How much will the PDSA charge me?

My cat is not very well just now, and I want to get her seen by a vet - she's been throwing up, among other lesser issues - and I know I am in the PDSA hospital catchment area for my local. What I don't know is, how much will they charge me to treat her? I'm in receipt of Housing Benefit.

I'm going to take her either way, I'm worried about her, but knowing how much it will cost me would be a great help because it'd mean if I need to borrow some money to get her seen sooner rather than later, that I can budget for that.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
Homosexual, Unitarian, young, British, female, disabled. Do you need more?

Comments

• Tropez
    Tropez Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    The PDSA will not charge you anything. They will ask for a donation, in which case give whatever you feel you can afford.

A relative had to use the PDSA Pet Hospital for one of their pets and visited the vet five or six times over a six month period. They gave a donation of around five pounds each time.
  • Trialia
    Trialia Posts: 1,108 Forumite
    Oh, I'm really glad to hear that. I wasn't sure, because it said on the website they wouldn't charge for consultation, but they didn't say anything about any particular cost for treatment and I wanted to check. Thank you!
  • hi, as has been said, you will be asked at reception if you would like to make a contribution. you do have to pay for any flea/worming treatment (at a discounted price), but you dont have to pay anything extra for any medication your fur baby may need.

just make sure you take all your documents with you, they will tell you on the phone what proof of benefits you will need to take. hope its nothing too serious xxx
    'there goes an old transexual, last seen heading south,
    her friends call her Bernie but her real name is Ralph'
    Felicia, Priscilla Queen of the Desert
  • undaunted
    undaunted Posts: 1,870 Forumite
    As said above you will only be asked whether you wish to make a donation.

Hope your cat is soon on the mend.
  • Trialia
    Trialia Posts: 1,108 Forumite
    *nods* All done! Thank you! I did get flea and worming stuff for her, since she's due for the latter and it turns out she does have fleas which have been causing the poor girl a touch of dermatitis (I missed them because normally when cats in my family get fleas I get bitten by them, and I didn't this time). She's also got a bit of a tummy bug, so the vet gave her a couple of doses of penicillin and some more to take home. :) £15 in all, which is fortunately much less than I'd have expected from a private vet. And she didn't seem to mind being carried 'round the city too much either! :) (I had to take her to the human hospital with me afterwards, as I didn't have time between appointments to cross the city to take her home.)
  • Depending how they are doing at the moment, Trialia, they might like a big box of cheap biological soap powder (Sainsbury's basics is popular down here with them) or tinned fish instead, which kind of feels better than scrabbling around for a handful of change at the reception desk, and it saves them having to do the banking or going to buy the stuff themselves.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family