PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Do you keep opened jams/sauces/condiments in the fridge?

Comments

• comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I used to keep ketchup in the cupboard, until i heard about how an open bottle, when it gets warm can 'ferment' and cause a build up in the bottle, and sometimes it explodes - but in the fridge, the low temps stop it doing this. I guess unopened bottles and the sachets are ok, because they wont have the air in them which, i assume, helps the fermenting process!!!

Of course, this might be one of those old wives tales, but i didnt fancy an exploding bottle of ketchup in my cupboard.
  • Helonearth
    Helonearth Posts: 137 Forumite
    We keep ketchup, mustard, pickle and loads of varieties of brown sauce in the cupboard, and they have always been fine. Would agree though that jams and marmalades do last longer in the fridge, especially when my dad insists on using the buttery knife in the jam!

Also, I know lots of people keep eggs in the fridge but we keep ours on the windowsill and never have any problems. Obviously not once they are cooked though!

Hope this helps!
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,111
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    catowen wrote: »
    I used to keep ketchup in the cupboard, until i heard about how an open bottle, when it gets warm can 'ferment' and cause a build up in the bottle, and sometimes it explodes - but in the fridge, the low temps stop it doing this.
    Do you think it could still explode if it's in a plastic bottle :confused:

jcr16-thanks for that. :T I'll go and get some. We only stopped shopping at morrisons when we moved to the opposite side of town.
  • madmum33
    madmum33 Posts: 635 Forumite
    If DH loves mustard and you don't want to keep jars of it in the fridge, you can still buy English mustard powder which you mix with water and does exactly the same job as the jars, plus it seems to last forever (I have a tin still going strong and I daren't look at the best before date!)

I keep mayo, salad cream/dressings, tomato puree in the fridge, most other stuff doesn't last long enough to worry about it (and my cupboards are full to bursting).
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Spendless wrote: »
    Do you think it could still explode if it's in a plastic bottle :confused:

Think you would be ok there, only heard about bottles - someone couldve been pulling my leg, about the exploading bottles, but as it says on the side refridgerate after opening, i didnt want to take the chance!!!!!

Now eggs i do know about - one of the mums at our school used to work on her sisters chicken farm, and she told me there was no need to keep eggs in the fridge although you can if you want to.
  • scheming_gypsy
    scheming_gypsy Posts: 18,410 Forumite
    Alikay wrote: »
    I keep all open sauces in the fridge, plus jam, marmalade, chutney and pickle. The only open jars of moist stuff I keep in the cupboard are marmite, honey (it sets) and syrup (too sugary for anything dodgy to grow in it). My mum never used to keep any of that stuff in the fridge and we never got ill from it though!

i think i've got an AE :eek:

if it's wet and in a bottle then it goes in the fridge. My mum kept everything in a cupboard, until i left home strangely enough and then she started putting it in the fridge.
  • celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Mayo and salad cream always live in the fridge, but I keep most stuff in the cupboard, but to be honest, my flat is often colder than the fridge (I had to microwave the marmite this morning to make it spreadable!:rotfl: )! Eggs live in a basket on the windowsill too. :o On the rare occasion I buy pickle I find that it keeps far longer than the "use within six weeks" even out of the fridge - I'm still eating a jar that's 7 months old, kept in the cupboard all along and it's fine. :D
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • Noozan
    Noozan Posts: 1,058
    First Post
    Forumite
    I keep my opened jars and bottles of sauces in a cupboard :o , if i put them in the fridge, I wouldn't have room for anything else! The only thing that goes in the fridge is mayonnaise and that's only because we both like it cold.
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
  • liney
    liney Posts: 5,121
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    All in the fridge here.
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • debtworrier
    debtworrier Posts: 250 Forumite
    madmum33 wrote: »
    If DH loves mustard and you don't want to keep jars of it in the fridge, you can still buy English mustard powder which you mix with water and does exactly the same job as the jars, plus it seems to last forever (I have a tin still going strong and I daren't look at the best before date!)

I always make up dried mustard in an eggcup. It's exactly the right size for being a mini mixing bowl! If you like hot mustard, then after mixing the mustard powder with water, beat it hard in the eggcup for 15-20 secs.

If you mix mustard with mayonnaise/salad cream, then you have "american" mustard for hotdogs etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure