Barclays Overdraft PPI ?

Hi all, as a lurker of these forums for a while now, I have picked up some extremely useful titbits - for that I and many others I'm sure, are grateful. One particular posting got me thinking about my own situation with regard to my current overdraft fee on my Barclays account. To be honest, I say fee because I set it up back in mid 2007 (via the on line process) and have always considered it to be a fee with built in insurance - but, after reading about something similar on this forum, I now realise (and I know I should have realised before), this may in fact be a PPI - the cost is 80p per £100 of overdraft limit (regardless of whether the overdraft is used or not).

With regard to potential mis-selling, I do remember the on line process would not allow me to proceed further unless I ticked the box to allow for this fee / insurance (this was because I have a £250 "fee free" overdraft in place as part of my current account). Yes, perhaps I should have just cancelled it by calling into a branch but, lesson learned, I didn't. Hindsight is such a wonderful thing.

My question(s) if anyone can kindly assist with are:
Does this sound like a potential mis-selling scenario ?
If I were to start a mis-sell claim, are Barclays likely to withdraw overdraft facilities (which I know are repayable on demand if they so choose).

Thank you for taking the time to read this, my first post, if any more info is needed, I am happy to supply it. With that, I look forward to reading any replies.

Rgds.

Comments

• I honestly don't know in all real honesty but I if I was the bank, I would withdraw the overdraft if you claimed against me! Totally useless post, sorry! I hope someone who knows for sure will stop by and advise you!
    Save 8k in 2013: Member #100
    £450 / £8000
  • obi62
    obi62 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Cheers for that duck egg - wasn't quite the reply I was expecting but, as you say, hopefully some one may be along a little later to advise. Rgds, Obi.
  • JohnT1974
    JohnT1974 Posts: 41 Forumite
    it may be a PPI policy (£0.80 per £100.00 overdrawn) but I suspect that this is an overdraft charge, not PPI. I had the same.
  • obi62
    obi62 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Thanks John - tbh that's what I thought in terms of it being a charge but, having re-read the policy on line, it appears to offer 10% of the overdraft limit as a payment if unemployed / sick etc -(regardless of whether the overdraft limit is being used or not) - smacks more of an insurance to me than an actual charge but, if anyone has had further first hand experience of this product, I would appreciate a steer. Cheers folks. Obi
  • Hi
    I had overdraft protection on my Barclays account too.
    I put in a complaint with Barclays on 20/04/2011, after they were being difficult when I tried to cancel the insurance, stating that I needed it (I am a housewife and carer and also had/have life and critical illness cover with other providers).

I got premiums paid to date plus 8% interest refunded to my account on 03/08/2011.

So yes this is PPI and if you were mis-sold I would make a complaint.
    Hope this helps.
    Good Luck
  • Buy the way Barclays have not withdrawn my overdraft facility:o
  • I have recently been made aware that I have PPI on my overdraft, stupidly I thought this was just a normal overdraft fee! I wrote a letter to Barclays to cancel the PPI and to also ask if they could provide me with the date the PPI started and a copy of the signed agreement, I have received a letter from Barclays stating that this has been forwarded on to the PPI Claims Dept hmmm!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure