PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

fabric softener

Comments

• Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    mamaoba wrote:
    I order it in bulk from a local iranian grocer so do get it cheap he gets it for me at cost price fom the wholesalers at Xmas - but it's still more expensive per kg than soda crystals ..

May I just clarify that soda crystals are not the same as bicarbonate of soda.
    I notice your fabric softener recipe is the same as the one I posted but you refer to bicarbonate of soda as "baking soda" - which is correct, they are both the same, ie bicarb being the UK terminology and "baking" soda being US.

Soda crystals (UK) are the equivalent of 'washing' soda (US)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • mamaoba
    mamaoba Posts: 130 Forumite
    thanks for that clarification I should have made it clearer in my post - I always use the term baking soda as that's what my Cornish Granny used to call it lol! "washing soda "(blue packet 52p in tescos) and "baking soda" (bicarbonate of soda) so we didn't add the wrong thing when making fairy cakes :rotfl:

I still use the same phrases so I don't get em mixed up despite being 34 now not 4. I freely admit to being a natural scatter brain :rotfl: I'll try and remember to make it clear which one I mean in furture posts.

My cleaning recipes and most of my cooking ones are all converted to cups as I just find it easiest to remember without having to look them up every time.
  • halloweenqueen_2
    halloweenqueen_2 Posts: 3,312 Forumite
    Thanks - I thought it must be EO and not the spice, I don't seem to see OE on sale as much as it was a few years ago, wheres the best place to buy it please?
  • anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    Could I use a few drops of Essential Oils in the ironing water or would it mark the clothes?
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • clairehi
    clairehi Posts: 1,352 Forumite
    Im a bit confused as to why you would combine vinegar and bicarb in a cleaning recipe.

the cleaning power of vinegar is because it is acidic; and of bicarb is because it is alkaline, on their own they react with various types of dirt, grease etc to dissolve it and remove it from surfaces.

but when you mix them together they effectively cancel each other out as per the following reaction from GCSE chemistry

ethanoic acid (vinegar) plus sodium hydrocarbonate (bicarb) = salt (sodium ethanoate) plus water plus CO2.

am I missing something here?
  • halloweenqueen_2
    I may be wrong but the fabric softener doesn't aid with the cleaning as such, Its more of a rinse aid that provides a nice smell and keeps the clothes soft?
  • BIG BIG THANK YOU! to all of you who helped, I have been using vinegar and lavender oil this week, my clothes feel cleaner rather than coated with something synthetic and smell trully gorgeous!!!!
  • halloweenqueen_2
    I've nearly come to the end of 750ml bottle so will be giving this a go soon, I have hunted through the cupboard and found a few bottles of EO - knew they'd come in handy!
  • halloweenqueen_2
    Guess which muppet forgot about the reaction - even after doing the 'volcano's' with DD!
  • Where can I get a laundry ball????????? I really want one!
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082! :cool:
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 £16,956 Debt now: £0.00 :j
    Aims:[STRIKE] clear debt, get married, buy a house[/STRIKE] :D ALL DONE!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure