Buying a car on a V plate, would you do it

Hi
I'm after abit of advice please. I have seen an Audi A3 convertible on a V plate, year 08 for £15,750.
I have rang the man selling it who said it is a Cat c and has had the front corner and door replaced/repaired.
Would people say stay clear of this. Have I read something about being able to get them re-categorised so that it is not on a V plate.
The man said it has been checked by Wozz, whatever that is.

ANY ADVICE PLEASE, THIS IS CHEAPER THAN OTHERS BUT OBVIOUSLY BECAUSE OF THE v PLATE.

tHANKS
jULES

Comments

• harveybobbles
    harveybobbles Posts: 8,973 Forumite
    I assume you mean VCAR and not V plate...?
  • harveybobbles

Thats probably his mate daaaaahn the pub
  • Kilty_2
    Kilty_2 Posts: 5,818 Forumite
    Cat C cars have usually had a fair whack, I wouldn't touch one personally. Don't know what you mean by V plate, unless you mean VCAR as said which is just the database of writeoffs and their categories.

How much under market value is £15750?

:rotfl:
  • Hi
    This is the description on Aututrader of the car.

8,000 miles, 2008/ 08 REG AUDI A3 2.0T FSI S LINE CONVERTIBLE, IN CANDY WHITE, ELECTRIC HOOD, ONLY COVERED 8000 MILES FROM NEW, ** LOW MILEAGE **, 2 KEYS, 6 SPEED MANUAL, FULL S LINE BODYKIT, 18" AUDI RS4 ALLOY WHEELS, FULL BLACK SPORTS LEATHER SEATS, FRONT ARMREST, PRENIUM SOUND SYSTEM, FRONT FOGLIGHTS, SPORTS STEERING WHEEL, SPORTS GEAR KNOB, CLIMATE CONTROL, REAR PARK TRONICS, AUTO HEADLIGHTS, DRL REAR LIGHTS, TRIP COMPUTER, LOOKS AND DRIVES 100%, ON V CAR, BRAND NEW CONDITION THROUGHOUT, CHEAP AT ONLY £15, 750 ONO !!!. £15,750 ONO.

You are probably right to say stay away, it was that I liked the car and was cheaper than the others and the car I wanted. Think it will be back to the drawing board for something more affordable. The cheapest other A3 convertible I can see is over £18,000 but you say cat c will have had a right whack puts me off.
    I probably should have alarm bells ringing
  • Kilty_2
    Kilty_2 Posts: 5,818 Forumite
    I'd definitely not touch it tbh. If the insurance company didn't want to repair a £20k car then what kind of standard has the repair been done to in order to sell it for £15750?

Cat D I could almost justify if I had a good idea as to what the damage was (with proof), Cat C no.
  • harveybobbles
    also, to write off a £20k car - what type of damage did it have...?!
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

Harveybobbles may well be right, or he could've said VOSA.
    Did he sound a bit like Jonothan Ross?

:D
  • jd82
    jd82 Posts: 306 Forumite
    Avoid like a plague. Most trivial accidents this would have been repaired. You can make a repair look good but if the crumple zones have not been properly restored the car could be a death trap. It certainly won't be as safe as a new one.

You will be much better of getting an older straight one for the same money. Also with it being CAT C you will have a much harder job selling it on.
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    also, to write off a £20k car - what type of damage did it have...?!

Doesn't have to have had anything serious. If it has been stolen then once 6 months has transpired, if it turns up it will go to the insurers who have paid out. It will then usually turn up at a salvage auction.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Nowhere near cheap enough. Depending on engine its about the going rate if it had not been written off

£15,810 part ex price with a private poor condition of £14,195 on the parkers website.

Thats without it being a writeoff, It should be cheaper than the private poor value.
    and not £50 but a couple of thousand less.

If you plan to keep it forever then, worth a risk but get a full engineers report. If you plan to sell or trade it in within the next 5 years you will be virtually giving it away.

If you tried to trade that in now i wouldnt b suprised if the dealer offer £6k for it, If you could find a dealer than would take it.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure