Is REALLY BT policy to mis-sell to vulnerable OAPs who are protected by LPAs?

grannybiker
grannybiker Posts: 12,128 Forumite
Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
Worse things will have happened in the world today...
"The only thing that really matters, it to love and to be loved."

Comments

• Oh yes. They were taking £58 a month off my 88 year old mother, for a plain simple phone line and nothing else. When i eventually found out i rang them and cancelled it. They then tried to charge me £26 to disconnect the line, i told them they had ripped my mother off enough already, and that I was not going to additionally pay them to go away . They said she was contractually bound ( dont see how, she had been with them 40Years), so i told them to produce contract with two wet signatures or a voice recording where she agreed to pay £26 to be disconnected, and take that evidence to the county court.

I didnt hear any more from them and she was switched to Virgin in 24 hours.

The old ex-nationalised industries are the worst for ripping people off - BT, British Gas, etc.
    **** I hereby relieve MSE of all legal responsibility for my post and assume personal responsible for all posts. If any Parking Pirates have a problem with my post then contact me for my solicitors address.*****
  • toniq
    toniq Posts: 29,340 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I'm so disgusted at how you have been treated, Another reason for me NOT to use Bt. Hopefully the Bt Rep on mse might be able to help you as you haven't found anyone helpful at bt yet.

Really hope your mum is ok x
    #JusticeForGrenfell
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Oh yes. They were taking £58 a month off my 88 year old mother, for a plain simple phone line and nothing else.
    Are you sure £58 was not her quarterly bill (£14.60/month line rental x 3 = £43.80 before any calls etc. are added)?
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • BT_company_representative
    BT_company_representative Posts: 1,861 Organisation Representative
    Hi

I have just seen your post and would like to look into your issue, if you check out my profile section you will find my contact details

Regards David
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of BT. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 25 April 2012 at 3:12PM
    I have opposite experience, my mother would not switch from BT, she trusted them and in the main she was justified, they turned out on Christmas day to fix a fault in the cabinet up the road, in the rain, rural village in Wiltshire

I had registered my mother as "vulnerable adult" [dementia and mobility problems] with BT and reliant upon a panic button

I know it is fashionable to knock BT, but from my experiences over 40 years I can't say I have had many problems

PS I did have LPA as well
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,505 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sorry if I'm the only one.....but the original link just takes me to the BT Facebook page ...whats that got to do with BT flogging anything to OAPs with an LPA (lasting power of attourney??)
  • grannybiker
    grannybiker Posts: 12,128 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm the only one.....but the original link just takes me to the BT Facebook page ...whats that got to do with BT flogging anything to OAPs with an LPA (lasting power of attourney??)

The link should take you to the Friend Activity section.
    On the right, 2nd post down at the moment is the thread... (Have C&Ped OP that has appeared on their page due to BT being tagged in the status ;))

Please do not be misled that I actually like BT UK. I think their marketing teams are unethical... You can't post directly on their wall tho' :/....
    Their highly efficient sales rep sold my elderly Mum the full TV, internet & phone package when all she wanted was a landline in her sheltered housing. After less than 2 weeks I rang to cancel, but they wanted over £500, despite me explaining Mum has ...dementia and problems understanding. She has no computer and extra TV channels just confuse so she can't even watch ordinary TV now. Am appalled, particularly when I wrote to complain as they advised and got the same "She's had a contract!" response. She could have half a rainforest of paper and it would mean nothing!

Among the 42 comments below are some more details.

HTH :)
    Worse things will have happened in the world today...
    "The only thing that really matters, it to love and to be loved."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport