Want To Cancel Your Virgin Media Contract?

Comments

• Gayle06
    Gayle06 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Hi hope someone can help me!! I've had a contract with NTL/Virgin for over a year and have had nothing but problems with them, so decided to cancel contract and go with another provider. I rang up Virgin and asked to be cancelled and cancelled my direct debit at the bank. My bank satement came the following month and I had a missed direct debit from the month previously for Virgin that went out the day I cancelled the contract with them. I rang them and they said that I couldn't cancel the contract with them as I now had a debt with them. I no longer receive any products off them now but they are still charging me every month as if I did. I have rang them countless times and the answer is still the same they won't cancel the contract until the debt is paid, does anyone know if they can do this. Please help, my debt is increasing by the day, Thanks Gayle xx.
  • Does anyone know if its possible to get out of a contract early with VM without having to pay an arm and a leg? 7 months into a years contract but circumstances have changed and can't take it with me when I move.

cheers
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Gayle06 wrote: »
    Hi hope someone can help me!! I've had a contract with NTL/Virgin for over a year and have had nothing but problems with them, so decided to cancel contract and go with another provider. I rang up Virgin and asked to be cancelled and cancelled my direct debit at the bank. My bank satement came the following month and I had a missed direct debit from the month previously for Virgin that went out the day I cancelled the contract with them. I rang them and they said that I couldn't cancel the contract with them as I now had a debt with them. I no longer receive any products off them now but they are still charging me every month as if I did. I have rang them countless times and the answer is still the same they won't cancel the contract until the debt is paid, does anyone know if they can do this. Please help, my debt is increasing by the day, Thanks Gayle xx.

You have to pay up to thirty days on from the date of cancellation (one months notice). If you cancelled your DD too early and they didn't take that amount, then yes you have a debt with them and they won't close the account until you settle. You might also find they have added a failed DD admin charge.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • bazturk wrote: »
    Does anyone know if its possible to get out of a contract early with VM without having to pay an arm and a leg? 7 months into a years contract but circumstances have changed and can't take it with me when I move.

cheers
    I have had to cancel due to moving properties. I had 7 months left of the 12 month contract and I pay £49 per month. I was advised that I would make a payment on the 27th october (as i pay in advance i think) and around the 27th November £180 would debit my account and that would be the account closed. The CSA told me they cap it at £180. Technically I should be paying £343 for the rest of my contract. Give them a call and find out how much it would cost to settle the account.
  • abbuuf
    abbuuf Posts: 2 Newbie
    I cancelled my virgin media account last year and have some useful tips on this subject.

I cancelled my account online, and apparently it had not gone through properly, I cancelled my direct debit, thinking this would be fine as I was not prepared to pay anymore having given the 30 days notice.

I was only informed that my account had not closed once the debt I had accumulated had ammounted to £171.

Obviously, I wasn't happy to pay this, so I informed the credits department (08454541111) what had happened and they said they would look into it. A few moment later an employee called John rang me back and said not to worry about it anymore as he had realised that my cancellation had not gone through and (i thought) sorted it.

I started receiving phonecalls from virgin media once a week and even text messages informing me to call them. I called them twice, I was growing increasingly annoyed with the constant harrassment from them. Each time, they informed me of the increased amount I owed (£232 in the end).

I had moved house so I gave them my new address and they started sending me letter informing me of my apparent debt. It turns out that 6 months after I had moved out of my old house they still had not cancelled my account, and the lack of communication between staff members left me recieving mixed phone calls, letters and texts.

In the end, I wrote a long complaint to customers services explaining to them the problems I had had and how increasingly annoyed I was getting. I gave them Johns name, and informed them of pretty much every converstaion I had had with their staff members. All of these phonecalls were during office hours, even though I had requested the first tiime they called me that they called me after 5pm.

Almost instantly I received an email from the customers services department informing me that they had closed my account and removed all debt.

I think that if you have any issus with closing your account, you should keep track of all the names of the staff you talk to, and make a complaint as soon as you're unhappy with any service you are receiving.
  • I'm about to cancel my account too - dd you try that address? I just dont want to spend half the day on the phone to retentions people when all i want to do is cancel.
  • So i got a contract about 4 months ago from one of the virgin salesmen on a stand in town and so far, ive had nothing but promlems.

The offers that I signed up for apparently dont even exist?!

I had service for the first month and when the initial payment was due I had the £30 in my account that I had agreed to pay not the £38 that they tried to take. I asked if I could cancel because I had not agreed to the contract they were trying to make me pay, but my service was just blocked.

I've contacted them countless times to try to sort it out since my first bill came through. I sent them a copy of my contract, called numerous times, but nothings been done. All I have is a growing debt because of THEIR mistakes. Ive been told that I now owe them around £200 and it will cost me £80 to get reconnected.

Ive had letters threatening debt collection agencies etc etc..

I just want rid of them, any ideas?
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,439 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    you signed a contract - they post a confirmation of the contract prior to installation - on it is the itemised price.

You should not have stopped the direct debit, you should have continued to pay under protest at the amounts being claimed until the resolved your issue.

Avoiding paying and accumulating debt will only end up causing you far more issues.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    They'll know you have a contract, the issue is what you believe you have entitlement to and what they are supplying. Where it fass apart, is that irrespective of what the salesman told you, VM would have sent you a letter confirming the service to be supplied and the cost to be charged, if this is different from what is billed you have a good chance of resolving the issue. However, your real issue is that your Credit File will be showing the late payments, and possibly a default as service has been terminated for lack of payment. It might be better to identify the issues and seek a resolution asap.
  • Can anyone help, have been a customer of virgin media for over two years will there be a problem cancelling it as I have been a customer for so long, was going to cancel the direct debit but now reading this thread not so sure ???? Can anyone help. Many thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure