and warranty fixed for free without quibble by the dealer in a follow up visit after a service.

A Ceed is of course much better, but for a simple commute trundle each day a Picanto is perfectly adequate and one of the very few cars in this size with 5 doors.

Finally don't take any notice of any people scoffing about Korean cars, the latest engines in Kia's are more advanced and capable than in many mainstream brands such as VW or Ford, some people refuse to accept this but thats their problem. I can't remember ever buying a car without haggling between 10 to 30% off and Kia were no different. (15% on new, 10% at least on used)
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    We have a Kia Sportage diesel auto, a diesel Sorento & I have just bought a Kia Rio 1.4 petrol.
    Well pleased with all three cars, excellent value for money & well, a 7 year warranty just about says it all.
    I have have several small items etc replaced under warranty with no quibble.
    Don't like the Ceed, poor rear view & banged my elbow on the centre console every time I changed gear.
    Personally I would buy new if you can possibly afford it, word of warning tho.
    They will try to sell you all sorts of things with the car....ie
    Payment Protection
    GAP & RTI Insurance
    Breakdown Insurance
    Just say no !!!
    If you are concerned about servicing costs go into your Kia dealership they have all the various service prices up on display.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure