Solid Fuel CH V Gas Central H

Hi Yall,
After using this site weekly for the past year I thought I should join - Can anyone advise me re the following:
We have a multifuel stove that heats all of the downstairs of the property (3 bed semi) a gas stove for chilly nights, storage heaters downstairs and panel heating upstairs. We have a multipoint hot water system and an electric shower. Downstairs except the kitchen is always warm with the stove but the storage heaters are just not upto the job. Today got my monthly statement through and I am now paying £70 a MONTH Electric and only £26 each eight weeks for solid fuel that keeps the stove on simmer 24/7. In view of this we have decided that we need to completely re think our heating.
Are there any grants available towards Solid fuel heating and hot water systems? Or are there grants for a new energy efficient boiler - I cant find anything for people not on benefits. And which would be most cost effective to run?? I dont mind the time the stove takes up and would prefer to have heating via solid fuel but at the end of the day we need the most cost effective and energy efficient system that can do the job.
Any advice, links or contacts would be brilliant - thank you all.

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    I think your best starting point is here:

http://www.solidfuel.co.uk/frame/main.html

A pal of mine fitted a modern solid fuel CH boiler that is light years ahead of the old ones. It had a big hopper and he could leave it for 2 or 3 days on 'simmer'(as you put it) and it had an electric fan to get it blasting away in minutes if required.

IIRC it was not as cheap to run as Gas(there was none in his village) but a little cheaper than oil.
  • Have drawn a blank with no gvt grants avilable, even towards a woodburning system which dont emit carbon emissions and are so environmentally friendly, but did find one company who are offering a substantial subsidy towards installing an energy efficient heating system!! Um, you have to take part in the programme to be eligiable to qualify for fuel savings which they claim will cover the cost of the system - appox £15 - per month gives you heating and hot water for a 3 bed semi! I have a rep coming on Monday evening and we shall see,,,,,just what he has to offer, Im a tough nut to crack and can withstand hard sales - if you want to have a look at their claim the website is https://www.powersave.uk.com
    I dont have anything to lose!! Will keep you posted. (0:
    Pola
  • Cardew
    polabear wrote:
    Have drawn a blank with no gvt grants avilable, even towards a woodburning system which dont emit carbon emissions and are so environmentally friendly, but did find one company who are offering a substantial subsidy towards installing an energy efficient heating system!! Um, you have to take part in the programme to be eligiable to qualify for fuel savings which they claim will cover the cost of the system - appox £15 - per month gives you heating and hot water for a 3 bed semi! I have a rep coming on Monday evening and we shall see,,,,,just what he has to offer, Im a tough nut to crack and can withstand hard sales - if you want to have a look at their claim the website is https://www.powersave.uk.com
    I dont have anything to lose!! Will keep you posted. (0:
    Pola

Frankly any firm that advertises using the "we need show houses – cash assistance offered" pitch is justifiably ruled out by most people immediately; especially when there are ‘limited places’ available. That applies to Kitchens, double glazing, bedrooms or “energy efficient gas systems”!

Also you must expect a certain degree of cynicism when someone joins this forum and on the same day posts a question about “energy efficient systems” and the next day comes up with such a system and will keep us posted!

That’s not an accusation but as you are a ‘tough nut’ and given the subtle, and not so subtle, attempts by salesmen to peddle their wares on this site you can no doubt understand that people get suspicious!
  • I get your point, the only thing that I am currently selling is paintings on Ebay of English Bull terriers (0: but, looking at my post now,,,,um, well Im not a saleswoman - just the owner of a very tired 1960s parkray stove and soaring heating bills. I didnt mean to sound like a advert for the above posting, that was unintentional, but I got my cavity walls done and loft insulated 2 years ago for £120 - and I thoght that was an absolute bargain at the time, and so did my friends and family, and anyone else that I could tell about at the time.

I am very doubtful about the claims of £15 p month for both hot water and heating, and the fact they would not give me a system price on the phone saying they had to come round and measure the rooms etc, but my husband is a joiner and not stupid, and will not be taken in by someone trying to blag it with us, and I would just like to see how they get these figures, if nothing else its worth an hour out of our evening just to see exactly what they have got to offer, if anything at all.
    Pola.
  • Cardew
    Pola,
    Well you might like to be armed with the following information when they visit!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/reports/home/home_20051018.shtml

To save you looking it up:
    Powersave Corporation Ltd / Energen
    18th October 2005
    Powersave Corporation Limited, based in Sheffield, claim their heating system reduces pollution AND will save you money on fuel bills.
    They find their customers by mail-dropping homes in Wales and across the Midlands and the North of England. Pam and Tony Morris from Oldham were impressed by Powersave Corporation Ltd's promises and invited one of their salesmen into their home.
    Powersave's parent company Energen, arrange the installation. Pam and Tony paid Energen £5,500 for their new central heating system.
    Pam and Tony's central heating system broke down two days after the engineers left and never consistently worked in the twelve months it was installed. After complaining for several months, Pam and Tony decided to replace the system themselves, an extra cost of £2000.
    Jane Coote's new central heating system was installed by Powersave Corporation Ltd last June. The installation was so bad that she was left with no hot water and heating for several days at a time. She eventually took them to court, but the company didn't even bother to turn up so Jane won by default. She was awarded £5,500 in costs. So far she has only received £500.
    Energen, it seems, don't have the money and according to the latest company accounts, neither do Powersave Corporation Ltd. They have got just £629 in the bank and are technically insolvent.
    We contacted Powersave Corporation Ltd and their representative Charole Hurcombe told us they stand by their performance, training and customer care. She states their next accounts will reveal "a huge investment programme" and that they're restructuring their senior management to improve service.
    If you have experienced problems with Powersave Corporation Ltd or Energen, or similar companies then contact your local trading standards: https://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk
    Powersave Corporation Ltd has absolutely no relationship to Powersave Direct Ltd.
    More on:
    http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=34545

This link might also be of interest(parent firm):

http://energiheating.co.uk/index.asp?SI=index.htm

Mmmmmm
  • Thanks for the info, interesting reading.
    Im cancelling the appointment on monday, no point wasting my time with them, thanks
    I think will just have to do the leg work and get local companies/plumbers in to give us comparison quotes - or get the backboiler on our parkray up and running and put in the rads, bit by bit ourselves - but shall continue my hunt.
    thanx Pola
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Hi Polar........get gas....save lots of trouble....I am running a 3bed semi with gas central heating and electric shower , tho no main cooker...Bills combined are £250 a year...so it can be done, considering the insulation you have already. Don't have the hot water cylinder on at all except for clothes washing, not ideal for a family, so perhaps add on say £50........Did have a Raeburn for years whilst working but a sod to keep in and liven up. Lifes too short.
  • £250 a year! MY GOD I wish, I will be paying £1,200 this year and its freezin up stairs right now ! I also do my clothes washing using econ 7 and have a rack for drying my clothes in the kitchen and where poss have low energy light bulbs and no kids, £250 that sound's just too good to be true!! How often is your heating on if I may ask? as I only work p/t I do need the house heating for most of the day, and dont want my dog getting cold whilst Im out either.!!
    £250 ! Still cant quite believe that !
    Oh tell me about keeping the stove in, was almost in tears last night, out of kindling and wood, trying desperately to revive a flaggin stove with an old pair of slippers and firelighters ! annoyed is an understatement!! Considering him in doors is a sodding joiner!!
    (0:
    Pola.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Am retired, Polar...about most of the day...have all the heat and electric I want, and computer..on Powergen Age Concern Pre Dec O5 contract, and Martin's comparison site says Equigas is £30 cheaper. You must have all the doors open. Was a gardener so could get all the wood ever, and used coal dust to keep it in overnight.Mind you this quarters bill is going to be hefty. Heating on normally 5.30am to 8am and then in the evening for 4 hours, but this winter is bad. .A brisk walk helps with the circulation.
  • Unfortunately I have another 25 years to go to retirement!! So I dont think age concern will entertain me! And dont tell me about brisk walks - have a 1 year old rescue bull terrier who keeps me more than fully active during the day!!
    (0: Will have to do my sums with unit costs etc and just take my time and get it right, but so glad I have cancelled Mondays appointment and got some constructive info from people -
    Cheers Pola who is off to work very soon.................
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure